Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, bought a 2017 CX-3 Grand Touring brand new in 2017. Never had any issues with this car, and I love it! I was visiting the mountains of NC recently where the temperature dropped down to the teens and my car was parked outside. Both times, the car wouldn't start. Note that I have a new battery as of 2022.

The first time it happened, I couldn't even depress the brake. The second time, the brake would depress, but it would not start. I can get the key out of my purse and hold it near the start button, and then eventually, it will start.

Did I just buy a diva that must only be garaged? She's in the garage all the time when I'm home, and I've never had an issue starting it in the garage.

Thanks for any insight!

· Registered
268 Posts
I'm assuming you have a keyless version of the car, in which case have you tried using the 2nd key or changing the fob battery? If not, this could be a quick and inexpensive initial test worth trying. Oherwise it will probably need a visit to a workshop to check out the main car battery and charging circuit plus other diagnostic checks to find out the exact problem.

· Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for responding! I replaced the batteries in both fobs in September 2022, so don't believe that's it. Guess it's a trip to a professional 🤷‍♀️.

A decent shop mechanic should have the appropriate meter which allows them to test the battery circuitry on your car to see if it is drawing current when it should be off and thus your battery charge is being depleted whilst the car is parked. It might not be a lot but in cold weather it might be enough that the battery doesn't then have enough charge to start the car. I'm assuming when you say the car won't start that the start motor isn't turning the car over quick enough to fire up?

It is possible to buy a simple meter such as this https://www.amazon.com/Jebsens-Charger-Battery-Monitor-Voltage/dp/B07K2XL6VX that plugs in the cigarette lighter hole and shows the battery voltage as well as giving high speed USB charging for suitable phones. It will only work if the car engine is running.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all your detailed information! I will get the item from Amazon. The no-start has only happened twice, both times when I was in the mountains of NC and it was parked outside overnight in teen temperatures. First time, the brake was already depressed when I got in the car and it wouldn't start. Second time, the brake was not depressed but it wouldn't start. Once I get the keys out of my purse and hold them near the start push button, it starts. It's very strange.

· Registered
268 Posts
Thank you so much for all your detailed information! I will get the item from Amazon. The no-start has only happened twice, both times when I was in the mountains of NC and it was parked outside overnight in teen temperatures. First time, the brake was already depressed when I got in the car and it wouldn't start. Second time, the brake was not depressed but it wouldn't start. Once I get the keys out of my purse and hold them near the start push button, it starts. It's very strange.
From what you've said re holding the key near the start push button, it would seem there isn't likely to be a problem with the car battery itself. In which case that Amazon it might not be of any benefit apart from telling you your car battery is fully charged and providing usb charge points for suitable mobiles. I think you might still have to get a mechanic to carry out some tests on the car electronics to find the answer to the starting problem in cold weather.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, both times my keys have been in my purse, and I take them out and hold them up near the start button, and the car starts. I'm taking it in soon for an oil change/tire rotation, so I'll talk to the mechanic about the cold-start issue. Thank you so much for all of your valuable information! I appreciate it!

· Registered
268 Posts
No problem. Hope you do manage to get the problem sorted. If so, feel free to reply on the forum with details as it might help any other owner who finds themselves in the same situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts