Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

AWD OR FWD?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-3 Akari AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I’m new to the forum and am about to purchase a 2021 CX-3 Akari Auto.

I’m from Melbourne,Victoria, Australia and am needing some good current insight on AWD vs FWD?

I know the new systems for the predictive AWD are suppose to be really good however I am hearing some differences in fuel efficiency between the two, however what I’m reading was over 5 years ago in this forum.

I have never been a fan of FWD which is why I was going for the AWD in the first place.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 2016 CX-3 is the first AWD vehicle I have owned. It is so good that I swear I will never buy another non-AWD vehicle again. The system on the CX-3 makes driving in poor conditions fun. I'm in Canada where four months of the year the roads can be snow-covered and this car gives me an excuse to go out for a drive in a blizzard!

My previous vehicle was a FWD Tribute, which had better ground clearance but wasn't good in the snow. In the CX-3 you just punch the gas pedal and away it goes. The fuel mileage in the CX-3 is at least as good or better than my old four-cylinder Tribute. For me any difference in fuel economy between the FWD and AWD models is more than offset by the shear fun to drive the AWD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2016 CX-3 is the first AWD vehicle I have owned. It is so good that I swear I will never buy another non-AWD vehicle again. The system on the CX-3 makes driving in poor conditions fun. I'm in Canada where four months of the year the roads can be snow-covered and this car gives me an excuse to go out for a drive in a blizzard!

My previous vehicle was a FWD Tribute, which had better ground clearance but wasn't good in the snow. In the CX-3 you just punch the gas pedal and away it goes. The fuel mileage in the CX-3 is at least as good or better than my old four-cylinder Tribute. For me any difference in fuel economy between the FWD and AWD models is more than offset by the shear fun to drive the AWD.
Hey Malks! Thanks for the reply.

Yes I’ve heard nothing but good things about the AWD CX-3 in the snow. The weather in Australia isn’t so bad in that sense however we can get some extremely wet weather, heavy rain, and flooding, no snow though.

Slipping or sliding going through a round about or sharp turn in the wet was the main reason I was looking to go for the AWD. Just needed to see if it was worth the decrease in economy (if there is as much as the figures say).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Slipping or sliding going through a round about or sharp turn in the wet was the main reason I was looking to go for the AWD. Just needed to see if it was worth the decrease in economy (if there is as much as the figures say).
Well I can tell you that slipping and sliding on any poor road surface is not something to worry about in an AWD CX-3. The system just seems to know when and where it's needed and you simply drive along as if the roadway is clear and dry. Dry roads are even more fun because this car corners like it's on rails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can tell you that slipping and sliding on any poor road surface is not something to worry about in an AWD CX-3. The system just seems to know when and where it's needed and you simply drive along as if the roadway is clear and dry. Dry roads are even more fun because this car corners like it's on rails.
I think you’ve sold me. It’s no race car but I’m a pretty aggressive driver at times so taking a fast corner or two is definitely on the cards.

Any mods on yours? Wheels, exhaust etc?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine is pretty much a stock GT model. I bought it used two years ago and have only added the OEM roof rail and crossbars to hold my ski rack. I have a set of aftermarket 17" aluminium rims mounted with Michelin X-Ice winter tires. Other than those things I am very pleased with the performance of the car and don't see any need to do any improvements.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh awesome. The ice tyres would be handy in Canada.

I’m looking to purchase a set of 19” CX5 rims, possibly put on some 235/35/19 tyres, hoping they will fit well without any rubbing. I can’t see myself doing much else other than maybe a simple exhaust. As you said as it is makes a great car!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I’m from Melbourne,Victoria, Australia and am needing some good current insight on AWD vs FWD?

I know the new systems for the predictive AWD are suppose to be really good however I am hearing some differences in fuel efficiency between the two, however what I’m reading was over 5 years ago in this forum.

I have never been a fan of FWD which is why I was going for the AWD in the first place.

Cheers!
I live in Florida and went with FWD. I do not intend to go off roading or on the beaches and there is no snow. Where you intend to drive will decide what you should buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Florida and went with FWD. I do not intend to go off roading or on the beaches and there is no snow. Where you intend to drive will decide what you should buy.
After a lot of thinking I think I’ll stick with AWD, regardless of the driving conditions. I’ll take better handling and having the option over not. I can see myself having more fun with it coming from an Audi S3, but still having something fuel efficient. I’d go a much cheaper car if I didn’t care!

·
Registered
25 Posts

Cheers!
Hi! I have a 2019 Mazda CX-3 with on-demand AWD that I've had for a year now. I have about 9,700 miles on it, to give you an idea. I probably drive 1/2 and 1/2 between highway miles and city driving. (I'm not sure if the Mazda AWD system (traditional torque converter transmission) is different in Australia--I'm in the USA.) From what I've researched, Mazda's AWD system is much more reliable than most of the other brands out there. In my research in the past, I saw that Mazda's traditional torque converter transmission lasted more miles than the CVT transmission. The CVT transmissions only last about 100,000 miles. I don't know how long I'll have my vehicle but I tend to keep them a while. Plus, it helps it uphold its value. Also, many of them are always AWD so the mpg is not so good. I get great mileage (approx. 30 mpg) with this vehicle--the same as my 2012 Mazda 2 which only had Front Wheel Drive. Actually, I've found some sweet spots with this vehicle that if I drive a few mpg slower I get 6 more mpg. Particularly in these days of rising gas prices, I don't mind taking a few extra minutes getting somewhere. (From 70 mph to 65 mph).

I hope this helps you some. (I never liked FWD either.)

Take care and drive happy:)

An excerpt from that may be somewhat helpful:

Under that long nose is Mazda’s 2.0-litre Skyactiv-G four-cylinder naturally aspirated engine with 110kW and 195Nm available. It’s not a world-beater by any stretch and can sound particularly raspy first thing in the morning, but it performs surprisingly well in the 1280kg Mazda.

You need to rev it out for decent power, as the output peaks at 6000rpm but the torque-band hits its top at just 2800rpm, giving a sense of sportiness to the CX-3, especially when running about town. The engine note isn't anything to write home about, but despite the conservative output figures, the CX-3 still zips along well enough.
The six-speed automatic is a traditional torque converter transmission and works well with the little 2.0-litre. There’s no elasticity or lag as you find with CVT or multi-clutch systems, and the car settles well at middling speeds, making it an easy cruiser on the freeway.

Mazda claims 6.7L/100km consumption on a combined cycle, but as is the regular experience with Mazdas, we saw higher, around the mid 9L/100km mark. Worth noting too, that buttons you think will control the trip computer don’t, and you’ll no doubt change the radio station a few times as you try to find the data you need.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I totally agree! Funny, I just had to respond because I have a 2019 Mazda CX-3 and it is the first AWD vehicle I've owned too.
My previous vehicle was also a FWD Tribute, but it was old and got bad gas mileage. This was a vehicle I used as a backup vehicle.
I've also owned a 2012 Mazda2 which I enjoyed but it was too small and eventually I got the 2019...had an accident or would still have it, but I'm very glad to have AWD now:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts