Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning , New to the forum and we have lots of questions. We bought a used 2016 and the center arm rest is weak and failing. Is there an update or a retro fit to make this more unsaleable and sturdy I am used to my silverado trk with a beefy arm rest and I feel like I am crushing the Mazda arm rest when I place my arm there. Even my small framed wife noticed it as fragile. What available to beef it up and make it more useful/

Thx Toby in PA

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a used 2016 CX-3 AWD GT last March and it didn't come with a centre arm rest. I was so used to having one in my Tribute that I checked online to see what choices were out there. It seemed to me that all of the aftermarket ones looked very similar to the Mazda one so I bought one from my dealer, which is much easier and less expensive in most cases than trying to order anything online to Canada with import duties / shipping charges / exchange fees.

I installed it myself and agree that they are not nearly as sturdy as I would like. They do have a steel frame located inside that bolts to the floor in order to strengthen it, but to me it's still not designed to be used to rest more than the weight of your arm. My solution is to leave a travel mug in the cup holder that is just the right height that the arm rest sits on it and gets additional support. I'm guessing this is the reason Mazda changed the interior design on later models to have an integrated centre arm rest that is far more sturdy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought a used 2016 CX-3 AWD GT last March and it didn't come with a centre arm rest. I was so used to having one in my Tribute that I checked online to see what choices were out there. It seemed to me that all of the aftermarket ones looked very similar to the Mazda one so I bought one from my dealer, which is much easier and less expensive in most cases than trying to order anything online to Canada with import duties / shipping charges / exchange fees.

I installed it myself and agree that they are not nearly as sturdy as I would like. They do have a steel frame located inside that bolts to the floor in order to strengthen it, but to me it's still not designed to be used to rest more than the weight of your arm. My solution is to leave a travel mug in the cup holder that is just the right height that the arm rest sits on it and gets additional support. I'm guessing this is the reason Mazda changed the interior design on later models to have an integrated centre arm rest that is far more sturdy.
Exactly what I did (i.e. place a travel mug - in my case it was a stainless steel one - in the forward cup holder) and it worked beautifully during the two-plus years I owned my CX-3. The perfect height needed and it provided excellent support for the front of the OEM armrest. I was always able to put full weight on it and it felt very solid. Funny since I was getting ready to order the European Mazda armrest (part # DB2WV0630 - which also fits the Mazda2) but I liked this impromptu "mod" so much I decided to keep it. Of course, when I traded my CX-3 in last year (for a CX-5), I did remove the travel mug supporter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are retrofit options, give the site a search. But from what has been shared here, the first 'generation' of armrests in the CX3 weren't that great.
I also have a 2016, but I got an armrest that extends and opens up (two inner layers) from ebay. No issues, but you lose 1 cupholder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts