Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching an argument about the virtues of cheap, or less expensive gasoline. The gist of it is that it all starts from the same base formula, then the various brands put their own spin of additives in it offering varying degrees of cleaning and protection. Someone with an old car on it's last legs might not care, but owners of a newer car might pay extra for that piece of mind. There is a station in town that sells a good 10 cents/liter less than anyone else, but everyone's reaction is I will pay for it some day in engine damage or some reduction in performance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A friend of mine has been a fuel delivery driver for 40 years. Over his career he has driven for, or delivered to, just about all of the large brand name fuel companies in Ontario. From what I've heard from him it's not the fuel, it's the station.

The fuel is basically the same, with minor differences in the additives. As a matter of fact many of the "No Name" stations buy their fuel from one of the major refineries and quite often it's on the same truck that just did a delivery to the brand name station around the corner. What does cause problems is if the holding tanks at the station are old or damaged. This allows water, or other impurities to mix with the fuel and that's where you could have issues. Please note that some of the big guys have had problems with holding tanks at their older stations. And don't forget about "fuel mixes", i.e. diesel and gasoline into the same holding tank. Fuel mixes are more common than you would think, can happen at any station, and are not always reported or discovered.

I will buy fuel from just about anywhere and typically use the smaller independent stations. I have never had an issue with engine damage, or experienced a reduction in performance. By the way, I never buy Premium fuel because I feel it simply is not worth the extra cost for any vehicle I have ever owned.

If you're more comfortable buying from the large brand names and don't mind paying more, by all means continue to do so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine has been a fuel delivery driver for 40 years. Over his career he has driven for, or delivered to, just about all of the large brand name fuel companies in Ontario. From what I've heard from him it's not the fuel, it's the station.

The fuel is basically the same, with minor differences in the additives. As a matter of fact many of the "No Name" stations buy their fuel from one of the major refineries and quite often it's on the same truck that just did a delivery to the brand name station around the corner. What does cause problems is if the holding tanks at the station are old or damaged. This allows water, or other impurities to mix with the fuel and that's where you could have issues. Please note that some of the big guys have had problems with holding tanks at their older stations. And don't forget about "fuel mixes", i.e. diesel and gasoline into the same holding tank. Fuel mixes are more common than you would think, can happen at any station, and are not always reported or discovered.

I will buy fuel from just about anywhere and typically use the smaller independent stations. I have never had an issue with engine damage, or experienced a reduction in performance. By the way, I never buy Premium fuel because I feel it simply is not worth the extra cost for any vehicle I have ever owned.

If you're more comfortable buying from the large brand names and don't mind paying more, by all means continue to do so.
Yikes, it's the last station still downtown, been there as long as I can remember so that's at least half a century. The tank prob looks like the inside of an old water heater.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts