Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an option, I'm thinking of getting the CX-3 in Canada (already on sale) and just transferring it into the US. We live within a few hours of some Canadian dealerships.

So, what would prevent this? as long as you are OK with the speedometer being in Kph. You should be able to toggle back/forth between US and metric I'd assume.

A little research indicates the CX-3 meets US EPA and DOT standards. I can't find any legal/regulatory deal breaker. Perhaps the pricing might be at a disadvantage?

Thoughts? We don't not want to wait until September as we need a second car and are already sold this is the one for us :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an option, I'm thinking of getting the CX-3 in Canada (already on sale) and just transferring it into the US. We live within a few hours of some Canadian dealerships.

So, what would prevent this? as long as you are OK with the speedometer being in Kph. You should be able to toggle back/forth between US and metric I'd assume.

A little research indicates the CX-3 meets US EPA and DOT standards. I can't find any legal/regulatory deal breaker. Perhaps the pricing might be at a disadvantage?

Thoughts? We don't not want to wait until September as we need a second car and are already sold this is the one for us :)
With the import fees and taxes you will have to pay to get the vehicle into the U.S..may end up costing you more than you are willing to spend..also then you will have to pay to get the vehicle register in your state.

Also, in the long run parts maybe a bit different from the U.S version.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can try, but I know some dealers close to the US/CAN border have been instructed in other cases not to sell a vehicle to residents of the opposing country. Not to mention you'll get dinged on import fees as the CX-3 is manufactured in Japan and not privy to free trade agreements...You may need to do a bit more research, sorry I could be of more help...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think this would end up being more expensive in the end for you. The vehicle is priced higher in Canada (though your American dollars will go further there right now). My main concern is that you'll have to pay Canadian taxes, and then you'll also have to pay American import fees and taxes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
With the import fees and taxes you will have to pay to get the vehicle into the U.S..may end up costing you more than you are willing to spend..also then you will have to pay to get the vehicle register in your state.

Also, in the long run parts maybe a bit different from the U.S version.
That's what a buddy of mine discovered after going through the whole process, it's just easier to get it locally. Completely different story if it's some uncommon car though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are MANY issues with this process, DO NOT go through with it until you speak with a firm that specializes in this sort of US-Canada importation. It's a mess.

The BIG issue is that Mazda USA will not honor your warranty, and Mazda Canada will invalidate your warranty, leaving you without a warranty on a brand new car. HUGE RISK, don't do it!

Find another way to fulfill your automotive needs until it's available in the US.

Here's an idea -- when the first US ones are available, consider getting one out of state (if another state receives them first) and making a fun road trip out of it, to get the car sooner. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ultimately just more expensive

Thanks for the feedback. After a few more days of research the end result is that it will simply cost more for the vehicle, and there will be a lot of bureaucracy to wade through. However, there are no big deal breakers as it turns out. (I'd did not investigate the Mazda warantee issue however...)

With the currency exchange rate in our favor, the higher pricing in Canada is pretty much a wash. However Canada has much higher freight & delivery charges than what we see in the US. They call it PDI & freight, and it is about triple what we see here for the "delivery charges" that they stick us with.

We would not have to pay any Canadian taxes however there is an import fee of 2.5% for entry into the US. Additionally, the simplest way to bring a vehicle into the US is by using a broker agency that handles all the paperwork -- more fees.

So, my cursory research shows we'd pay a premium of about $2k to get the Canadian CX3 after all is said and done. Plus, there are minor differences to the Canadian version such as instrumentation in metric vs. imperial, the badging is different (GX/GS/GT vs. S/T/GT) and the VIN would indicate it was a Canadian version.

Otherwise, no EPA, DOT or parts differences from what I was told by the dealer and by Mazda corporate.

One "advanatage" is that the Canadian version is built in Japan while the US version we are waiting on will be made in Mexico. There is always some risk with early production vehicles made at a brand new factory vs. the Japanese factory that has been pumping them our for about six months.

We will wait until September :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. After a few more days of research the end result is that it will simply cost more for the vehicle, and there will be a lot of bureaucracy to wade through. However, there are no big deal breakers as it turns out. (I'd did not investigate the Mazda warantee issue however...)

With the currency exchange rate in our favor, the higher pricing in Canada is pretty much a wash. However Canada has much higher freight & delivery charges than what we see in the US. They call it PDI & freight, and it is about triple what we see here for the "delivery charges" that they stick us with.

We would not have to pay any Canadian taxes however there is an import fee of 2.5% for entry into the US. Additionally, the simplest way to bring a vehicle into the US is by using a broker agency that handles all the paperwork -- more fees.

So, my cursory research shows we'd pay a premium of about $2k to get the Canadian CX3 after all is said and done. Plus, there are minor differences to the Canadian version such as instrumentation in metric vs. imperial, the badging is different (GX/GS/GT vs. S/T/GT) and the VIN would indicate it was a Canadian version.

Otherwise, no EPA, DOT or parts differences from what I was told by the dealer and by Mazda corporate.

One "advanatage" is that the Canadian version is built in Japan while the US version we are waiting on will be made in Mexico. There is always some risk with early production vehicles made at a brand new factory vs. the Japanese factory that has been pumping them our for about six months.

We will wait until September :)
Built in Mexico? I thought they were all to be built in Hiroshima. I can't find my source, so maybe you are right. Mind if I ask where you got your information? This is one more piece of bad news, that if correct, has me leaning ever stronger to buying a 3 instead.

It would make sense as the reason for the delay in availability in the U.S.:crying:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Best (not definitive) info I can find out is they are making the 3 the 2 and the new Scion (based on the 2) in Mexico.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
production location

OK, I had misinformation regarding production location. One dealer actually thought and told me the CX3 will be manufactured in Mexico. It's actually the 3. And, for ultimate confirmation, I asked a friend of the family who works for Mazda in Japan and they confirmed the CX3 will be made at their Hiroshima plant and no plans to move production to Mexico.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the serial number starts with JM it is built in Japan.
Note also the equipment is different in Canada that the USA.
Canadian CX-3s do not have the adaptive cruise control even with SCBS in the tech package.
I see in some videos CX-3s with back up sensors on the rear bumper, not in Canada but maybe in the USA ??

·
Registered
872 Posts
I see in some videos CX-3s with back up sensors on the rear bumper, not in Canada but maybe in the USA ??
Those are port or dealer installed accessories. I don't believe they are a factory option.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've heard conflicting versions of this.
On the CX-5 rear parking sensors are a "Mazda Genuine Accessory" like a rear bumper guard. Those are not installed at the factory. I'd be surprised if the CX-3 was different.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Canadian CX-3s do not have the adaptive cruise control even with SCBS in the tech package.
... and it irks me to no end. Betcha it's available in next year's model, but for us early adopters tough noogies :( Dunno if it will be "retro-fittable" but I really would have liked to have that on my GT-TECH.

BTW, almost ate my steering wheel entering a parking lot with a lifting gate. SCBS confused the gate with an approaching car and slammed the brakes on me :eek:

Glad to see it works, but surprised the bejesus out of me.

- Ben

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have installed rear parking sensors on 2 cars with cheap under $20 kits on Ebay from China. They work fine. You have to find a source of 12V that turns on when car is in reverse like at the backup lights or at the fuse panel. You have to be a little brave to drill the holes making sure you are drilling where there is only plastic. Then find a way to get the wires into the car for the module and beeper. The videos of the CX-3 in other markets where you can see the sensors on the rear bumper could be useful to know where to drill.
The kits come with 4 sensors but you can use only 2 if difficult to find locations for 4.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would appear also that Canada does not get (Smart Brake Support) SBS only the low speed SCBS (as listed in the brochure). SBS works at highway speeds and includes the distance recognition display (DRSS) which is all part of adaptive cruise which is not included in Canada (but is in the owners manual). So I would assume the the USA gets the SBS and DRSS all part of adaptive cruise ??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why are these options missing from the Canadian cars? Won't people just go across the border for them if the American cars comes with the SBS and adaptive cruise control?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts