Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can install auxiliary high beam driving lights without any special wiring harness / module?

I have Hella FF200 Xenon lights from my previous car (2010 Lancer RAlliArt). It had a CAN bus system. I only used a diode on the wire going from bi xenon projector high beam cut off plate solenoid to auxiliary light relay coil. Didn't have any error codes or other problems.

My CX-3 has LED lights and there is a separate high beam light. Do they run on 12 V voltage or lower? Can I use the positive wire of high beam LED for auxiliary light relay coil if I use a diode? Or will it cause some problems?

·
Registered
275 Posts
There might be somewhere in the harness you can plug it into but the location of that I wouldn't be sure of. Only way I can think of that we'll get that information is though a service manual.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pretty sure that's the Owners Manual not the Service Manual.
That it is, it even says that in big letters, sure can't miss that out.

Services manuals usually get leak and aren't what they'll freely give out.

At times you can find them online for purchase. But it's going to be expensive.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The proper workshop Manual wiring diagram is here. The headlight is output from the CPU but doesn’t say at what voltage here. A voltmeter would be a good start!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The proper workshop Manual wiring diagram is here. The headlight is output from the CPU but doesn’t say at what voltage here. A voltmeter would be a good start!
Thanks for your help.

I'm going to spend my weekend installing mud flaps and center armrest, waxing body panels and wheels.

If I have time I will also start to prepare aux light installation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a look behind the headlight unit and only one plug was visible. I believe it was for the auto leveling motor. It had three wires: white, white/green and black/red (if I remember correctly).

Anchorman, do you have coloring codes for the wiring diagrams?
For example LH headlight HI wire is named 4A, but what color is it?
It would be nice to find the right wire without taking the bumper and headlights of.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I took a look behind the headlight unit and only one plug was visible. I believe it was for the auto leveling motor. It had three wires: white, white/green and black/red (if I remember correctly).

Anchorman, do you have coloring codes for the wiring diagrams?
For example LH headlight HI wire is named 4A, but what color is it?
It would be nice to find the right wire without taking the bumper and headlights of.
Can you pick up the main beam feed with your multimeter or presumably, you can’t reach it?

It looks like the wires go to a remote plug that might be accessible - see the attached pdf.

Viewing the manual is paid access. I will have a look later this week so bear with me. Snoogie works for Mazda - he might be able to tell you beforehand.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
pdf here;

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you pick up the main beam feed with your multimeter or presumably, you can’t reach it?
Reaching to the connector is the problem. Maybe on left side you could see it if you remove the wheel arch liner. Therefore it would be nice to track down the wire from fuse box or some other reachable location.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at a photo that Anchorman posted earlier and I think I know now where the headlight wiring plug is located. Under the headlight just above washer fluid reservoir. Not easy to reach:mad:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Here’s a slightly better view via image hosting;

.....and here is the other side;

or both if you can make out what is what;

You would think it would make sense to have the plug on the headlight but it doesn’t always follow. If you zoom in to those plugs, the seals are so good it would make getting a multimeter probe awkward to get in. Just take care in that unplugging things sometimes throws up “no communication with CPU" fault codes. Not a problem if you have a code reader but awkward if not. You sure you want driving lights?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You sure you want driving lights?
Yes. I could get 60 meters more range (on the left lane) with the auxiliary lights.
Here is a picture where I combined two measurements made by a Finnish car magazine. Light intensity inside the blue area is above 5 lux. Mazda LED Hi beams are not that spectacular. But they are not the worst on the market.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe on left side you could see it if you remove the wheel arch liner.
I wondered how it looked so empty under the the left-hand side headlight on the photos, but there is no i-Eloop condensator on Anchorman's car.

I have it in my car so still no luck with finding the right wire.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I got the lights installed. Found the right wire on the wiring loom that goes from fuse box to the left-hand side headlight. It was light blue wire if anyone wants to know.
Interesting. How do you rate the driving lights. Do they make a big difference?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the roads I do most of my kilometers (rural areas) they really are worth every hour I spend poking around the engine bay and installing them.

Biggest difference is in the range and width of the light pattern at 200+ meters.
Remembering how long the stopping distance in the winter condition can be and occasional moose or deer on the road I wouldn't feel comfortable driving without them. You also have more light when going up or downhill.

I had the same lights on my previous car I got used to them. I think that need for this type of lights really depends on what sort of driving you do.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
For the roads I do most of my kilometers (rural areas) they really are worth every hour I spend poking around the engine bay and installing them.

Biggest difference is in the range and width of the light pattern at 200+ meters.
Remembering how long the stopping distance in the winter condition can be and occasional moose or deer on the road I wouldn't feel comfortable driving without them. You also have more light when going up or downhill.

I had the same lights on my previous car I got used to them. I think that need for this type of lights really depends on what sort of driving you do.
I might be interested in a similar mod. Can you tell us more about the lights you used and be a bit clearer about where you spliced in to the blue wire please.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is link to manufacturers site: My Hella Lights :: FF200 Xenon

If you want LED lights, Luminalights spider 7" and Power X 80 W are good options with reasonable pricing. Both have ~ 260 m range (>5 lux ).
Power X is also sold as SAE 210.

I took two photos of the wiring (with Lumia, in dark garage). It is the main loom that comes from the fuse box (in the engine room). You can easily see where it splits towards (under) the left-hand side headlight. (My car is LHD 2.0 Gasoline AWD with Manual gearbox.)
Here is link to one drive:http://1drv.ms/1MLdSnJ
My car is LHD 2.0 Gasoline AWD with Manual gearbox.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts