Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install the mazda auto dimming mirror on a CX3 GT with tech package (has the additional cameras etc on the windshield).

Does anyone have any experience installing the mirror? How challenging is it? The potential disassembly of the interior for the electrical hookup concerns me a bit.

If anyone had the dealer install it, what did the dealer quote for labor?

The autodimming mirror was conspicuously left off from the factory, and I didn't realize it didn't come standard.:|

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
You can get into that enclosure easily. It all depends if you can find a mirror with the right mount.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Any U.S. GT owners here who have gotten this mirror option installed?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
It's easy to get a 12v switched feed around the trim and into the cavity. I've shown that with the dash cam. Those covers on the camera pod just pull off sideways. If I remember, I will look at the mirror mount this weekend.

These are the CX5 instructions.

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5mirror.pdf

This is the CX5 part on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mazda-Accessories-0000-8C-R01-Installation/dp/B00B3RFNG0

I personally don't need home link so this would do me.

http://www.amazon.com/TRIBUTE-DIMMI...wDmLjdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links.

Trim removal and wiring don't look too daunting, but I'm concerned about breaking into the cameras and sensors box. I'll check with my local dealer and see if they can install one.

Worst case maybe a battery-powered mirror will do.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
OK, had a little look today. I can can confirm that the mirror enclosure does not contain a booby trap and can be taken off quite safely! Get your finger inside the hole where the mirror goes through and pull the right side off (read that as the smaller of the two and may be on the left on LHD vehicles).

This is what the clam shells look like on the inside

I'm pleased to report that it's the normal tapered block mirror mount. Just slacken the torx 20 screw

Now you can see that wedge mount

Your bog standard Gentex mirror will fit on that. I will get round to buying a mirror and then show how to pick up a power supply. At the moment I'm just in the process of getting geared up with winter tyres so the mirror can wait.

Reactions: 1362

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Thanks for the write up. Hard to tell from the pics, but were there available power connections, or are you thinking of splicing in somewhere?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the write up. Hard to tell from the pics, but were there available power connections, or are you thinking of splicing in somewhere?
Haha, well. The proper CX5 kit comes with a plug that piggy backs into a 12 pin connecter at the bottom of the A pillar. However, if you zoom into the attached picture from my camera install, you will see that the CX3 loom has a 14 pin connector. You will also see a purple wire which if it follows the trend of other purple wires, should be an accessory (1st ignition position) feed. All I was going to do was to get my meter and see what powers up then find it again either in that mirror enclosure or in the roof light. If push comes to shove and I can’t find it, I’ll find a way into that feed in the 14 pin plug. No doubt Mazda will release a proper mirror kit for the CX3 at some stage but I would expect it to be circa $179-199. The Gentex mirrors on Amazon are much cheaper but are geared up for splicing. Some people might prefer the plug (I would through choice) but not for the best part of $100.

Here is the picture;

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anchorman. Thank you for all the great write ups in this forum. Is there anything you haven't taken apart yet on it? :)
Medcenter Mazda in AL sells the mirror for the CX-3. Have asked then how many pins the connector has on it. Might be a direct fit. From your pics, I should be able to add the mirror with Homelink no problem. If nothing else, an eBay mirror. Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Anchorman. Thank you for all the groups eat write ups in this forum. Is there anything you haven't taken apart yet on it? :)
Medcenter Mazda in AL sells the mirror for the CX-3. Have asked then how many pins the connector has on it. Might be a direct fit. From your pics, I should be able to add the mirror with Homelink no problem. If nothing else, an eBay mirror. Thank you again.
First of all, respect for your time in the USN.

I've not had the engine and gearbox out but if they get in the way of one of my little projects, they'll have to go ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had an Auto-dimming mirror installed before I took delivery of the car and I was not given the user's manual. Does anyone have an address where the manual can be downloaded? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts