Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by my local Mazda dealer today (Labor Day) to get a closer look at a CX-3 and maybe drive one. Well, there were customers out the wazoo. People were all over the place. Folks were waiting to be helped by a sales guy. I didn't want to hog up a sales guy since I'm not ready to buy, so I dropped any thoughts of a test drive and just played with one in the showroom.

I love the appearance of the car and I so wanted to love this little car, but I think it's just too little. It just really felt small inside and the cargo area is pretty tiny. The inside was pleasant enough but just not big enough. And I'm not coming from a large car now. I'm driving a Hyundai Veloster which is small. So I don't think I'm overreacting to the CX-3's size. I just don't think it would work for me. I'll need to look at a CX-5.

When I left the Mazda dealer I stopped by the Hyundai dealer. The Tucson and it's twin, the Kia Sportage are a little closer to the size that would work for me. Or the CX-5. The CX-5 is only three or four inches larger than the Tucson and it gets better mileage. So that might be the ticket. Except that my wife wants a CX-5 too :eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
If space is a top priority then the cx5 sounds like a better choice. The 2016 Tucson is as sweet looking vehicle with good space.

I was at the dealer today and I couldnt believe how crowded it was.

Out kids are grown now so for the wife, she just needs a small vehicle for some running around to the gym, visit her sister and nephew, and trips to the grocery store or shopping. This vehicle is perfect for her. We bought a Cermic Silver GT but they didnt have it in stock so they need to get it from another dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stopped by my local Mazda dealer today (Labor Day) to get a closer look at a CX-3 and maybe drive one. Well, there were customers out the wazoo. People were all over the place. Folks were waiting to be helped by a sales guy. I didn't want to hog up a sales guy since I'm not ready to buy, so I dropped any thoughts of a test drive and just played with one in the showroom.

I love the appearance of the car and I so wanted to love this little car, but I think it's just too little. It just really felt small inside and the cargo area is pretty tiny. The inside was pleasant enough but just not big enough. And I'm not coming from a large car now. I'm driving a Hyundai Veloster which is small. So I don't think I'm overreacting to the CX-3's size. I just don't think it would work for me. I'll need to look at a CX-5.

When I left the Mazda dealer I stopped by the Hyundai dealer. The Tucson and it's twin, the Kia Sportage are a little closer to the size that would work for me. Or the CX-5. The CX-5 is only three or four inches larger than the Tucson and it gets better mileage. So that might be the ticket. Except that my wife wants a CX-5 too :eek:
i pretty much feel the same about the size.

however, i was also looking at the new miata but talked myself out of it because it's so not practical. when i compare the miata to the cx-3, the cx-3's size is less of an issue.

i just don't think i could be as happy in the cx-5, a tucson, or a sportage. the cx-3 just looks soo much better than them all, hands down, inside and out.

you really have to compare it to something comparable like the mini clubman and the juke.

can you tell i'm really trying to talk myself into getting the cx-3?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Anyone here think Mazda might need a CX-4 based on the Mazda3 hatch? In the Goldilocks zone between the CX-3 and CX-5.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the Subaru XV is the CX-3's closest rival. The XV is a raised Impreza like the CX-3 is a raised Mazda3. I parked my CX-3 deliberately next to my friends XV all weekend and they are so similar in size inside and out. The CX-3 is small inside but i think it looks worse than it is. A 6' guy can sit behind a 6' driver. You can't cross your legs or anything. My friend and i rode in the back of each others car and greed that is there is a difference in room between the XV and CX-3 you can't tell once you are in it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
CX-3 is a raised Mazda2.
Not quite. The CX-3 uses lots of Mazda 3 components along with the Mazda 2 platform. Much of the drivetrain, hubs, brakes, and front suspension bits come from the 3. Its likely a lot stouter than a raised 2.

Its a kind of hybrid 2/3. They should call it the CX- 2 and half.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Anyone here think Mazda might need a CX-4 based on the Mazda3 hatch? In the Goldilocks zone between the CX-3 and CX-5.
Exactly. Just a little bigger than the CX-3. I would buy that.

Even though I think it's too small for me (CX-3) I should test drive one anyway. It might just be too much fun to pass up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
CX-3 is a raised Mazda2.
The CX-3 is 7" shorter, same width, and 3" taller than the Mazda3
The CX-3 is 4" longer, 3" thinner, and 2" taller than the Mazda2

From what i've seen the majority of that 7" of added length is in the trunk. I'm not sure why you would insist it isn't a raised Mazda3.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The CX-3 is 7" shorter, same width, and 3" taller than the Mazda3
The CX-3 is 4" longer, 3" thinner, and 2" taller than the Mazda2

From what i've seen the majority of that 7" of added length is in the trunk. I'm not sure why you would insist it isn't a raised Mazda3.
The CX-3 is on a Mazda2 platform. It shares many other parts and bits (including the dashboard) with the 2.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The CX-3 press kit issued to journalists mentions that the CX-3 is built on the Mazda 2 platform. Most of the major U.S. reviews to date mention this quite plainly.

Internal component sourcing is another issue entirely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.