Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
Not that I'm aware of but I'm very intrigued now...

·
Registered
143 Posts
This has my interest. I was going to order the one from the UK (circa $180), but after looking at this one, I'd like to know more before deciding. Price certainly looks good, but maybe it is too good. Sometimes pictures can be deceiving and the actual product when delivered could differ a bit. That's why I'd like to hear from someone who actually purchased and installed one of these first (rather than throw away $50).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Also interested as well but I can already make a few observations to play devils advocate against the hype of this. Slider function does not seem to have a way to fix its position (ie securing it from moving forward or back) and as such this can be a pro or a con depending on how tight the tracks are. Best case- its really tight and stays in place but you also cant move it. Worst case- it really loose and slides forward and back while youre driving or while your arm is on it. Given my history with random ebay parts I am skeptical of its quality but thats always up in the air with these kinds of things. My other concern would be he cushion material. I was looking around at alot of its copycat postings and seems highly likely that it is foam filled. Like alot of the neck pillows that are foam filled they want it to be soft and "comfortable" but if thats the case with this it will probably be dented alot worse than the oem handrest which some people have reported issues with. Part of me wants to buy it but the chrome cupholder and ashtray makes it feel too tacky like its trying too hard to advertise so called 'features'.

Also reach around cup holder.. lol this is definitely something only rear passengers will ever even consider using because as I have learned from my saturn sky, anything behind your elbow is the worst thing to reach while driving.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also interested as well but I can already make a few observations to play devils advocate against the hype of this. Slider function does not seem to have a way to fix its position (ie securing it from moving forward or back) and as such this can be a pro or a con depending on how tight the tracks are. Best case- its really tight and stays in place but you also cant move it. Worst case- it really loose and slides forward and back while youre driving or while your arm is on it. Given my history with random ebay parts I am skeptical of its quality but thats always up in the air with these kinds of things. My other concern would be he cushion material. I was looking around at alot of its copycat postings and seems highly likely that it is foam filled. Like alot of the neck pillows that are foam filled they want it to be soft and "comfortable" but if thats the case with this it will probably be dented alot worse than the oem handrest which some people have reported issues with. Part of me wants to buy it but the chrome cupholder and ashtray makes it feel too tacky like its trying too hard to advertise so called 'features'.

Also reach around cup holder.. lol this is definitely something only rear passengers will ever even consider using because as I have learned from my saturn sky, anything behind your elbow is the worst thing to reach while driving.
Hmmm. I always wished someone would come up with a slider for the armrest. It seemed like the most logical solution.
For myself anyway, I have my seat fairly pushed back so it would work fine.
Apart from the above by Sly, I would be concerned, however, of how close that the base comes to the rear of the 2 stock cup holders.
Seeing as it doesn't seem to fully tilt up, that might be a cup holder turned obsolete.
Perhaps soon some buyer on ebay will post an actual CX-3 photo of it installed...fingers crossed

·
Registered
511 Posts
I may pick this up and screw it onto the base in the most rear position even if it covers 1 cup holder, assuming I can find something to turn 1 cup holder into 2 raised ones (it would be over the ebrake) like an adapter of some sort. Got the idea after using a loaner cx-5 this morning and it would solve the armrest/cupholder issue we all experience lol. Off to ebay again it seems.
Only concern is how much the armrest would extend in the back seat area. Its already cramped there and further making it worse might not be the best idea :/

·
Registered
511 Posts
I feel like the pictures are misleading..
Picture 2(?) shows the "make sure look like this" mazda install area, look at the short distance between the inner part of the square(?) to the cup holder. Looks like its just about an inch +.

Picture 4(?) shows the 3 parts where you can see the insert/plug piece (upper right) and a much larger distance lip than the space to the cup holder seen prior.

Picture 5 the installation instructions have it just coming close to the cup holder. Gonna assume this isnt the mazda cx3 even though it looks like it at first. I think this is where many of us are looking at and thinking it will retain both cup holders or at least 1 and part of the second. By the looks of it and putting the measurements together its going to take both out of play even when pulled back.

Im going to have to retract my interest now lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
Found a video of someone installing it with a modified a base for our car. Although his base is alot slimmer it shows how massive the armrest actually is. Hope this helps clear any questions for interested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've purchased one. I'll let y'all know once I get and install. However, talk about long shipping times. Could be a month!

Reactions: PandaG

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
The joy of shipping direct from where it fell off the back of a truck in China.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I feel like the pictures are misleading..
Picture 2(?) shows the "make sure look like this" mazda install area, look at the short distance between the inner part of the square(?) to the cup holder. Looks like its just about an inch +.

Picture 4(?) shows the 3 parts where you can see the insert/plug piece (upper right) and a much larger distance lip than the space to the cup holder seen prior.

Picture 5 the installation instructions have it just coming close to the cup holder. Gonna assume this isnt the mazda cx3 even though it looks like it at first. I think this is where many of us are looking at and thinking it will retain both cup holders or at least 1 and part of the second. By the looks of it and putting the measurements together its going to take both out of play even when pulled back.

Im going to have to retract my interest now lol
Ya that was my initial concern as well. The install photo with the cream interior is definitely not a CX3, neither are any of the "installed" photos where a cup holder is not an issue lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, it arrived. I must say it's not a bad armrest. You can tell it's not top quality but it's not bad. It was a snap to install. Below are some pictures. It does take up both cup holders. You might be able to fit a can of something in the first cup holder but you are not getting any thing bigger.

I'm modded mine already. I put a hinge on it so I can lift it up if I want to use the cup holders. If I had no place to put my large sugar-free vanilla ice coffee that car would be virtually no good to me.

Here's some pics. BTW, it's not dirty, it's just my stupid camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
So, it arrived. I must say it's not a bad armrest. You can tell it's not top quality but it's not bad. It was a snap to install. Below are some pictures. It does take up both cup holders. You might be able to fit a can of something in the first cup holder but you are not getting any thing bigger.

I'm modded mine already. I put a hinge on it so I can lift it up if I want to use the cup holders. If I had no place to put my large sugar-free vanilla ice coffee that car would be virtually no good to me.

Here's some pics. BTW, it's not dirty, it's just my stupid camera.
Thanks for the photos!! So when you put the hinge on, you eliminate the slide function I'm assuming?
Also, when you get time, could you please post a couple photos of the cup holders close up and backed away?. Would love to see the "actual" space.
I too do not want to be carrying my Vanilla Iced Coffee between my legs lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the photos!! So when you put the hinge on, you eliminate the slide function I'm assuming?
Also, when you get time, could you please post a couple photos of the cup holders close up and backed away?. Would love to see the "actual" space.
I too do not want to be carrying my Vanilla Iced Coffee between my legs lol.
The hinge eliminates that option to take the armrest completely out. You can still slide the top of the arm rest out to make it a bit longer if you want.

The last pic that shows the guides that just hold the armrest in place, that is not the slide that makes that armrest get longer or shorter.

Sure, I will take a pictures tonight of the cup holders tonight.

Reactions: PandaG

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
Did you have the OE armrest before? If so, how does it compare with that in terms of stability and noise?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you have the OE armrest before? If so, how does it compare with that in terms of stability and noise?
No, I did not have the OE armrest before. This is the first. It is stable and have not heard any noise from it yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@PandaG here are some pics with the room of the cup holder. The 1st is the armrest in regular position, 2nd is with the armrest extended, 3rd is with it flipped back using the hinge mod.

Attachments

Reactions: Brigitte

·
Registered
218 Posts
@PandaG here are some pics with the room of the cup holder. The 1st is the armrest in regular position, 2nd is with the armrest extended, 3rd is with it flipped back using the hinge mod.
Ahhh yes. That last photo of the armrest up and showing the base is exactly what I was curious about.
Thanks for posting as I'm sure it helps others here as well!
Basically it's trading off bevy's for storage.
Again, good call on the hinge though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts