Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to update my current factory 18" wheels to a set of 18x8" wheels with a 235/45/18 tire. I see most of the recommended wheels from Discount Tire, etc. fall within the +45 to +35 offset range. I know some of you on here have switched wheels. What has been your luck with a +35 offset vs a +45?

Thanks.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a 2017 Meteor Gray, mine was a sport so it came with 16" wheels.
I replaced them with 17X7.5 with a 45 offset wheels and 225/55R17 tires. I wouldn't go more than 45 offset even with 8" width.
Here is a good place to compare how stock and after market wheels differ in clearance.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/cx-3/2017/
I was leaning to +45 as well just by my experience with my Mazdaspeed, etc. I just noticed that some are getting away with a +35 and many tire stores are showing the +35 as a recommended offset. It seems a little extreme, but there is a ways to go before the tires are even flush with the fender lips. Of course, I would hate to have rubbing.

I am interested in what others say as well. Thanks for your input!:D

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Tire Rack lists wheels in +40 to +50. I ran +38 for a while and it was fine though they were pretty close to "hellaflush" status. If I could get the perfect looking wheel in any offset, I'd go with in the +40 to +45 range.

Though, honestly, I'd put a higher priority on every other aspect of wheel selection and only use offset if it was a dead heat between two of them.

· Registered
214 Posts
I run a 17x8" wheel with a +45mm offset and it fits just right IMO. I can also do a +40mm wheel. Running a +35mm puts you at risk of rubbing if the suspension jars up over a large bump or if you are considering lowering the car later on.

You can take a look here at how the different offsets look compared to stock.

+45mm offset

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

+40mm offset

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

+35mm offset

Tony

· Registered
132 Posts
Thought I would

I was leaning to +45 as well just by my experience with my Mazdaspeed, etc. I just noticed that some are getting away with a +35 and many tire stores are showing the +35 as a recommended offset. It seems a little extreme, but there is a ways to go before the tires are even flush with the fender lips. Of course, I would hate to have rubbing.

I am interested in what others say as well. Thanks for your input!:D
put some details from my experience

I have 20" x 8.5" +35 running 235/35/20's
Lowered CorkSport Coils (just on 2" drop)
NO Rubbing at all.

Darren

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put some details from my experience

I have 20" x 8.5" +35 running 235/35/20's
Lowered CorkSport Coils (just on 2" drop)
NO Rubbing at all.

Darren

How do things look to the edges of your fenders? Any poke? What about dirt, mud, rain? Any excessive splash? Thanks.

· Registered
214 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. You guys have been super helpful.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like that calculator. Hadn't seen it before. Much better than others.

But, the factory 18" wheels are 7" wide I believe, not 6.5.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's cool. I already did that. I'm looking at slightly over 1" more poke with the +35 and a little under 3/4" poke with the +45. I'll do some measuring.

· Registered
132 Posts
Wheels

How do things look to the edges of your fenders? Any poke? What about dirt, mud, rain? Any excessive splash? Thanks.
do sit pretty close to the fender edges on the front, the rear is really perfect, my way of thinking of things with MY Car, is that it would be perfect to have a +35 for the Rear, and a +45 for the Fronts, this can be achieved with custom wheels or maybe a machine shop may be able to change the back spacing, but as I said, MY Car has 20" x 8.5", I would not change a thing on it, it now sits perfect for MY liking in the way I have lowered it, etc it does NOT Scrub tyres, and rides like the Factory Springs did, compared to the Eibach's I had in it previously.

In regard to rain, dirt, etc who is really worried about that, get out and enjoy your car.
Wash your pride and joy on a regular basis, keep it looking like new, as we can not change what the weather is going to do.

The whole idea of changing whether it be wheels, suspension, de-badging, changing exhaust, what ever we all do is all to do with personal preference, thats what is so good we are all different in what we want to do.

Again this is my opinion only, and glad there are so many others that can share their ideas as well.;)

Darren

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks like perfect fitment. Thank you for the input and pics.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up getting Konig Oversteers in 18x8" with a +45mm offset. Now to decide on a 235/45 or a 245/45 tire...

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have exactly what you're asking about: Enkei Raijin 18x8, 45mm offset, Continental Extremecontact 235/45/18. Fitment is great with improved ride over stock 18".
Can you tell me how good the clearance is in between the tire/wheel and the strut?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.