Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too bad that the CX-3 won't have Carplay when it is released in the US.

My dealer says it won't be available. Apple lists Mazda as a Carplay partner.

Does anyone know if Carplay will be a feature that can be added down the road?

Hopefully the hardware is correct and in place to support this and that Apple and Mazda simply need to come to an agreement to release this.

What are the chances of my '16 CX-3 supporting Carplay in the near future?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Limited at best. CarPlay reportedly requires some sort of hardware/chip add-on.

Mazda
'S stock answer to CarPlay and Androud Auto inquiries for 2916 releases is that they're "investigating" them.

I personally think we'll see these on 2017 models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some folks on the Mazda 3 forum (same infotainment system) state that it may be included in the next major release of the CMU (v6.0) and that the update is due around September, however it's only speculations at best for the moment.

That having been said, I too was all giddy about CarPlay and Mazda being a partner, but after having seen it in action in another car brand, there's not much there that the infotainment system does not do better already. Granted, short in the SMS section and Miri instead of Siri (that's how I call Mazda's Siri :D), but Apple Maps suck compared to the onboard Nav, plus you need to hack and re-enable wi-fi to tether to your phone before it will work. For me, the only interesting CarPlay app was Spotify, but then again, hack and tether. No pinch or swipe for zoom and pan, can only use the arrows and +/-, presumably for compatibility with a larger manufacturer base.

In short, yes it should be available already, but in the end, meh. My $0.02

- Ben

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, good points.

The appeal for me with CarPlay is my assumption that it will grow and improve over time and get frequently updated as other infotainment systems do not. Every new iPhone (or android) is a ICE hardware upgrade. My MINI is stuck with 2010 infotainment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Limited at best. CarPlay reportedly requires some sort of hardware/chip add-on.

Mazda
'S stock answer to CarPlay and Androud Auto inquiries for 2916 releases is that they're "investigating" them.

I personally think we'll see these on 2017 models.
Are these upgrades that might be made available, either oem or aftermarket? Might it be as simple as swapping black ice boxes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some folks on the Mazda 3 forum (same infotainment system) state that it may be included in the next major release of the CMU (v6.0) and that the update is due around September, however it's only speculations at best for the moment.
Is the CMU hardware or software? If available in sept., would it ship with cars ordered now?

Surely, they'd be promoting it now if it was out in sept.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are these upgrades that might be made available, either oem or aftermarket? Might it be as simple as swapping black ice boxes?
I highly doubt it. It's not mentioned in the U.S. 2016 CX-3 and 2016 Mazda3 full brochures though everything else like Pandora and Aha are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
CarPlay and Android auto are complete operating systems unto themselves. Upgrading from 5.x to 6.0 and it changing operating systems is like saying Upgrading from OSX 10.10 to 10.11 makes your macbook a Windows10 laptop.

Well, that's not exactly upgrading from 10.10 to 10.11, is it?

Semantics aside, if Mazda re-imaged the entire system to a different OS, that would pretty much suck. OpenCar is at least OS agnostic (being based on Linux). If the app supports remote controlling, you can basically write a car app for it in HTML 5. If they switch to CarPlay Android users as SOL. If they switch to Android Auto, iPhone users are SOL.

At that point screw the entertainment system OS alltogether. Give me MHL and mirrorlink and I can have my mobile phone's screen on the dash and even control it via the touchscreen, and all I need is an HDMI cable to connect the two. Then I can use Android or iPhones or even Windows phone, just as long as it supports video out via the USB port (MHL).

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is clearly not true, since several carmakers support CarPlay AND AndroidAuto. (Example : Skoda Superb)

Think it is safe to assume they are not running multiple OS'es.

CarPlay and AndroidAuto are integration standards. If mazda infotainment will support it solely by upgrading software, is another matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Android Auto

Any update on Android Auto for the 2016 models??? I have seen some youtube videos where people install it on their own. Sometimes "Bricking" their systems, other having success. Has anyone installed Android Auto in their Cx-3's?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I did install it, it is working very well. Not perfect mind you and there are some issues but it does work for what I need it for.

If you decide to install it, make sure your infotainment system is on the latest version, which is version 55 I believe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dumb question - can you still use your car's inbuilt GPS? Just thinking of situations when you have no mobile internet access.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, Android Auto is simply an app that shows up in the Applications list on the infotainment screen.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts