Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reviving an old thread but wifey experienced the same issue the day we drove off the lot.

After one week of driving, the odor is much less but still present. The source of odor is definitely at the FR wheel and smells like a burning clutch; most likely coming from the brake pads.

Jacked the car up and spun the wheel to make sure that there wasn't any binding. Dealer claims that it's normal and may take up to 1000 km for the smell to completely disappear.

The countdown begins....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the issue as well. I thought perhaps it was due to my "spirited" driving. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd guess that it's the brake pads bedding in on the rotors. Part of a normal break-in period. My wife's CX-5 had some odors from the engine bay. A little bit of oil had come from somewhere and got on the exhaust manifold and was burning off. We noticed it almost every time we drove it for the first month or so that we had it. It's gone away and hasn't returned and she's got 30,000 miles on the car now. On my CX-3, the only time I get that burnt smell is definitely from the brakes after my morning time trial run to work. ;)

Reactions: Brigitte

·
Registered
451 Posts
This burning odour is mentioned in just about every car forum in existence, not just Mazda forums. The reason given usually comes down to a preservative spray that is used before shipment that covers all components in the engine compartment. I should burn off within a week or two.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd guess that it's the brake pads bedding in on the rotors. Part of a normal break-in period.
Vipre, I would normally agree with you however, this odor wouldn't exist when routinely servicing the car with new replacement brake pads.

This burning odour is mentioned in just about every car forum in existence, not just Mazda forums. The reason given usually comes down to a preservative spray that is used before shipment that covers all components in the engine compartment. I should burn off within a week or two.
I've owned many cars (American, Japanese & German) over the years and any residual burn-off usually ceases after a day of driving. If whatever Mazda uses helps resist corrosion in the long run, I'm all for it. then again, this is our first Mazda...;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Vipre, I would normally agree with you however, this odor wouldn't exist when routinely servicing the car with new replacement brake pads.

I've owned many cars (American, Japanese & German) over the years and any residual burn-off usually ceases after a day of driving. If whatever Mazda uses helps resist corrosion in the long run, I'm all for it. then again, this is our first Mazda...;)
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the spray he's talking about is also applied to the brakes. Rotors tend to rust up pretty quickly when they aren't used regularly. If the preservative spray gets on the calipers, it might take longer to burn off than on the rotors themselves and could stick around a while longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new MAZDA CX 3 delivered to my house last Saturday Jan 30. Today was my first test drive due to snow.
When I drove my car backed to rhe garage after testing I smelled something burnt rubber or what...it smells burnt I can smell it inside the garage. I hope its normal for Mazda .We have GMC Denali Acadia but nothing like a burnt smell when we first bought 2019.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts