1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
54 Posts
From the pictures and description - Composition : 2Pcs (1Set) - I wouldn't count on instructions, especially in English.

But, I like the simplicity of the manual strut on Mazdas. My other car, a 2003 Kia Sorento that I bought new, the gas struts stopped working after a couple years. It was over a hundred dollars to replace them, even buying them from a parts store & installing myself, so for as much time I spend under the hood I just prop the hood up with a 1"x2" piece of wood.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anyone bought these Bonnet/Hood struts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonnet-Hood-Gas-Strut-Lift-Damper-Kit-2Pcs-for-MAZDA-CX-3-1-5L-2-0L/252902356232?

I have tried to ask the seller if there are instructions available in English, but my answers have been "we don't install them".

I even tried Google translate, with no luck.

At the price, I'd give them a shot if they came with instructions.

There are some generic instructions - pictures - on the bottom of this Estonian web site selling Russian made gas struts

Pneumatic

The fitments would probably be similar to those for the struts on the ebay site you've mentioned

I've also found this ebay link for struts manufactured by a Taiwanese company called Sokie Tech

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Strut-Lift-Bonnet-Hood-Shock-Stainless-Damper-Set-for-2015-2017-Mazda-CX-3/222630725357

They sell them in 4 colours - black, white, black carbon and silver carbon :) They are supplied with an installation manual (?) but unfortunately don't give a link to allow this to be checked prior to purchase :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can say that I have

There are some generic instructions - pictures - on the bottom of this Estonian web site selling Russian made gas struts

Pneumatic

The fitments would probably be similar to those for the struts on the ebay site you've mentioned

I've also found this ebay link for struts manufactured by a Taiwanese company called Sokie Tech

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Strut-Lift-Bonnet-Hood-Shock-Stainless-Damper-Set-for-2015-2017-Mazda-CX-3/222630725357

They sell them in 4 colours - black, white, black carbon and silver carbon :) They are supplied with an installation manual (?) but unfortunately don't give a link to allow this to be checked prior to purchase :(
Fitted these exact bonnet struts to me CX3 from Sokie Tech, they did come with Instructions in the form of written and also pictures, I am sorry but I have thrown them away, but they are very easy to fit.
Hope this is of some help for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fitted these exact bonnet struts to me CX3 from Sokie Tech, they did come with Instructions in the form of written and also pictures, I am sorry but I have thrown them away, but they are very easy to fit.
Hope this is of some help for you.
Did you have to drill any holes for installation?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sorry for late replies, no did not have to drill any holes, all bolted up using existing mounting points.

Darren

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased the Skokie struts. They seem to fit easily enough but when I open the hood, the bracket attached to the hood pulls away from the hood. The bracket is a few inches long and bolts to the hood at the far end from where the strut attaches. At that point it attaches by double sided tape. Also seems to take more effort than I'd expect to open the hood and the hood closes very easily. Do I have something backwards here? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken,

I installed the Sokie Tech strut kit and also found the hood brackets flexed a lot. I also found the initial force to get the hood to open or close was so much that I thought I was going to bend something. Even when gently starting the movement.

After reading and googling info on hood struts for days, I ended up ordering some struts from Amazon and ball ends from another site. I kept the Sokie brackets on the car. I'm not so concerned I will break something when I open and close the hood.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can never understand the aversion to prop rods. They weigh less, are dead simple so they do not go bad, and they are cheap to produce and replace. Further they do the job. Yes, they can get in the way, but how often are you under the hood to need hood struts to hold it out of the way. If you need that much room to work, then you are probably doing extensive enough work that you should just take the hood off so you can get to the engine un-hindered. It is what I do.... Of course, I do not ever foresee me having to do that kind of work to the CX-3.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It doesn't make the car seem cheap to me because it has a prop rod. It makes me realize that the manufacturer spent the money better somewhere else and passed the savings, if any, on to the consumer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry for the rant. I am a middle school principal. I was having a bad day...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry for the rant. I am a middle school principal. I was having a bad day...
"No more push-ups ... go raise and lower my CX-3 hood thirty times, kid"!

My Junior High Principal never drove anything near a CX-3 ... 'course back then in the South we were all dirt poor.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My principal (actually where I went to school he was called 'Head Master) was an idiot! He had the bad habit of smoking cigars while driving and when he was done with a stogie he would flick it over his shoulder and into the back seat. In fact he once had his car burn up (with him outside watching, luckily). Come to think of it, he had a few bad days too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My principal (actually where I went to school he was called 'Head Master) was an idiot! He had the bad habit of smoking cigars while driving and when he was done with a stogie he would flick it over his shoulder and into the back seat. In fact he once had his car burn up (with him outside watching, luckily). Come to think of it, he had a few bad days too.
It seems back then the teachers were nuts ... now it's the students that "have issues".
No comment on the professors ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts