Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting wheel spacers for my cx3 but I'm curious to know if anyone is currently running any?

If you are:

What brand?

How many mm?

Any issues with them?

Pictures?

Thanks in advanced!

· Premium Member
549 Posts
This is an extreme case of offset being too low to begin with and then he added spacers:
http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/appearance-body/11057-fender-flare-plastic-trims.html

What are you trying to accomplish?

Worse ride and handling? Yah, they can do that.
More stress on suspension components? Yup, good for that, too.
HellaFlush or poke? They will get the job done.

The best way to accomplish the above tasks would be to purchase wheels with the offset you're looking for. At least that way you don't have to worry about a separate object at each corner.

· Registered
134 Posts
This is an extreme case of offset being too low to begin with and then he added spacers:
http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/appearance-body/11057-fender-flare-plastic-trims.html

The best way to accomplish the above tasks would be to purchase wheels with the offset you're looking for. At least that way you don't have to worry about a separate object at each corner.
Ride and handling can be, and is, only better.
If you didnt ever drove car with spacers and owned it for longer time then dont speak about durability od parts, suspension and all because with normal use and normal dimendion of spacers you dont harm your car.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Ride and handling can be, and is, only better.
If you didnt ever drove car with spacers and owned it for longer time then dont speak about durability od parts, suspension and all because with normal use and normal dimendion of spacers you dont harm your car.
Wow, you're mighty defensive.

I have done my share of research on suspension modifications and implemented changes to my RX-8 for autocross and track driving. However, even if I hadn't ever heard of scrub radius or unsprung weight, I'd still understand that a longer lever arm generates more force at the pivot. Spacers push the wheels farther out which creates a longer lever arm.

I don't have a problem with purely cosmetic changes to a car. That said, don't sit there and tell me that altering the scrub radius or increasing unsprung weight won't have a negative impact on comfort/handling because your highly calibrated butt-dyno says so.

I'm not saying that a car will instantly break or will be unforgivably uncomfortable but an owner should know what they are getting into. It will have an impact on wear and handling during emergency avoidance. If people are willing to take that risk, that's fine but they need to know about it in order to make an informed decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

https://books.google.dk/books?id=rh...l=da#v=onepage&q=wheel spacers not to&f=false

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html

Reactions: Snoogie

· Registered
33 Posts

Yay! I got featured as the "Bad Example" of what not to do! >:) But honestly, I did that to my fender trim pieces more from larger size tires than from the spacers and offset of the rims. I had stock tires on the rims before and I had no issues. I went with more aggressive tire size and that was the cause of it.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Yay! I got featured as the "Bad Example" of what not to do! >:) But honestly, I did that to my fender trim pieces more from larger size tires than from the spacers and offset of the rims. I had stock tires on the rims before and I had no issues. I went with more aggressive tire size and that was the cause of it.
I'd be willing to bet you could have kept that tire size if you just didn't have them poking out of the wheel arch.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Its the combination of both.
Your upsized wheels were only 0.7" larger in radius. There's a ton of space in the wheel well even just a half inch inward from the arch. Your wheels were almost 3" further out from stock :eek:.

Changing to smaller diameter wheels but leaving them poked out will only work until you hit a big enough bump to compress the suspension an extra 0.7". Moving the wheels back in a few inches would probably give you enough space for the larger tires even at full compression.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

· Registered
33 Posts
Your upsized wheels were only 0.7" larger in radius. There's a ton of space in the wheel well even just a half inch inward from the arch. Your wheels were almost 3" further out from stock :eek:.

Changing to smaller diameter wheels but leaving them poked out will only work until you hit a big enough bump to compress the suspension an extra 0.7". Moving the wheels back in a few inches would probably give you enough space for the larger tires even at full compression.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You are not factoring in the thread depths of the A/T tires. Listen man, I get it. I am not trying to argue with you. You made your point. Yes, I put on wheels that aren't made for our car and tires that are too big. They are not factory specs and will the longevity of the suspension components on the car suffer? Probably. But I have taken the car on long trips on the highway going 65+. I haven't had any issues. I also know that I won't be pushing my car to the limits as if it was on the factory wheels/tires. I am not planning on making turns at 60+mph.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
You are not factoring in the thread depths of the A/T tires. Listen man, I get it. I am not trying to argue with you. You made your point. Yes, I put on wheels that aren't made for our car and tires that are too big. They are not factory specs and will the longevity of the suspension components on the car suffer? Probably. But I have taken the car on long trips on the highway going 65+. I haven't had any issues. I also know that I won't be pushing my car to the limits as if it was on the factory wheels/tires. I am not planning on making turns at 60+mph.
Tread depth is usually included in overall diameter.

My point isn't that you're ruining your car. I'm merely trying to ensure that people finding this later have access to accurate info when they're making their own decisions.

· Registered
33 Posts
The OP was asking about running spacers. So are you saying that ALL and ANY SIZE SPACERS are bad? Yes, there is no need to go as extreme as mine. But surely, there should be some spacers that are "SAFE" to run. You just automatically assume he wants to spacers like my specs and used my car as a "BAD EXAMPLE" and made me the *******. Thanks!

· Premium Member
549 Posts
The OP was asking about running spacers. So are you saying that ALL and ANY SIZE SPACERS are bad? Yes, there is no need to go as extreme as mine. But surely, there should be some spacers that are "SAFE" to run. You just automatically assume he wants to spacers like my specs and used my car as a "BAD EXAMPLE" and made me the *******. Thanks!
The answer to your first question is, "It depends on what you are trying to accomplish."

Safe isn't a binary state. We can say that it is safer to not use spacers but I don't think it's reasonable to say that it is unsafe to use them. There isn't one spacer thickness that is safe and another that isn't; merely increasing risk.

I held up your example because it's pretty much the only one I've seen on here and you had first-hand experience. OP asked for first-hand experience. I figured he could ask you about your experience.

Your defensiveness is puzzling to me. I never said it was a bad example; those were your words.

· Registered
33 Posts
The answer to your first question is, "It depends on what you are trying to accomplish."

Safe isn't a binary state. We can say that it is safer to not use spacers but I don't think it's reasonable to say that it is unsafe to use them. There isn't one spacer thickness that is safe and another that isn't; merely increasing risk.

I held up your example because it's pretty much the only one I've seen on here and you had first-hand experience. OP asked for first-hand experience. I figured he could ask you about your experience.

Your defensiveness is puzzling to me. I never said it was a bad example; those were your words.
He's been to my page already and commented so he's seen my page. If he wants to ask me about my setup, he could ask. Strictly speaking from "first-hand" experience, have you ran spacers on your car? I'm getting "defensive" because you are talking down to us like we are idiots. Yea, you did your research. So what? If you didn't run spacers, then don't comment! Simple. I hate know-it-all people like you, who talks down to people like we are idiots.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
If it will make you feel better, I can tell you that I have run spacers on my RX-8 as an experiment. It made little difference on smooth asphalt but was noticeably worse when autocrossing on bumpier surfaces (like old USAF concrete).

I've never run spacers on my CX-3 but anecdote isn't evidence so what does it matter?

I'm sorry that you don't accept explanations rooted in basic physics principles. And I'm sorry you feel that statements made with facts to back them are condescending and insulting to you.

I should have stopped replying to you here at post 9 or 11. If you want to continue this discussion, please feel free to PM me.

· Registered
134 Posts
Preppie said in first post if you use spacers that you ruin your car, and then he say use lover offset rims. Whats the difference exept weight!?

As I said, I use spacers, ride quality is good and there is no negative effects. If you use normal dimensions as i did you are ok. Car looks much better and ride is the same.

Preppie, dont argue any more, we all know what you were trying to say.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Preppie said in first post if you use spacers that you ruin your car, and then he say use lover offset rims. Whats the difference exept weight!?

As I said, I use spacers, ride quality is good and there is no negative effects. If you use normal dimensions as i did you are ok. Car looks much better and ride is the same.

Preppie, dont argue any more, we all know what you were trying to say.
Deleted.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys I appreciate the input from both sides no reason to argue....some people are for using spacers others aren't.

I've heard the negatives and such before. I just wanted to hear what type of set ups people were running on their CX3s and if it changed anything regarding handling or ride quality.

Nik007 I found the pictures in the other post of your CX3 with spacers and that's exactly what I was looking for. If I can't decide on new wheels I'll probably order the same ones you have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.