Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new car to tow a small caravan we are purchasing and the 2.0 Petrol CX-3 has caught my eye (just sold my Mazda Bongo and have owned a CX-7 previously as well as a 1991 Eunos Roadster - like Mazdas! :D)

I have seen a GT Sport nearby that has the extra silver trim pieces on front valance, side skirts and, importantly on rear valance, between the exhaust pipes.

I have seen that the official Mazda towbar states will not fit GT Sport but wondered if any owners had managed to get an aftermarket one fitted?

Needs to be GT Sport specifically - I know the Sport Nav, etc will take a towbar.

Cheers,
Steven

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good afternoon 71. Not knowing your year I checked the Curt site and they have one that fits the CX-3 GT. hTTps:// wWw.curtmfg. com/ trailer-parts
I installed one on my GX no problem and the Curt wiring with a Fuse Tap from the inside fuse panel. See my other post for the location. Mazda's owners manual states not to tow anything but I have not had any problem with my 4' x 8' trailer. I have modified the left side attachment. The right side bolts into the tow hook and bumper bolts but the left is only attached to 2 bolts for the bumper support which are only welded on.. There is a hole on the hitch between the the two bolt holes. I drilled an extra hole into the plate with the two bolts and installed large galvanized washers and bolt. There is no danger that it will break off. There are Youtube videos on how to install the Curt hitch. You do not have to detach the the rubber muffler supports. Good luck and any Q's just ask.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forgot to mention one point. Because Mazda does not endorse towing Page 3-46 owners manual 'Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda. ' whenever I approach a steep grade I switch over to manual and keep the rev's down. Puts less strain on the auto transmission.

·
Registered
2017 CX-3 Grand Touring
7 Posts
Good afternoon 71. Not knowing your year I checked the Curt site and they have one that fits the CX-3 GT. hTTps:// wWw.curtmfg. com/ trailer-parts
I installed one on my GX no problem and the Curt wiring with a Fuse Tap from the inside fuse panel. See my other post for the location. Mazda's owners manual states not to tow anything but I have not had any problem with my 4' x 8' trailer. I have modified the left side attachment. The right side bolts into the tow hook and bumper bolts but the left is only attached to 2 bolts for the bumper support which are only welded on.. There is a hole on the hitch between the the two bolt holes. I drilled an extra hole into the plate with the two bolts and installed large galvanized washers and bolt. There is no danger that it will break off. There are Youtube videos on how to install the Curt hitch. You do not have to detach the the rubber muffler supports. Good luck and any Q's just ask.
Could this hitch accommodate my bike rack that holds two bicycles and swings out from the bumper?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good morning from Canada,
The hitch which is compatible with the CX-3 is a Class I with a 1 1/4" receiver. Quote from their site 'Use of a support strap is required with 1-1/4" receiver tubes'.

·
Registered
2017 CX-3 Grand Touring
7 Posts
Good morning from Canada,
The hitch which is compatible with the CX-3 is a Class I with a 1 1/4" receiver. Quote from their site 'Use of a support strap is required with 1-1/4" receiver tubes'.
Thanks for that info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts