Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Getting a pukka mechanic whole put it in as good as the factory did is a bit hit and miss.
Thank you for teaching me my first Hindi word. ;)
Had to look that one up!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Thank you for teaching me my first Hindi word. ;)
Had to look that one up!
I didn't know myself. Wiki explain it as this so you can pick out my meaning!

Pukka (Hindi पक्का, Urdu پكّا pakkā) is a word of Hindi and Urdu origin, literally meaning "cooked, ripe" and figuratively "fully formed", "solid", "permanent", "for real" or "sure". In UK slang, it can mean "genuine" or simply "very good"; see also pukka sahib.

Reactions: Sarah

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hope anchorman you don't start using too many words like पक्का, پكّا pakkā in your posts (can't get my tongue or mind around them) hah, hah.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay so I'm gonna bump this thread back to life. Looks like most people on here have 16's with the trans issues. I have a FWD USDM model with ~1500 miles and my trans is doing the hokey pokey. I noticed it and just thought I was imagining things, my last car was a '15 6MT WRX so I really have no comparison to an anemic NA slushbox. So my wife, who for comps owns a CX-5, was complaining my car shifts erratically and hesitates from P->D or @ stop-start and low speeds. This is the same thing I've been feeling. So has anyone had any luck finding out more about this? Is there a TSB out there? Has Mazda acknowledged the same? Is there a PCM patch? I googled it and have had no luck finding anything for the 17's. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mine has similar issues. not every morning but some when i start my car and go to drive off my caw will sit still and rev high then a second later it will kick in and jolt me and the car. and a lot of times when i get on the interstate it wont switch gears and i look down and its in the read and i have to let off the gas and apply gas to get the gears to switch. i took it in a week ago and they said nothing is wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
There’s a very similar fault on the CX-5s. Maybe you could print this and take it to the dealer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
There’s a very similar fault on the CX-5s. Maybe you could print this and take it to the dealer.
Most US dealer service advisers will look at that, see that it doesn't mention "CX-3" anywhere, and say, "We'll look into it." before pitching it in the trash once you're out of view.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most US dealer service advisers will look at that, see that it doesn't mention "CX-3" anywhere, and say, "We'll look into it." before pitching it in the trash once you're out of view.
Oh, ye of little faith. (now, where have I heard that before)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of the Mazdas share their drivetrains so a fault w/ the CX5 would warrant a second nod to its little brother. I'm getting annoyed with this situation quickly. This is my 7th Mazda, but I've always had an MT before this. I can handle the squeaks and rattles, but I expect that the car is mechanically sound. I'll print that form off and hand it the tech advisor. I'm also going to data log the car with an OBD dongle and present it at the same time to show the erratic throttle output vs the TPS position. I feel as a fairly informed person I can make enough noise to get this resolved. I'll data log and post results here so we can all see exactly what's happening, be it a PCM issue...which I suspect it is, or a mechanical/manufacturing defect. I'm going to say based on my past experience this is the variable valve timing-shift pattern fighting with itself. Trying to find both sides of sport and eco at the same time, although I haven't read the attached document in the previous post.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean but a good workshop manager will realise that the last 7 pages describe the process for addressing the exact problem on an identical transmission. I suspect the TSB will be opened up to different models as faults get reported. Sometimes the tail needs to wag the dog.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i agree. all they told me is they couldn't recreate it even tho i have video of the car jerking so hard it threw my phone into the dash. all she basically did was blame me for my "driving habit" because my car says i'm getting 23mpg when i should be getting around 30mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
This thread now unstuck and free to mingle with all the other oldies!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Mazda cx-3 with 6,600 miles, it was jerking when I accelerated took it to the dealer today it needs a new transmission

·
Registered
5 Posts
My issues just suddenly disappeared right around the time I took my car in for an unrelated issue. They told they flashed my PCM with a newer software version to fix an issue with my infotainment system???? IDK how any of that makes sense, but my issues stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having transmission issues with my CX3 too. Love the car killers looks with 18" wheels but it drives like ****. I'm wondering if anyone has been experiencing any shifting issues with their cars?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been having transmission issues with my CX3 too. I'm wondering if anyone has been experiencing any shifting issues with their cars?
Dude, that is what this whole thread is about....

What year is your CX-3? The most problematic seem to be 2016s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK Folks, reason I'm looking at CX3 is the absolutely awful reliability of the Ford Focus DCT. Seems like the CX3 is not issue free in the transmission area. Is it certain model years? I'm assuming the transmission is not your conventional slush box and has all manner of 'sophisticated' electronics to maximize gas mileage?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
109 Posts
OK Folks, reason I'm looking at CX3 is the absolutely awful reliability of the Ford Focus DCT. Seems like the CX3 is not issue free in the transmission area. Is it certain model years? I'm assuming the transmission is not your conventional slush box and has all manner of 'sophisticated' electronics to maximize gas mileage?

Thanks
There were a few issues that popped up at the very beginning when people were getting their cars. However, that seems to have died down. This 6spd trans is used across the Mazda line up and really is pretty stout. For an auto trans, it behaves very well in my opinion. I had some issues when I first purchased the car with jerkiness, especially when cold. However, that issue seems to have resolved itself, and I for one am very happy.

The CX-3 seems relatively problem free, even the "launch edition" 2016s. The big problems to look out for in the 2016s are foggy headlamps (and the driver's side appears to be most problematic) and a faulty A/C evaporator. So if you are purchasing a 2016, I would advise that you check to make sure the A/C works. Mazda does have a TSB for this issue and they seem to take care of the problem without too much trouble. However, I would want to avoid any issues if possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Thanks
There will always be a few with faulty transmissions, but it's not that common with the Skyactiv-Drive transmission.
They are pretty sturdy and work well.
And it actually is a"slush box" but Mazda has improved it in several ways:
MAZDA: SKYACTIV-DRIVE | SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok folks thanks for the updates. I’m kinda hoping that whatever the issues were they are resolved in the later model years. Foggy headlamps and ac issues I can live with, it’s ‘vital organ’ failure that has me nervous. We have two Mazda’s a 98 MPV with 137K miles, has had new fuel sender unit and one off power window switch, the Mazda 6 2010 107 K miles has had two headlight bulbs replaced. Wonderful vehicles. I screwed up very badly with the Ford Focus, lulled into thinking modern day car, what could go wrong. Totally my fault, an internet search would have revealed all. Thanks for the responses.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts