Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The year 2020 has given me one last punch. This morning, I turned on the car just fine. A minute later, my toddler said he wanted to go to the restroom, so I pulled back into our place an turned it off. 10 minutes later, the car won't start.
  • The car has 30,000 miles.
  • The battery has charge. I tried jump starting it (just in case), but it did not make a difference.
  • I tried it with the key touching the start/stop button (in case the fob battery was dead). The start button light does turn on green when the fob touches the button, so that means that it is not related to the security system.
  • The started does crank. It gives one or two cranks and then stops and clicks (the car has always had a weak crank IMO).
  • I have worked on the car or messed with any electronics.
  • I can't find any blown fuses.
  • I swapped the STOP fuse and the STARTER fuse with other good ones, but it made no difference.
  • No check engine light.
I don't know what else to do or try before paying to have towed to a shop.

Possible diagnosis:
  • Bad crankshaft position sensor (CKP) or camshaft position sensor (CPS) can prevent the engine from starting. Also, a bad throttle position sensor (TPS) may cut off the spark to the cylinders.
  • Starter motor
  • Bad fuel pump
I feel that of the above, the a bad starter motor would NOT trigger a engine code, so I think that is the most likely culprit.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was gonna say is there gas? I feel like the c/shaft sensors would prevent it from even attempting to crank when not allowing it to start since cranking would still cause damage presumably. Any chance you can toss up a video of it really quick?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The cars started! but I am not out of the woods yet. (FYI I did record video of the car clicking and of the car starting)
  • I tried jump starting the car using my new X-mas gift (SL1338 400 Peak Amp Lithium Ion Jump Starter/ Power Pack). And it said that it was fully charged.
  • For the sake of it, I tried jump starting it using my other car instead of the new jump starter battery. The car turned on!
  • Right after it turned on, my boss called my cell phone so I had to run back to my computer inside the house.
  • The car doesn't turn on anymore, it does do one or two weak cranks.
I have a feeling that it will turn on if I jump start it again, but that leaves me two conclusions:
  1. I need a new battery. This sucks because I should be needing one after only 30,000 miles (4 years) - specially living in south California weather.
  2. My new jump starter sucks!
It does intrigue me that the car turned on fine in the morning, but it didn't start after a few minutes. In a few hours I am going to take the battery off the car and into an Autozone to get it tested, and also to buy a new one (if indeed has bad cells).

·
Registered
550 Posts
oh jeeze, I thought by jumping you meant you used another car etc lol I never trust those jumpers since too much room for error. If it makes a difference walmart surprisingly has a decent quality battery and also fun fact, almost all batteries are made by roughly 2~ manufacturers.

Side note: this guy probably does the best sort of unbiased unsponsored real reviews/comparisons

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice video. Thanks for sharing. I was on the fence on buying a Walmart video, so after watching your video I decided to buy a Walmart battery. However, Walmart doesn't sell anymore size 35 batteries. I went to Home Depot and bought an Exide brand for $99 bucks. The car now starts like a sharm!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think it might've just been sold out since its a really common battery type. Would make absolutely zero sense for them to discontinue it especially considering other sizes will just sit there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts