Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member :)
Just wondering if anyone's tried something a bit more durable than the recommended 0W-20?
Also, are there any Used Oil Analyses posted here?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by more durable. The recommended 0W-20 is a full synthetic oil that has far more lifespan than any dino oil I've used previously.

Personally, I wouldn't stray away from the manufacturers recommendation as it might cause warranty issues down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Malks, thanks for the info! Sorry, I should've been a bit more specific. Due to the general nature of high compression DI engines, and the fact that the Owner's Manual recommends a different oil outside of North America, I was wondering about oils with more durable HT/HS ratings and more robust additive packages. I found one US dealer [ janesvillemazda.com/blog/2019-mazda-cx-3-recommended-oil-viscosity-numbers/ ] that suggests a very wide range of oils is permissible in the CX-3, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here is using anything other than 0W-20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Malks.
"More durable" to me means a higher HT/HS rating and more robust additive package.
A dealer in WI (Gordie Boucher Mazda of Janesville) lists eight different oils usable in the CX-3, from 0W-20 to 10W-50, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone here is using anything different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It surprises me that a Mazda Dealer is suggesting oil viscosities other than what is listed in the manual by the manufacturer. I'm satisfied to just use the weight that is printed on the oil cap and manual.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My CX has had Idemitsu or Castrol Edge in 0w-20 since new. Depending what dealer I use. Both are recommended.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
So.... apparently my reply wasn't approved by the admin?
Sorry, the automated spam control doesn't like it when very new members start posting links and the meatsack moderators were asleep at the wheel.

Approved now.

For the subject at hand:

I don't think anybody has done a solid UOA study on the CX-3 but there's got to be people who have done it on the other vehicles that use the same 2L SkyActiv engine. May want to check Mazda3Revolution, Miata.net, or others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, new member :)
Just wondering if anyone's tried something a bit more durable than the recommended 0W-20?
Also, are there any Used Oil Analyses posted here?
Just had my first oil changed ,
Used : Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
It runs so smoothly now .. I will stick with Mazda recommended .. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, the automated spam control doesn't like it when very new members start posting links and the meatsack moderators were asleep at the wheel.

Approved now.

For the subject at hand:

I don't think anybody has done a solid UOA study on the CX-3 but there's got to be people who have done it on the other vehicles that use the same 2L SkyActiv engine. May want to check Mazda3Revolution, Miata.net, or others.
:laugh: Thanks NotAPreppie.
I didn't think about this engine being used in other models. Do you know if 0W-20 is also recommended for this engine in other models? (The fact that Gordie Boucher Mazda recommends everything from 0W-20 to 10W-50 makes me think Mazda might have different model-specific and location-specific recommendations for the exact same engine?)

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
I know for certain that Mazda recommends (in their owner's manuals) their own brand of high-moly 0w-20 oil for the 2.0L SkyActiv variants of the CX-3, Mazda3, and MX-5. I doubt it's any different for the 2.5L or for the 2.0L in any other Mazda.

The molybdenum is an extreme pressure lubricant that is gaining popularity because it helps prevent wear without worrying about the issues of thicker oils (energy loss due to viscosity and degradation due to shearing).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mazda Europe state this in the Owner Manual for the Skyactiv-G 2.0L engine :-

Recommended Oils

Mazda Original Oil Supra 0W-20
Mazda Original Oil Ultra 5W-30

Alternative Oil Quality

API SN or ACEA A5/B5, either 0W-20 or 5W-30

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know for certain that Mazda recommends (in their owner's manuals) their own brand of high-moly 0w-20 oil for the 2.0L SkyActiv variants of the CX-3, Mazda3, and MX-5. I doubt it's any different for the 2.5L or for the 2.0L in any other Mazda.

The molybdenum is an extreme pressure lubricant that is gaining popularity because it helps prevent wear without worrying about the issues of thicker oils (energy loss due to viscosity and degradation due to shearing).
Okay, thanks. I believe more oil makers are adding moly to compensate for the lower levels of ZDDP being used? The engine parts are really best protected when those parts are physically separated by an actual film of oil. Unfortunately all EP additives only come into play during metal-to-metal contact when the oil film has been breached. So I'd really prefer to use something with better film strength than rely on EP compounds if I can.

·
Registered
451 Posts

Wow! I used to use "Molyslip" in the 50s. It was very popular in those days as an oil additive reduce friction. I have not seen it around since those days. Where can you get it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mazda Europe state this in the Owner Manual for the Skyactiv-G 2.0L engine :-

Recommended Oils

Mazda Original Oil Supra 0W-20
Mazda Original Oil Ultra 5W-30

Alternative Oil Quality

API SN or ACEA A5/B5, either 0W-20 or 5W-30
Thanks st3v3cx-3. I did find this online Mazda3 Owner's Manual for Arabia, which lists European oil quality specs. Other than going directly to a Mazda dealer, it seems that the Supra 0W-20 and Ultra 5W-30 are only available from European resellers? Interestingly, the Web OM also lists ACEA A3/A5. I thought the viscosity (and additive?) requirements were at odds between those two specs? Over here in the US I always see either A1/A5 or A3/B3/B4 listed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts