Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My CX3 is going on 4 years and I'm thinking of an upgrade.
I have some time tomorrow to test drive a CX30, its bigger by 5 inches (172 inches long) and I am liking some of the updated features especially the option for AWD off road. I hate getting stuck in the snow. Hopefully its a bit heavier than the mid trim CX3 I have. I would consider getting the preferred or the premium package.

My current CX 3 is zippy and easy to drive but I find sometimes the limited cargo space (not to mention cramped back seat) can be irritating.

Has anyone else bought in already?

And if I take the plunge, remembering my first fiasco with Mazda, would you:
1. stay away from the undercoat protection
2. ditto with the 'sealant' that protects the finish
3. buy the extended full replacement insurance
4. upgrade tires from stock to better?

TIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
My CX3 is going on 4 years and I'm thinking of an upgrade.
I have some time tomorrow to test drive a CX30, its bigger by 5 inches (172 inches long) and I am liking some of the updated features especially the option for AWD off road. I hate getting stuck in the snow. Hopefully its a bit heavier than the mid trim CX3 I have. I would consider getting the preferred or the premium package.

My current CX 3 is zippy and easy to drive but I find sometimes the limited cargo space (not to mention cramped back seat) can be irritating.

Has anyone else bought in already?

And if I take the plunge, remembering my first fiasco with Mazda, would you:
1. stay away from the undercoat protection
2. ditto with the 'sealant' that protects the finish
3. buy the extended full replacement insurance
4. upgrade tires from stock to better?

TIA
Also considering the Cx-30 but it is only slightly larger than the CX3 (not significantly larger) and seems like the extra space was more for cargo than interior. If interior and cargo need to be significantly larger then the CX5 might be the way to go. Aside from the prominent plastic cladding which I really don’t like on the CX30, engine will be an upgrade and likely a quieter interior as based on the 3 platform. Not sure about the ride as I find the CX3 to be too firm and harsh for my liking and it didn’t help with the torsion rears...I don’t think the CX30 will be any better in the ride comfort dept as it also has torsion rears. Both int and ext design though looks more up to date than the CX3. I’ve never gotten stuck on the CX3 with its AWD and ground clearance of course having proper winter tires or all weather tires helped as I replaced the OEMs 6 months into ownership - the all seasons were like hockey pucks hard on snowy/icy roads!

I wouldn’t get the undercoating and paint protection/sealant from Mazda nor an extended warranty as these are just cash grabs by the dealer. If you really want rustproofing then go with Krown or another rustproofing expert for way cheaper. Mazdas are known to be reliable so no need for a extended warranty. Upgrading the tires yes as stock OEMs usually aren’t that great esp during winters.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was browsing around different vehicle manufacturers and think the Subaru Crosstrek might be a good one to add to my short list.

Looking at the specs of the PREMIUM CX30 - I could not believe my eyes when I saw the driver/passengers side mirrors were not heated. That just can't be - and a deal breaker for me. My first CX3 base model, had no heated side mirrors and I HATED driving down the highway with my window open and trying to clean the mirror with my hand.

I'm intending a test drive today - but as I said, if there isn't an option to defog those side mirrors, its moot for me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
At this point I would probably lean toward the Honda HR-V. It is maybe slightly larger than the CX3 but Honda seems to have the edge when it comes to use of interior space. My young nephew bought one recently and I was quite impressed. Mazda might have an edge when it comes to engineering and mechanical innovation, but for day to day usability, I think Honda might have an edge. Now that my CX3 is finally paid for, the time is almost here...

·
Registered
142 Posts
The CX-30 has no heated side mirrors? Seriously? My apologies but I have a very hard time believing that. They have to - I think the sales person you spoke to was just uninformed. Anyway, last March, I upgraded my 2017 CX-3 Grand Touring to a 2019 CX-5 Signature trim. I cannot be happier. I look forward each and every day to driving that car; it's just that good. Actually, the main incentive was that I needed a usable rear seat (for the Grandkids), and the CX-3 was to me, a two-seater. That being said, I enjoyed the two-plus years with the CX-3 and still kinda miss it. Would have kept it (with the CX-5) if I could have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At this point I would probably lean toward the Honda HR-V. It is maybe slightly larger than the CX3 but Honda seems to have the edge when it comes to use of interior space. My young nephew bought one recently and I was quite impressed. Mazda might have an edge when it comes to engineering and mechanical innovation, but for day to day usability, I think Honda might have an edge. Now that my CX3 is finally paid for, the time is almost here...
While the HRV is larger than CX3 in the interior space and cargo area I looked at the HRV before the CX3 and what turned me off on the HRV was the weaker engine, bland styling and price which was going to come out more expensive overall and that it has a CVT...I’ve also read on HRV forums and there have been significant number of owners that have had issues already with the CVT sometimes even failing while within warranty and some just after the warranty had expired. I just don’t trust it and still prefer a traditional 6-spd auto esp when planning to keep vehicle long term.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was browsing around different vehicle manufacturers and think the Subaru Crosstrek might be a good one to add to my short list.

Looking at the specs of the PREMIUM CX30 - I could not believe my eyes when I saw the driver/passengers side mirrors were not heated. That just can't be - and a deal breaker for me. My first CX3 base model, had no heated side mirrors and I HATED driving down the highway with my window open and trying to clean the mirror with my hand.

I'm intending a test drive today - but as I said, if there isn't an option to defog those side mirrors, its moot for me.
I quick browse on the Mazda Canada website, shows that the base CX-30 GS do not have heated exterior mirrors but the GS and GT do have them (then you also get heated seats and heated steering wheel).
So just stay clear of the base model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it turns out I was on the wrong geographical website. US models appeared to be less heated -
When I went to the dealer yesterday they don't have any cx30 in stock available for the test drive...so am looking forward to that soon.

Like another poster said, I'm not a fan of the HR-V. I thought it looked "okay" when I compared it to the CX3 several years ago, the only thing I liked that was quite different was the 'magic rear seat' that folded down low.

I'm still attracted to the Crosstrek (Subaru) but wonder if Subaru would give me a fair price on a trade in.

One thing that I do have strong opinions about is the layout of the center console for controls of ac, defog, etc.
I would rather have dials so that I can adjust heat/air/and direction without having to look or take my eyes off the road. Some of those vehicle models have only electronic switches (HRV) and that turned me away. I see the new cx30 is kind of half and half...but I won't really know til I get my hands on one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well it turns out I was on the wrong geographical website. US models appeared to be less heated -
When I went to the dealer yesterday they don't have any cx30 in stock available for the test drive...so am looking forward to that soon.

Like another poster said, I'm not a fan of the HR-V. I thought it looked "okay" when I compared it to the CX3 several years ago, the only thing I liked that was quite different was the 'magic rear seat' that folded down low.

I'm still attracted to the Crosstrek (Subaru) but wonder if Subaru would give me a fair price on a trade in.

One thing that I do have strong opinions about is the layout of the center console for controls of ac, defog, etc.
I would rather have dials so that I can adjust heat/air/and direction without having to look or take my eyes off the road. Some of those vehicle models have only electronic switches (HRV) and that turned me away. I see the new cx30 is kind of half and half...but I won't really know til I get my hands on one.
While the Subaru Crosstrek is a nice subcompact CUV with their well-known symmetrical AWD system, I also considered that before getting the CX-3...the turn offs for me were: boxer engine prone to burning oil, CVT (enough said) and expensive pricing (considering its a Niche brand like Mazda) but I guess they are really popular due to a huge following and loyal customer base; my prev Mazda salesguy who sold me my CX3 actually went to Subaru then later on went back to Mazda and saw the diff bet the 2 brands and said that Subaru builds good vehicles but prioritizes function over design and driving dynamics while Mazda was the other way around - still his opinion was that Mazdas were still more reliable than Subarus...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Spending most of the year in the desert, heated mirrors are a moot point for me. But the Crosstrek having a CVT is a deal breaker for me. We bought the CX because it has a REAL transmission. Read the CVT reviews and weep. A belt driven tranny with fewer parts and a rebuild is anywhere from 3000-7000 USD. Really? And few of them make 90K. Pass on that, good luck on whatever you decide...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test drove the cx30 and... it's a heavier, quieter vehicle and has the same 2.5l engine as the cx5. It's got good acceleration and feels pretty responsive-also not the hard 'feel' previous poster mentioned. However some of its features take getting used to. I am not a fan of the console setup. I dislike fiddling with controls and want dials I can change by feel and not having to look. I mentioned to the salesguy I thought acceleration felt quicker with the cx3 but he said because the cx30 was so much smoother and quieter it was giving me a false read. The model was the top model GT.
The cx30 is wider in shoulder room and the car is 5 inches longer at 173. Back seats nice. I did like the blindspot monitor, heads up display is fine, bose stereo is good, and the hold button while on hills could be interesting. The rear led brake lights could have been bigger.

Initially I thought the days of the dial were gone so I assumed the 2020 Cx3 would have changed as well. Not so, I find out--so now I think I'll upgrade to the cx3 GT instead. With the cx30 I don't love it enough to buy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Test drove the cx30 and... it's a heavier, quieter vehicle and has the same 2.5l engine as the cx5. It's got good acceleration and feels pretty responsive-also not the hard 'feel' previous poster mentioned. However some of its features take getting used to. I am not a fan of the console setup. I dislike fiddling with controls and want dials I can change by feel and not having to look. I mentioned to the salesguy I thought acceleration felt quicker with the cx3 but he said because the cx30 was so much smoother and quieter it was giving me a false read. The model was the top model GT.
The cx30 is wider in shoulder room and the car is 5 inches longer at 173. Back seats nice. I did like the blindspot monitor, heads up display is fine, bose stereo is good, and the hold button while on hills could be interesting. The rear led brake lights could have been bigger.

Initially I thought the days of the dial were gone so I assumed the 2020 Cx3 would have changed as well. Not so, I find out--so now I think I'll upgrade to the cx3 GT instead. With the cx30 I don't love it enough to buy.
Did you find the ride of the CX-30 to be better than the CX3 comfort wise? While they both have torsion beam rears and with the CX3 while it handles really good I just find the ride to be too firm and jarring over bumps and potholes since we have bad roads in our area and a lot more wind/road noise getting into the interior...those would be the main reasons for me to consider the 30 over the CX3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts