Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall,

I have an Old Town Sportsman Autopilot 120 and I was wondering if it'd be safe to car top it? I plan to be driving anywhere between 30 minutes and 5 hours to my destinations. I'm mostly concerned about safety, particularly with regards to strong winds.

Kayak Specs:
120lbs
12'

2019 Mazda CX-3 Sport

Let me know if you have had any experience car topping a big fishing kayak for long trips!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Yall,

I have an Old Town Sportsman Autopilot 120 and I was wondering if it'd be safe to car top it? I plan to be driving anywhere between 30 minutes and 5 hours to my destinations. I'm mostly concerned about safety, particularly with regards to strong winds.

Kayak Specs:
120lbs
12'

2019 Mazda CX-3 Sport

Let me know if you have had any experience car topping a big fishing kayak for long trips!
I hope you have, or are going to get, a proper roof rack to carry your kayak. A roof rack not only eliminates paint damage or dents in the roof, but also gives you better tie-down points to keep the kayak on the roof until you get to your destination.

There are numerous aftermarket and OEM options out there that will do the job and they range from $100 to well over $600. If you are intending to use your kayak on a regular basis a roof rack would be a good investment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts