Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
Yah, a lot of mechanics subscribe to the "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing" philosophy.

It's really annoying.

Glad you got things taken care of yourself! If you expect to be lifting the car more than once or twice a year, I recommend you invest ~$100 in a hydraulic floor jack. IMO, the screw/scissor jacks should be for emergency use only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Costco had a very reasonable jack (often). If you plan on doing anything like tire rotations, brakes or even oil changes you should not rely on the included jack as @NotAPreppie has mentioned. The included OEM jack is for "emergency" use. If is used as a service jack it will loose stability for when you need it.

Never work under a car without a jack-stand or equivalent.

Rally repair tire-stand.jpg <-- professionals 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks @NotAPreppie and @DrFeelGood, I'll definitely buy a jack.
Since I can't see myself using it for anything other than tire changes twice a year, I think I'll go for this one:
View attachment 23351
Reviews seem decent for what I need it for.
Edit: Dang Ive got to learn to read better. For just tire changes you should be fine. Extra capacity would not hurt but for the cx-3 and simple jobs along the side of the car it will be alright.
--

Looks alright for basic usage as long as you are not going underneath it but if I were to subscribe to the if its worth doing- its worth overdoing philosophy here lol I would try to look for a 3ton floor jack if available and within price range willing to spend on and 3ton or higher jack stand set. This is one of those cases where it might be beneficial to have that extra threshold before failure seeing as if the jack or stands ever fail while underneath its going to be an unpleasant time.

Then again this is the only thing Im overly paranoid about aside from the fear of not getting all the air out of a fluid line haha.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
If possible, try to find a jack with a larger saddle. Those incredibly cheap ones with the 1" - 2" saddles are still kind of dangerous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If possible, try to find a jack with a larger saddle. Those incredibly cheap ones with the 1" - 2" saddles are still kind of dangerous.
Update on this Jack and Stand Kit (Certified #009-1061-0):
  • The wheel chocks are great. They fold down to become compact during storage and have a high visibility sticker on them.
  • The pair of 2-ton axle stands are good. Each one is stamped for "2-tons" but I've heard that the rating is for when both are used together. Unsure if an individual stand can hold up 2 tons. Welds on the stands are also good but be sure to check them on any stands.
  • The 2-ton trolley jack is OK for the CX-3 but I was unable to lift a Nissan Rouge high enough to change a tire. The quality is a lacking and I agree with @NotAPreppie that a larger saddle is better - but if you only want to lift one corner of the CX-3 to access the wheel well or change a tire its fine for the job. The ratcheting handle is a bit short but I don't mind since it makes it easy to put away for storage.
  • I do not recommend product from a safety perspective... but it fits the bill if you just want to do tire changes.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts