Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always told that AWD lead to increased tire wear but knowing that the CX3 runs FWD mostly and following tire rotation every 7500miles.

Does anyone have an estimate of the tire/tyre life expected out of the OEM tires?

I know a lot has to do with driving style and road quality, but lets say highway mostly and not much spirited cornering. What numbers are you expecting?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Not sure about tire life but the same would apply to how much time it spends in AWD - it depends on lots of factors but could be more than FWD. That little AWD clutch never stops to rest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tread wear expectancy is the same on a 2WD and AWD, assuming you rotate tires regularly.

Assuming no tire rotation, AWD is actually a little bit better since drive force is distributed among all 4 wheels and not just the front or the rears. When braking, better weight distribution on AWD also means more even wear as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to revive dead thread here, but has anyone rotated their tyres yet? It says it should be done after 6250miles, mine had done more than that when it went in for a service, but they didn't rotate the tyres.
Is this supposed to be user maintenance? Surely this should've been done in the service shouldn't it?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry to revive dead thread here, but has anyone rotated their tyres yet? It says it should be done after 6250miles, mine had done more than that when it went in for a service, but they didn't rotate the tyres.
Is this supposed to be user maintenance? Surely this should've been done in the service shouldn't it?
Was this your first service, and other than change the oil and filter, what _did_ they do?

Over here, under the Fixed Maintenance regimine, tire rot'n is recommended at 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to revive dead thread here, but has anyone rotated their tyres yet?
I drive about 15 000 - 16 000 km / year and I have winter and summer tyres.
I rotate both after every 3500...4000 km.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mine says to rotate after 5000 miles. I did it once at about 5000 and then replaced all my tires at around 10000. I'm at about 12000 miles right now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mine says to rotate after 5000 miles. I did it once at about 5000 and then replaced all my tires at around 10000. I'm at about 12000 miles right now.
10K? Why and with what did you replace them?

·
Registered
893 Posts
10K? Why and with what did you replace them?
Well, a few reasons. I never liked the stock tires to begin with, they were too loud in my opinion, and the weird size (215/50R18) and cost ($200 each, ridiculous) of the OEM tires which for some reason are the only ones available in that size scared me if I ever needed to replace one in an emergency situation. Some time before I replaced the tires I hit a really big pothole that slightly ripped one of the tires in two places and slightly bent the wheel (still driveable but didn't want to risk driving on that tire too much), so that just made me decide to replace all 4 tires.

I went with a very well reviewed and recommended Continental TrueContact tires in size 225/50R18 which is about 1% larger than the stock tires, and they cost about $110 each if I remember correctly. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well, a few reasons. I never liked the stock tires to begin with, they were too loud in my opinion, and the weird size (215/50R18) and cost ($200 each, ridiculous) of the OEM tires which for some reason are the only ones available in that size scared me if I ever needed to replace one in an emergency situation. Some time before I replaced the tires I hit a really big pothole that slightly ripped one of the tires in two places and slightly bent the wheel (still driveable but didn't want to risk driving on that tire too much), so that just made me decide to replace all 4 tires.

I went with a very well reviewed and recommended Continental TrueContact tires in size 225/50R18 which is about 1% larger than the stock tires, and they cost about $110 each if I remember correctly. Very happy with them.
Agree 100%! OEM's noisy, mediocre snow traction, etc. ... tirerack also downgrades the Yokohamas.

While the price of the Conti's has gone up, I plan on switching to them as soon as I can justify the $. For my recently departed Prius I had a set of Blizzaks on cheap allloys to deal with Maine winters. I subsequently replaced the stock summer tires with TrueContacts ... quieter, more comfortable, and at least 90% as capable in the winter as the Blizzaks. The Blizzaks never went back on.

I'll bet the Conti's even look better than the Yoko's on the CX-3 :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yep it looks great! I like the larger tire, very subtle difference but somehow looks nicer in my opinion, a more proper SUV look lol.

I definitely took snow traction into consideration when I bought this, while we don't get too much snow here, we still get some every year, we just had our first snow 2 days ago and it was a couple inches. There's no need to buy dedicated winter tires here, but I figured a good all-season tire with excellent snow traction should be good. And yes, not only is it quieter it absorbs bumps much better than the stock Yokohamas.

I've noticed TireRack prices fluctuate quite a bit, I must have gotten a good deal on mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts