Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend just purchased a brand new CX-3 dynamic blue touring. But soon as driving off the dealership, we noticed a very bad burning smell coming from the engine, and we also saw smoke coming out from the hood on the first day. We had the vehicle examined back at the dealership and they are saying every new car has that kind of smell for the first few hundred miles, and told us not to worry about it.

I have driven the car for a week now(80 miles) and still noticed the burning smell, though not as strong as it used to be.

Does everyone else has this similar experiences?

Thanks for the responses:)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had the burning smell for a few months. Worst I've ever experienced on a new car. However, I have not seem others really mention it on here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had it. On my CX3.

When I stopped the car at home after 1st drive home it had smoke out of sides of hood.

Turns out the factory had been over enthisiastic with the engine spray they put on before it goes on the ship.

Dealer said it was a wax like covering that should burn off in minutes but mine was a lot thicker.

Was all gone in a day or so.

Some normal new car smells beyond that as it all settles in and any fluids burn off etc.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It really, really helps if you add some vehicle detail to your avatar or signature so we can see exactly what vehicle you have. For example, the diesels regenerate the exhaust soot by burning it off and mine smells of burning metal and rubber every time it does it as the exhaust is super heated internally with fuel every time.

New exhausts have a protective coating from new so gasoline engines also produce some burning smell until they burn it off especially down near the catalytic converter which also gets extremely hot. However, it should be disappearing by now so if it still does it by next week end, I suggest you just pop back and let them check it again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I picked mine up the dealer said there would be a burning smell for a while, he said up to a 1000 miles dependant on driving style, not sure when it disappeared but I can't smell anything now, mind you I am just shy of 5000miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife had the same issue when we picked up here Mini Countryman, the dealer said it was wax/sealant in the engine bay from when it was shipped, they took it back and cleaned the engine bay again, and it was fine after that. I must admit it was disconcerting having smoke coming out of the engine bay on a new car...!

I would take it back if it is still smoking, and get them to clean the wax off properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same thing happen with mine. They put this shining coat stuff on the engine to make it look 'better' apparently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone! Looks like it's not only me that have experienced this issue. I personally own a Jeep which never had this issue when purchased brand new. I have driven the CX-3 for a 100 miles today, and the smell seems to be less noticeable with every drive, but I admit it's still there. I'll give the car another week to see if the smell go disappear eventually.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My CX-3 never did this, but my wife's 2016 CX-5 did. Smelled like burning oil. Went away after the first week or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I definitely had this issue with my CX-3, though no smoke from the hood! The smell gradually diminished and is now gone, but it took about 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The CX-3 my wife bought did the same thing. Smell quite strong at first, I looked and found nothing strange. Anyway, it seems to me that it held on for about 1 1/2 weeks and a few hundred miles. Over 5600 miles on it now with no burning smell! Be patient young Padawan, this too will pass.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Strange burning smell in a new car is not new. If you Google "Burning smell in a new car" you will find lots of hits that span just about every car maker over several years. There must be an answer that covers them all, but damned if I know what it would be.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For the first 3-4 weeks a noticed a slight burning smell, if I was waiting at a stoplight for a few minutes. I think it was the auto transmission, but there wasn't any smoke and the smell disappeared as soon as the car was moving again.
It's gone now so I put it down to some oil or lubricant of some sort being burned by the hot transmission on the outside (or something like that).

·
Registered
893 Posts
The salesman told me it was just some oil/lubes burning off. It went away after a couple weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its was pretty bad in our CX3 (USA Gasoline) smelled to me like plastic burning dealer said it was the brake pads/Rotor sealer they use. (Felt like that was a crock) Anyway its gotten a lot better (after 1500 miles) and now only get it on occasion. (Wife drives the car mostly) I drove it today and reversed a bit down our driveway where I always got it before but it was not noticeable today...but now not so sure what it was. I like the engine coating idea burning off! better than the rotor sealant anyway>:) :)

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I believe it is the exhaust which is super heated on these cars to reduce emissions. On the diesels, the exhaust goes through a regeneration process to purge soot every couple of hundred miles and the smell is exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts