Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone figured out a way to boost the driver seat up in height? I feel like I sit way too low for this car, and I am 5.5FT tall.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't know where you're located but in the US we have a lever on the left that adjusts seat height. Do you that adjustment and if so, still to low?

The CX3 has a high belt line so its a bit deceiving. I am 6'3 and feel a bit low as the windows are short.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah I maxed that out already. Wish it could go up another 2 inches at least!
I'm not sure 2" would be safe, but both Prius and HR-V folks routinely raise the front of the driver's seat in order to give better thigh support and greater distance from the accelerator and brake pedals.

Typically they simply use longer bolts with as stack of washers or spacers ... At first glance it looks to me as though this would be relatively simple on the CX-3 to do all four bolts, say as much as 1" with an appropriately robust bushing ... but not a stack of washers.
Needless to say, what it would do for your insurance is anybody's guess :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would just buy one of the cushions made for raising up the driver.Its not a perfect solution but it could solve your problem.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm 5'10 and it's perfectly fine for me on even the lowest setting, but I give the seat 6 pumps to lift it a little. It may feel like the seat is low because compared to most other cars the CX-3 has an unusually high hood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am 4'11 and I am super comfortable in a car. I raised my seat all the way up and the height is perfect for me. I think in a winter I will lower it a bit when I wear and sit on a thick coat.

Since I am so short, the driver’s seat height has always been one of the very important factors when choosing a car. I got CX-3 because of the comfortable sitting height.

I am quite surprised to read that someone who is 5'5" feels that the seat is too low.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Some people have carry their height in their legs, some in their torso, which leads to different perspectives of comfort and abilities to see.

I'd never alter a cars seat anchors with things like spacers. The thoughts of what may happen in an accident is scary.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Some people have carry their height in their legs, some in their torso, which leads to different perspectives of comfort and abilities to see.

I'd never alter a cars seat anchors with things like spacers. The thoughts of what may happen in an accident is scary.
(1) Yes, different people have different ratios ... here we're talking about the distance from the bottom of your bottom to your eyeballs :)

I'm right at 6 feet, with a 34" inseam, and I always feel like I'm sitting too low ... yet the legroom to the accelerator pedal is insufficient. Consequently, I typically want to move the driver's seat back and up from it's OEM maxima.

(2) As for messing with the OEM seat anchors, I agree, scary.

OTOH, take a look at the spindly stilts of the Prius V's OEM rear mounts ... about 2:00 minutes in on this youtube.

I'd be just as happy with a 1" high, say 1" dia. solid bushing (even in aluminum), with an appropriately sized hole, and a longer high tensile bolt.

Finally however, having just had my "Precious Prius" totaled by a 20 year-old making a left turn into me, I wouldn't want to test it :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
ADDENDUM: Today I took a long look at the driver's seat mounts. It appears to me that adding up to 1" spacers between the seat mount and the floor would be straightforward. Everything's flat/straight/parallel. I can see a little project on the horizon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not So Fast There, Podner!

In the process of reversing my center armrest, I noticed the front seats are not attached with simple 10mm hex bolts. A Mazda 6 forum, indicated their seat bolts have E12 Torx boltheads, requiring an external Torx socket wrench. I reckon ours are the same.

I'll pick-up a socket tomorrow and give it a go ... stopping by my local Lowes to determine the thread and pitch ... and see if I can locate some appropriate longer, high tensile samples.

I could use another 1" seat height.

P.S. LOVE the car so far! Many little details indicative of Mazda quality and thoughtfulness ... e.g., the screen in front of the radiator, keeping the bugs and kangaroos out of the radiator fins.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be messing with the seat mounts. They are that height for a reason.
You are of course, "correct," in every sense of the word ... but is is my circus and they are my monkeys.
;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes, it's an E12 external Torx socket wrench ... 'just picked-up a 7 piece set for $9 at the local Harbor Freight.

Kudos to the Mazda 6 Forum!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts