Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet but it looks like Mazda is shipping new Atenzas in China with Apple CarPlay enabled. So hopefully a firmware update is in the works.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
I mean its still something but this is taking quite a bit of time.. I understand the whole we want to ensure quality speech but I feel like we are going to see only newer cars have aa and cp with the promise to "eventually" patch older vehicles which will end up being us.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
CarPlay but no Android Auto? WTF?!
"If you only knew the power of the Dark Side of the mobile world!"

I mean its still something but this is taking quite a bit of time.. I understand the whole we want to ensure quality speech but I feel like we are going to see only newer cars have aa and cp with the promise to "eventually" patch older vehicles which will end up being us.
Were there promises made that AA and CP would be retroactively added to existing cars? If not, I'm not going to hold my breath.
That said, assuming the hardware is compatible I could see some enterprising hacker coming up with a solution for us.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't think they've promised for older models, and I can't speak for Apple, but in the case of Android Auto no special hardware is necessary. All Mazda has to do is let us download the software and install through a USB stick. This is what Hyundai is doing for their old 2015 models.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
They do claim to be working on both Apple and Android.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was excited when Hyundai released CP/AA for select 2015/16 models and the ease of which they were able to self install the update. I Hope Mazda does the same. Please, Mazda!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a feeling Mazda's reluctance to release CP/AA has more to do with money than technical reason. Other car manufacturers only include CP/AA on their top tier models that come with large screen and navigation software already, so if you wanted CP/AA then you HAVE to buy the top tier model. Mazda vehicles on the other hand all come with screens and the same software, and you can simply purchase the navigation SD card and plug it into even the base models. If they were to add CP/AA to their infotainment software, no one would be interested in purchasing Mazda's navigation then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a bunch of mentions of CarPlay in the v55 software update package:

rootfs1upd/jci/gui/apps/system/js/systemApp.js: { appData : { appName : 'carplay', isVisible : false, mmuiEvent : 'SelectCarPlay' }, text1Id : 'CarPlay', disabled : true, itemStyle : 'style01', hasCaret : false },

Some references in these compiled libraries:

Binary file rootfs1upd/rootfs/jci/lib/libjcicommonevents.so matches
Binary file rootfs1upd/rootfs/jci/mmui/uia/libjciuiacommon.so matches
Binary file rootfs1upd/rootfs/jci/mmui/uia/libjciuiasystem.so matches

and a directory of CarPlay resources:

rootfs1upd/rootfs/jci/gui/resources/js/carplay

·
Registered
485 Posts
This thought just came to me as I was questioning the data speeds of the usb ports of the mazda. Does AA or CP require a faster usb data connection like 3.0? Im assuming ours are 2.0 at best but I remember there being an issue in some headunits where the data speed was so bad that usb usage was cause to avoid using it entirely. Not that it cant be done with a lesser quality port/wiring but this might be one of the obstacles in implementing this tech. Bluetooth is quite a while from being able to transfer 10mb+ per second and even further away from that receiver being implemented in cars hence the need for cables.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Keep in mind that when you are using Navigation on your iPhone or Android, you have to pay for every bit of data that your phone downloads on your wireless bill. Whereas with GPS satellite it is all free (for now). But somehow I get the feeling they will figure out a way to charge for the use of GPS information as well sooner or later - probably on a subscription basis like Sirius.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nah, GPS data is free because it doesn't cost them anything, it's owned by the government. They can only charge you for the maps and hardware since they're making it. COuld they charge a subscription for using their map software instead of an up front fee and subsequent charges for upgrades? Sure I could see that.
Navigation software on a phone uses very little data, and nowadays most people have either a large pool of data or even unlimited data. Also you can download the maps onto your phone on a wifi and use it offline without using your mobile data.

·
Registered
872 Posts
GPS service is not free. US citizens fund the service with tax dollars. We can't pay for something then be re billed for using it. Additionally, there is no way of linking it to an account to bill if they wanted to as the system has not been designed that way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I emailed Mazda Tech support about Carplay support via Update back in May. This was the response:

Stephen,

Thank you for contacting Mazda Hands Free Support.

Mazda has not announced its plans for Apple CarPlay. If you have other questions or need additional information, please check www.mazdahandsfree.com<http://www.mazdahandsfree.com> or contact the Mazda Hands Free Support Line at 1-800-430-0153, Monday-Friday 7am-8pm CT.

So - they are not saying yes, but not saying no either. "So you;re telling me theres a chance?" LOL

A coworker has a new Tuscon and Ive used Carplay and Android Auto (that he got via self update btw) and both work great, and are IMHO a better experience than the stock Mazda Infotainment system.

Hoping we get it at some point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts