Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am just writing this post to see if anyone has any info on something that happened to my 2016 Mazda CX-3 in December. I was travelling home for the holidays, and 4.5hrs into my 5hr highway drive, my vehicle completely shut down. I was driving with cruise control on at 120km/hr, and all of a sudden the car started to downshift, slowing itself down to a complete stop. My initial thought was that I bumped off the cruise control, as there were no weird sounds or high revving--just jerky downshifts. When I tried shifting into neutral, it slowed the vehicle down even more than having it in drive. In this 10-15s it took for the car to stop, brakes were hard, and the engine light (red), battery light, and power steering light all came on. It also would not shift out of park once stopped. I had around a 130km range, and am pretty confident the vehicle would not have been out of fuel.

I turned the car off and then on again, and it seemed to want to start, but something would not "connect" for it to turn over (would only hit around 500 RPM). Additionally, if I wanted to stop the vehicle from trying to start, I would have to press the start button again--it would not quit trying to start after I let go of the start button. I ended up having to tow it to my nearby hometown and left it at my family's business for a couple days. Tried starting it after about 2 days and it still would not start. My dad figured he'd mess around with it for a bit, and threw around 10L of fuel into the tank. It ended up starting with no hesitation--and there have been no issues since.

It has been hooked up twice to a code reader, and no error messages have been displayed.

I am wondering if anyone has had this happen to them or know what it could be. Some possible theories we have are: loose gas cap, fuel pump failure, fuel gauge malfunction, water/ice getting into gas tank, or some sort of electronic failure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

*Car had 59,000km on it, regular oil changes/maintenance, and new battery (Oct2020). Key fob battery was low and was replaced Jan2021.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly - I dont know the fuel tank capacity of the 2016 CX3, our 2019 is 48 litres. That said, my first suspicion is you've run low on fuel. Perhaps a fuel gauge issue. ? it is not accurate and have heard of this before and even the Mazda handbook states not to rely on the gauge or "range" prediction when it is low. Have also heard of there being some fuel in the tank but a divider in the tank preventing fuel from getting to the fuel pump pickup area. The symptoms you describe are similar to a fuel starvation issue. Either a lack of fuel, a blockage preventing fuel getting to the injectors or a fuel tank ventilation problem causing a vacuum preventing fuel.
If you do the sums, based on 8 litres per 100 km = 48 litres @ 8 litres per 100km = 600 km range on full tank. At 120 km/h Id' expect you'd be getting around 9 l/100 km/h and that would work out to 533km range or less. Only you know how much fuel you started with and what amount of fuel was likely to be left. The fact that it started again after your dad put in 10 litres would appear to confirm it was low on fuel, or opening the fuel cap allowed air into the tank and the fuel to flow again (you'd have heard air gush in if it was such a vacuum. Then there is the remote possibility that there is a gremlin in the system that will reappear another day when you least expect it. Given the electric pump needs fuel to lubricate and cool it I try to keep more than a quarter tank at all times. Will be interesting to hear what is eventually diagnosed as the fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I am just writing this post to see if anyone has any info on something that happened to my 2016 Mazda CX-3 in December. I was travelling home for the holidays, and 4.5hrs into my 5hr highway drive, my vehicle completely shut down. I was driving with cruise control on at 120km/hr, and all of a sudden the car started to downshift, slowing itself down to a complete stop. My initial thought was that I bumped off the cruise control, as there were no weird sounds or high revving--just jerky downshifts. When I tried shifting into neutral, it slowed the vehicle down even more than having it in drive. In this 10-15s it took for the car to stop, brakes were hard, and the engine light (red), battery light, and power steering light all came on. It also would not shift out of park once stopped. I had around a 130km range, and am pretty confident the vehicle would not have been out of fuel.

I turned the car off and then on again, and it seemed to want to start, but something would not "connect" for it to turn over (would only hit around 500 RPM). Additionally, if I wanted to stop the vehicle from trying to start, I would have to press the start button again--it would not quit trying to start after I let go of the start button. I ended up having to tow it to my nearby hometown and left it at my family's business for a couple days. Tried starting it after about 2 days and it still would not start. My dad figured he'd mess around with it for a bit, and threw around 10L of fuel into the tank. It ended up starting with no hesitation--and there have been no issues since.

It has been hooked up twice to a code reader, and no error messages have been displayed.

I am wondering if anyone has had this happen to them or know what it could be. Some possible theories we have are: loose gas cap, fuel pump failure, fuel gauge malfunction, water/ice getting into gas tank, or some sort of electronic failure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

*Car had 59,000km on it, regular oil changes/maintenance, and new battery (Oct2020). Key fob battery was low and was replaced Jan2021.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Hey I had the same issue and I took it back to Mazda, there is an issue with the fuel pump they replaced my fuel pump, the following week it happened again so they replaced the internal fuel pump so hopefully it's just that ..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great that it's being sorted out. Unfortunately MAZDA does have to follow a step by step process for warranty replacements. As long as they make the remarks on the reports then its all good. FYI, the newly replaced parts carry the new warranty (lifetime here in South Africa).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts