Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AUTO DOOR LOCKING ON DRIVE...

In these days of repeated car jacking why can't I set the doors to lock when shifting out of park to drive.

I rang my local Madza dealership and after asking the salesman that sold it to us how to set it I was quickly shunted to the workshop only to be told by a mechanic..."do it yourself before you drive off" (bit rude) and "no sorry that feature is not available"

No point arguing.

My 11year old crappy Holden work wagen has this feature and its changeable.

I know the entire wiring system can do it so why is it not available standard or as an update.

If my wife gets carjacked how is everyone going to feel.

Best it be available very very soon...

·
Registered
451 Posts
AUTO DOOR LOCKING ON DRIVE...

In these days of repeated car jacking why can't I set the doors to lock when shifting out of park to drive.

I rang my local Madza dealership and after asking the salesman that sold it to us how to set it I was quickly shunted to the workshop only to be told by a mechanic..."do it yourself before you drive off" (bit rude) and "no sorry that feature is not available"

No point arguing.

My 11year old crappy Holden work wagen has this feature and its changeable.

I know the entire wiring system can do it so why is it not available standard or as an update.

If my wife gets carjacked how is everyone going to feel.

Best it be available very very soon...
Actually your CX3 does have Auto lock doors just like the old Holden. I suggest you retrieve your User's Manual and turn to page 3-15 for instructions on how to operate this function. It is probably Function 2 that you want. When your car reaches 12 mph (20 km/h), all locks should click shut automatically. Or you can make it independent of speed and have them lock as soon as you shift from P to any other gear by selecting function 4. You can tweak it further by choosing other function numbers. To change from one function to another you need to read how to do this using the external door lock button in the Manual.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually your CX3 does have Auto lock doors just like the old Holden. I suggest you retrieve your User's Manual and turn to page 3-15 for instructions on how to operate this function...
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's just one of the many feature differences between countries. It's not available on UK spec. CX-3's and the door lock switches are different. Although IMO door locking is not something that absolutely has to be done automatically, it can be done manually quite easily.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's just one of the many feature differences between countries. It's not available on UK spec. CX-3's and the door lock switches are different. Although IMO door locking is not something that absolutely has to be done automatically, it can be done manually quite easily.
Correct.
The European (and I believe Australian) CX-3 has different lock switches compared to the US and these doesn't include "drive-away" lock (which I also miss from my previous car).

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
Yah, I guess Mazda thinks carjackings only happen in the USDM.

I was able to code mine to lock as soon as I shift out of park and unlock when I shift back into park.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I actually disabled this function. It is really not needed in most of Canada. Maybe it is needed in some parts of downtown Toronto or Vancouver but not where I live and drive. The one scenario that gives me the willies is if I am in an accident and the doors are jammed shut and I am trapped in a burning car because all locks have automatically deployed.

Reactions: Malks

·
Registered
872 Posts
I actually disabled this function. It is really not needed in most of Canada. Maybe it is needed in some parts of downtown Toronto or Vancouver but not where I live and drive. The one scenario that gives me the willies is if I am in an accident and the doors are jammed shut and I am trapped in a burning car because all locks have automatically deployed.
Having your vehicles doors locked in an accident keeps you safer as you reduce the risk of doors coming open, you being thrown out. Keeping doors closed in an accident also adds to the vehicles structure to better withstand the accident. Locked doors are set to auto unlock once airbags have deployed on most modern cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife actually made this comment to me when she heard the auto lock come on. She was worried that in an accident people wouldn't be able to open the doors from the outside. As DJ9999 said my understanding is they automatically unlock if the vehicle is in a serious enough accident to cause the airbags to be deployed.

I personally feel safer with the auto lock feature and am surprised it's not offered in all regions. After all you can always disable it if your not comfortable with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
"Door unlock (control) system with collision detection - This system automatically unlocks the doors in the event the vehicle is involved in an accident to allow passengers to get out of the vehicle immediately and prevent being trapped inside. While the ignition is switched ON and in the event the vehicle receives an impact strong enough to inflate the air bags, all the doors are automatically unlocked after about 6 seconds have elapsed from the time of the accident.

The doors may not unlock depending on how an impact is applied, the force of the impact, and other conditions of the accident.

If door-related systems or the battery is malfunctioning, the doors will not unlock.
"

It's another of those features described in the Owner's Manual and unhelpfully marked "Some models". I don't know how you tell if you have this control system or not prior to setting off the airbags.

·
Registered
327 Posts
"Door unlock (control) system with collision detection - This system automatically unlocks the doors in the event the vehicle is involved in an accident to allow passengers to get out of the vehicle immediately and prevent being trapped inside. While the ignition is switched ON and in the event the vehicle receives an impact strong enough to inflate the air bags, all the doors are automatically unlocked after about 6 seconds have elapsed from the time of the accident.

The doors may not unlock depending on how an impact is applied, the force of the impact, and other conditions of the accident.

If door-related systems or the battery is malfunctioning, the doors will not unlock.
"

It's another of those features described in the Owner's Manual and unhelpfully marked "Some models". I don't know how you tell if you have this control system or not prior to setting off the airbags.
If I remember right, this setting can be configured in the infotainment system settings under Safety tab. I might be wrong on that location, but I know it's buried in the settings somewhere if you have the feature. If it's not there or it's greyed out then either the car is moving while you're looking or you don't have the feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I'll check again, but I'm fair sure that even when locked, if you pull the door handles from the inside front seats, the door will open.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll check again, but I'm fair sure that even when locked, if you pull the door handles from the inside front seats, the door will open.
Correct! The locked doors will open from the inside if the handle is pulled. My wife uncovered this on my first day of ownership.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: bobstar_fr

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the switch. I'm hoping there is an alternative way of doing it, coding it with a computer?
Your CX-3 must not be a US model. If that's the case, I don't think it can be done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Your CX-3 must not be a US model. If that's the case, I don't think it can be done.
Well, not super easily for the Average Joe, anyway. I'm sure you could probably MacGyver something in there by tapping into the wiring for the switch on the gear selector that detects when it's in Park. You may or may not have to devise some way to converting that constant on/off signal to a momentary signal to open/close the locks. Long durations of an "on" signal to the lock switch and/or directly to the solenoid probably is not good for it, I imagine. I bet someone crafty enough with electrical circuits could rig something up to make it work if they felt it worth the trouble to do so. Any Electrical Engineers around?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts