Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a cargo box on their cx3? If so what size? Seems like most are 7ft or longer, I’m wondering if that’s too long for the car where it’d be hanging over the windscreen or blocking the trunk from opening properly, I want to fit my skis which are 170cm so it has to be at least 6ft long. seems they only come much smaller or much bigger. Let me know

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any box long enough to fit your 170cm skis will block the opening of the rear hatch. It will also be slightly visible above the front windshield. I had Thule Adventurer which was 79" / 200cm long on my Tribute. Even on that larger vehicle the rear window would make contact with the box when I opened the hatch and that caused scratches on the window glass.

I have a ski rack mounted to my CX-3 OEM roof rack. My skis are 171cm and extend back far enough that I can't open the rear hatch with the skis in the rack. I mount my skis in the rack backwards and right side up so the tips are pointed up at the back of the car and they still make contact with the hatch when it's opened all the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, any idea what the longest box you could install without interference of the back hatch?

Any box long enough to fit your 170cm skis will block the opening of the rear hatch. It will also be slightly visible above the front windshield. I had Thule Adventurer which was 79" / 200cm long on my Tribute. Even on that larger vehicle the rear window would make contact with the box when I opened the hatch and that caused scratches on the window glass.

I have a ski rack mounted to my CX-3 OEM roof rack. My skis are 171cm and extend back far enough that I can't open the rear hatch with the skis in the rack. I mount my skis in the rack backwards and right side up so the tips are pointed up at the back of the car and they still make contact with the hatch when it's opened all the way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the tip, any idea what the longest box you could install without interference of the back hatch?
I would say a box short enough to clear the open rear hatch would be too short to allow your skis to fit inside. As I noted when my skis are in the ski rack attachment on the crossbars they touch the hatch when it's open. The ski rack attachment even provides more clearance because it sits higher off the roof than most roof boxes. You usually see a roof box mounted much lower / closer to the roof and this would result in less clearance with the open hatch.

The only way to be sure what will fit and how long a box you can mount would be to check with a dealer that sells these boxes. Not sure where you live, but Rack Attack has stores all over Canada and should be able to give you advise on what will fit. Brace for it, they are quite pricy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just installed the OEM roof box from Thule and the longest skis I can fit is 155 cm
I just checked online and that OEM Thule box is only 163cm in overall length, so @Megazeec is SOL to get his 170cm skis inside that one.
Just curious, does this OEM box allow the rear hatch to be opened fully?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes it does. Roof rails, cross bars, and OEM box were about $800 with self install.
That price sounds a lot better in USD. The cargo box alone up here is CA$697, cross bars are CA$205 and the rails are CA$325. That's CA$1,227, before our 13% tax.

·
Registered
15 Posts
TIRE PRESSURE GUSGE .5 May 2021'
There must be hundreds of tire fancy pressure guages available to the general public, some will only last a week, others will go on for decades , the more complicated they are the more likely they will start playing games with the truth.
Over the years I have had many types of guages, my latest has an extension hose and a fancy pressure release valve, there is only problem with the thing it get the pressure wrong, wrong is only 2 psi over, however 2 psi makes alot of difference . to comfort and tire longevaty.
Aparantly you are suposed to check tire pressure when the tire is cold , say early mornings.
i check tire pressure hot and cold to see the variation.
ever hreard of a lazy tire every car has got one as they are not part of the team.
i was in the hardware store recently and saw a battery operated pressure gage that was no for me , may be i should stick with my pencil type, that has been available for at least 60 years ,the draw back for those is that I have to use a small magnifying class to see the 2 psi markings . Got a lazy right eye.
One thing for sure my pencil type pressure guage it works every time. it is like an old pair of shoes you can not go wrong with them .
The down side by not running with the correct tire pressure is , firstly safety, and secondly the tire will star to crack up you also get that from driving into pot holes at night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts