Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night as I was coming home in the snow, I hit a very icy patch and slid into the curb, knocking the right front wheel all sorts of out (Think broken leg sticking out at an ungodly angle... like that only with the wheel). I was able to get it mostly out of the way before it all locked up and I got out and looked at it (yes, I know, I should not have tried to move it at all... it was cold, late, and I was in the middle of the road, it needed to be moved as much as I could). I eventually got it towed and was able to go up there this morning to look at it before the mechanic was able to get around to it. It looks like I sheared the lower ball joint, and I am missing part of the brake rotor (not sure where it is, maybe in the caliper?). Of note, once everything stopped moving, the engine would rev, and it sounded like the wheels were spinning, but when I stopped and put it back in park there was a grinding feel in the shifter, not real pronounced. I did wait for everything to stop, and my engine was back to idle, so maybe the torque converter? not really sure at this point.

My biggest concern is that I did damage to the tranny/engine when it locked up. I have my insurance claim working now, and will update with the final verdict on damage. But wanted to get any thoughts as to what else may be damaged or what this all may end up costing.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
It sounds like a pretty bad impact and has obviously done a lot of damage. The best thing is to wait for the mechanical report. It could be any of the faults you described.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I am in Pittsburgh too. The weather got a little crazy last night. It was my first time with my CX-3 in the snow. I just bought mine on 12/31.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Terrible! Absolutely terrible!

Totally helpless when you hit ice. About all you can do is swear that next time you'll get studded tires. Up here in Maine, whenever I ask someone why they have studded tires, invariably they recite a similar incident.

Anchorman: "It could be any of the faults you described".
Me: Or, it could be all the faults you described :(

But I would expect your insurance company will treat you right ... so "not to worry".

Yes, Good Luck ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words all. Just got the diagnosis/estimate from the shop, it needs new:
Right Front Steering Knuckle
Right Front Brake Caliper
Right Front Brake Rotor
Right Front Axle
Right Front Wheel and Tire
Total came out to about $3700 from the shop, now to wait and see what my insurance has to say on Monday. The shop is going to use all new factory parts to maintain the warranty which makes me feel a little better, I am just happy that I am okay and that there is no body damage. Hopefully I will have it back this time next week and all will be well.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

I would also insist on an alignment ... ensure there's no structural damage to the "frame".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

I would also insist on an alignment ... ensure there's no structural damage to the "frame".
Definitely on the alignment. I am thinking of insisting that after the repairs are done that it is checked at the dealer just to be on the safe side. With all the electronic controls on it, I want to make sure all the computer settings are right and everything was done to OEM spec.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Your dealer is not doing the repairs? If it's a "regular" body shop, how were they able to determine there's no internal damage to the differential, transmission, etc.?

Yes, before authorizing anything, I'd have an in-depth talk with the insurance company.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Terrible! Absolutely terrible!

Totally helpless when you hit ice. About all you can do is swear that next time you'll get studded tires. Up here in Maine, whenever I ask someone why they have studded tires, invariably they recite a similar incident.
Regarding studded tires... I have a porous paving block driveway; are the studs likely to tear it up? (my house is the biggest house that could be put on the lot; the driveway had to be porous.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As an update:

I got the car back from the body shop after about three weeks (they claimed they were waiting on parts, I don't know if I buy that). I looked it over and there was no visible damage. The body shop owner provided me a boilerplate, bought from a supplier warranty on all parts and labor for the repair. I asked about an invoice he said they don't do invoices (my spidey sense was tingling at this point pretty hard). I picked it up and drove it the mile through the city home. There is sat for the weekend as I didn't have anywhere to go. When I went to work that Monday I noticed on the interstate that there was a vibration from the right front, it came want went with different speeds and was felt only in the floor, not in the steering or shifting, and it was related to road speed not engine speed.

I got an appointment at the dealer since the experience with the body shop told me never to go back there again, no matter what. They took a look at it and confirmed my suspicions, the right front hub had not been replaced. Now how you can justify A) not replacing the hub of a wheel that hit a curb hard enough to require replacement of the axle and B) not do what the insurance estimate said needed done is beyond me, and is downright sleazy business. I authorized the dealer to do the repairs at which point they ordered the part. The hub took about a week to arrive and they had it on inside of two hours.
I contacted my insurance to see if they would cover the second set of repairs, long story short because of a blunder and miscommunication on their end they did end up covering it even though it was technically covered under the first repair.

The car drives great now, like nothing ever happened which I am thrilled about, but it took over a month to get it all straightened out. I even have the hub the dealer took off and is is blatantly obvious it was not new (rust spots from the salt, dirty, and you can feel the rough spot in the bearing if you really play with it).

Buyer beware in Pittsburgh, do not go to Bellasario's Auto Body for anything. Though Moon Mazda was fantastic and I will go back there for anything I need done in the future.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Good to hear you finally have your car back. Sucks that you had to go through all that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts