Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad is the blind spot view? The blind spot monitoring is really the only reason i'd get the touring trim and I dont know if its worth the extra two grand. When i went for a test drive, there were banners/stickers on the windows so i couldnt really judge it. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
In my opinion, the blind spots are no worse than any other vehicle. My car doesn't have the monitoring but I rented a CX5 last time I was in the USA and I must admit I found it very good. I doubt I would cough up for a higher model if that was the ONLY extra feature.

Reactions: Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
How bad is the blind spot view? The blind spot monitoring is really the only reason i'd get the touring trim and I dont know if its worth the extra two grand. When i went for a test drive, there were banners/stickers on the windows so i couldnt really judge it. Thanks in advance.
SAME here..and neither salesman removed them...said they could roll down the window if I need to look out. Pretty lame...somewhat suspicious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blind spot works great my wife and love our red soul gt,,,PS I don't think you can remove blind spot,if its touring its there
Cuzlarry,
What do you think of the view switching lanes without using the monitoring? Poor visibility or ok?

·
Registered
304 Posts
The blind spot on the right is large but not terrible. The left blind spot is problematic. I've had to crane my neck a good bit at times.
Blind spot monitoring has been helpful for me in many instances.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depending on seating position, I find that the left blind spot is pretty bad. The head's proximity to the door frame pillar causes the pillar to block the view of the blindspot. You'll need to tilt your head forward or back.

I've had about 500 miles on the CX3 so far with blindspot monitor, and I don't really like it. It tends to generate a lot of false positive warnings on a busy highway. For example, given a scenario where it's a 3 lane freeway and I make a perfectly safe lane change from the left to the center lane, a car in the right lane will trigger warning beeps as I settle into the center lane. Basically, it seems anytime the blinker is on and a car enters the blindspot monitor area (which seems to extend a bit too far), a warning will be triggered. This happens quite often on busy, bumper to bumper freeways in my area and can be unsettling/annoying.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I only pay attention to it when I activate the turn signal which is pretty much the only time it sounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alot if great info thanks guys. Im just going to have to go for an extented test drive to really judge based on my seating position. Looks like it's plus 1 here for the impreza- great visibility. But damn, such a mom car lol.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Alot if great info thanks guys. Im just going to have to go for an extented test drive to really judge based on my seating position. Looks like it's plus 1 here for the impreza- great visibility. But damn, such a mom car lol.
Subaru makes great cars. As far as advanced safety tech goes their Eyesight anti-forward collision system, has gotten raves from various safety rating bodies as well as Consumer Reports. Aside from that, the implementation of things like lane watch, blind spot monitoring, and cross-traffic alert has been either non-existent on most models or allocated in a very confusing manner, e.g., for a given vehicle some lower trims have some tech while other higher trims have something else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Subaru makes great cars. As far as advanced safety tech goes their Eyesight anti-forward collision system, has gotten raves from various safety rating bodies as well as Consumer Reports. Aside from that, the implementation of things like lane watch, blind spot monitoring, and cross-traffic alert has been either non-existent on most models or allocated in a very confusing manner, e.g., for a given vehicle some lower trims have some tech while other higher trims have something else.
Its really come down to the impreza and the cx3 for me. Major pros of the impreza: cargo size, visibility, slightly better reliability than mazda. However, the performance just doesnt compare to the cx3. Same with the overall appearence. I'm very torn. I'm looking for any additional excuses to choose the cx3 haha.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its really come down to the impreza and the cx3 for me. Major pros of the impreza: cargo size, visibility, slightly better reliability than mazda. However, the performance just doesnt compare to the cx3. Same with the overall appearence. I'm very torn. I'm looking for any additional excuses to choose the cx3 haha.
Tough, tough call. I like the CX-3 being higher off the ground. Might help with snowdrifts in concert with the AWD. Subarus have CVTs, but I prefer the actual 6-speed or whatever is in the Mazda. Subaru does appear to have a slight edge in reliability -- I know that's been a thorn for Mazda and they are working on it.
Consumer Reports put three Subies in their top ten cars for 2014 or 15. Lots to like.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was between an Impreza and CX3 for me as well. Ultimately, it came down to cabin comfort, with the CX3 having considerably quieter cabin noise levels. Also, I had difficulty finding an Impreza in the configuration I wanted, as the 2015s were on their way out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had about 500 miles on the CX3 so far with blindspot monitor, and I don't really like it. It tends to generate a lot of false positive warnings on a busy highway. For example....
That would bug the heck out of me. I prefer actual visuals...like one with a camera or an elongated side mirror. It would probably cause me go flinch every time it happens...might even be a bit of a hazard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am commuting daily on a very crowded stop and go section of I95 every day and I really like having blind spot monitoring. I have owned my CX3 for over a month and now that I have gotten use to using the monitoring I wouldn't consider buying a car without it.

Drive the Impreza and then the CX3 and based on how they drive you should be able to make the call. My last 3 vehicles were Subies and both myself and my wife test drove an Impreza and were not impressed with the ride quality. Felt very tinny plus I didn't like the interior trim. The Legacy felt much better but was just too big.

I don't think reliability between Mazda and Subaru is a factor. More important is the Impreza model has been out for a bit and it's reliability is known while the CX3 is new and so has no history. As far as Suby reliability...I found it to be no better or worse then other Japanese cars I have owned (Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti). My last Suby...a Legacy GT had to be exchanged under lemon law so go figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Necro-bump.

Is it me, or are there variances to the BSM's sensitivity across Mazda's models? I own a '15 MZ3 Touring and I find its BSM much more sensitive than the CX-3's BSM. For instance, there could be a truck shadowing my right side and the CX-3's BSM won't pick it up for 3 seconds, whereas the MZ3 picks it up as soon as it's within a car length of my proximity. The left side BSM seems to pick things up as quickly as the MZ3's BSM.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Shouldn't both sensors be the same sensitivity?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Necro-bump.

Is it me, or are there variances to the BSM's sensitivity across Mazda's models? I own a '15 MZ3 Touring and I find its BSM much more sensitive than the CX-3's BSM. For instance, there could be a truck shadowing my right side and the CX-3's BSM won't pick it up for 3 seconds, whereas the MZ3 picks it up as soon as it's within a car length of my proximity. The left side BSM seems to pick things up as quickly as the MZ3's BSM.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Shouldn't both sensors be the same sensitivity?
I have a cx9 and a cx3. They seem to work better on the cx9. But the car is still new; maybe I just have to get used to them.

The salesman told me that lane departure seemed to work better on some models than others. I suppose it could have something to do with exactly where the sensors are and how they point.

I loved my Impreza and would have bought another if it came with BSM, but since it doesn't I am a CX3 owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Necro-bump.

My first impression was that my 2014 Mazda 3 hatch had more sensitive BSM sensors than my 2016 CX-3. Still seems to work pretty well, I can't imagine having a car without them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I loved my Impreza and would have bought another if it came with BSM, but since it doesn't I am a CX3 owner.
Still seems to work pretty well, I can't imagine having a car without them.
I was a Subaru guy as well before I switched back to Mazdas after getting rid of the STI. There seems to be a lot of praise going for the eyesights that Subaru is employing. My wife and I were cross-shopping with an eyesight-shod Crosstrek, but we didn't want to pay $25k plus for that technology.

It seems that Mazda is currently where Subaru was 10-15 years ago. Subarus packed a lot of value back then. Nowadays, it seems they've become complacent after so much growth.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts