277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6. Trax. 143
5. HRV. 160
4. Fiat500 168
3. Jeep RG 179
2. Kia Soul 188
1. Mz. CX3. 201

Not surprising that it won considering they place a premium on the driving experience, but the victory margin is.

Sorry, wife is on the desktop or would scan a couple of tables in.
Maybe later.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"We don't have a Nissan Juke here because that early (and weird) subcompact -crossover experiment already lost a comparison test to the Mini Countryman. And we don't have a Countryman here because Mini was unable to provide a competitively priced example."

Car and Driver.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They compared the top trim HR-V against the mid-trim CX-3 and the base (I assume) Kia Soul. Odd.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wow, the Mazda took it by a good margin.

They compared the top trim HR-V against the mid-trim CX-3 and the base (I assume) Kia Soul. Odd.
They are usually stuck with what the manufacturer deals them, it seems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry I could not post the entire article. The Soul was a top of the range model with the optional engine that allowed it finish with a high placement.

They appeared to be optioning each to get all near the same price level, which makes sense to me. Don't most folks first determine how much they want to spend and then compare what they can get with that set amount of money?

Makes much more sense than comparing a fully optioned CX-3 for 30k against a fully optioned Soul for 24k.

A mid trim CX-3 and well trimmed HRV cost about the same so its fair comparison too.

Having said all that, The Soul should not have been included. It is not available with AWD as the others here all are. For the most part AWD is a handicap in this type of test as it increases cost , decreases acceleration and fuel economy. If they insist on including it ,all tested should have been FWD models.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
its all so subjective... ride them yourself and see what you think...
Granted, a lot of it is subjective and for that part nothing subs for one's own impressions gained with a test drive.

Even so when you see a lot these subjective opinions lining up in one test after another, it becomes increasingly clear where one car or the other has advantages.

For instance, while not everyone agrees whether the HRV or CX3 is quieter or rides better, I've yet to see any comparison that failed to judge the CX-3 a better handler, or to have more comfortable front seats and a more satisfying (if not efficient) transmission.

So these type of comparisons may not tell you which car to buy, but they might tell you which ones are worth a test drive.

Of these cars, I have only driven the HRV and I must say I share almost all the subjective opinions expressed by C&D with the exception of the front seats which I did not notice as a problem.(I'm 5'10")

"The HRV's mooing CVT emphasizes just how hard the 1.8 liter works even while making little speed. Roll into the throttle when already underway, and you have to toe in deeply before the transmission starts to unwind rpm, which come on in such a leisurely pace that it ought to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Around town, the CVT lugs the engine at 1000rpm, a speed that gently vibrates the entire car."

"Much of the packaging disappoints, too. The sweptback windshield seems aimed at the driver's forehead, forcing taller ones to adopt a similarly raked driving position. Combine that with a bottom cushion that angles forward and driving the Honda feels like doing the limbo. Despite its best-in-test rear seat volume , the HR-V's aggressive roof line cuts into headroom. Compared with the Honda Fit, which leads the industry for clown car capacity, the HRV is a blatant compromise."

"Its slower than a fit and its fuel economy isn't as good, but in exchange, you get less useful space. Might as well just get a Fit"

Sept. CAR & DRIVER

Ouch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.