Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Bicycle in a CX 3?

55K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  patriciadwyer 
#1 ·
I've not seen any photos...and frankly, even if I have to take off the front wheel, I would want to be able to do this.

Does anyone know for sure if one could get a standard bicycle in the back with the rear seats down?

#2 ·
Maybe with all the seats folded down, front wheel off the bike and laid down but i'm not confident. This was something i wanted but then changed my mind when i saw how awesome the car looked vs how often i actually take advantage of putting a bike in the back. If bike in the car was a bigger motivator i would have went CX-5. There is very few advantages of the CX-3 over the CX-5. About $4K cheaper per trim package on the CX-3.

Just to be clear, the CX-3 is very cramped. But it is a small car. My hatchback Saab has three times the storage.

I know you are looking for specific experience. My experience didn't go beyond opening the back and thinking "that's not happening, oh well."

#12 · (Edited)
Part 1

So i took some shots with the seat down and the little trunk cover still intact. My large Mountain Bike is covered in dirt because i use it, and i wasn't about to stick that in there. So i grabbed my street bike which is the same size. For reference I am 6' tall and didn't even have to lower the seat. Once the seat was down there was considerable more room than expected. It wasn't even really hard to get the bike in and out at all.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Here it is, i included a couple of different angles. You will see i have the passenger seat moved forward but it wasn't necessary.

The front wheel has to come off. I threw a pic of my best attempt to not remove the wheel; no dice.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
I would get a hitch then a bike rack.I couldn't get my bike in the back but I did not try too hard and it wasn't worth the hassle.A hitch and a bike rack is the way to go for peace of mind plus you can carry more than one bike.
I will be getting my hitch installed soon as I already have the bike rack.
My wife goes bike riding with me so two bikes and a passenger would not work for me if I had to put the bikes in the car.

#17 · (Edited)
Hi Playthru1 and LuisG,
I was thinking of going the Rack on the Rear, but just put roof racks on my car with the bike mounted on top, only thing that you have to remember is that your car is now 1mtrs taller, so not a good idea going into underground car parks, or ones with height restriction beams.
My concern with the Rear Rack was in that it may brake the Plastic Spoiler, plus the Paint damage from movement.
I know you would have thought about that issue, and fitted some real think Clear Car Bra Style Vinyl to that bottom edge of the Hatch, you could even put it where the Hooks go as well..... Just a thought.

As you can see in these Pictures, my Bike is a 2016 Giant Reign, Medium size and has an overall length of 1.9m I would have to remove both wheels and still fold down the rear seats, that would be a pain in the proverbial to say the least, plus the added assembly where ever you go.

Also even this bike on a rear hatch mount would extend past the rear of the car by quite a lot.

Just some more ideas for everyone.

Attachments

#19 ·
There won't be any paint damage with a hitch and bike rack.Your setup does look nice my only concern would be getting the bike on top without doing damage as it has to be awkward putting the bike on top.
My wife can put the bike on a bike rack on a bike rack with a hitch but there is no way she could put it on top of the vehicle.

#20 ·
I agree that it can be a bit of a stretch to get them up there, and can see what your saying. I just added some photo's for you to see, and the most important thing I suppose is it all depends on what type and size of bike we are trying to fit as most of these new style Enduro MTB's are very long in the wheel base.

All good best thing about it is getting out there and enjoying the ride as well.

Darren:)

#21 ·
I have the Bell hitch-mounted 2-bike rack and it works great with the hitch I installed. I have to pivot the rack down to open the hatch but it works fine (no rubbing or anything).

#25 ·
Installed Yakima Holdup EVO today. With a Mazda hitch receiver which for some reason not even rated as class I. It's got a sticker on it says max load 150lbs and not to be use to tow anything.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Installed Yakima Holdup EVO today. With a Mazda hitch receiver which for some reason not even rated as class I. It's got a sticker on it says max load 150lbs and not to be [used] to tow anything.
It's not the hitch, per se, I'm worried about. Rather, (at least with the Curt hitch) it's how it's attached that bothers me.

Looking up under the rear "bumper", you'll see it's bolted to a few flimsy bits of sheet metal. The hitch bracket itself dangles down like a lever. If someone ever hits it, like a can opener, it'll split open and peel off the whole rear end! At a minimum, some hard-to-get-to "frame" members could be easily bent.

As always, IMO (or IM Imagination :)

P.S. I have a Curt hitch with a brightly chromed European ball perched out at the end. It's my attempt to keep tyro parkers from tearing-up the plastic bumper. ('Had the same set-up on my Prius, but a distracted young lady took a left into it and knocked off the front end ... hence the CX-3.)

#29 · (Edited)
Unfortunately for bikes, my Mazda 2 is not the best car to install ladder. On read door is impossible and on roof to small area and very difficult to install bikes there. Maybe with other ladders would be possible, did not do proper search on google, but this topic brings me back to this issue I had personally. Will try something else, good this topic reminded me. Also, for a bonus want to share with other what I have bought for my bike at summer from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Rechargeable-Illumination-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B078TB9TMK , this illumination device is pretty good and price is under $15 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.