Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I tried. Mazda Australia lists ground clearance as 155mm (6.1 inches) with a 75k driver aboard.

Of course U.S. Specs may vary so I looked at the U.S. specs for the CX-5 vs the Aussie version. 2.5l auto fwd. Aust. 150mm (5.9") U.S. 8.5" Damn! That's a BIG difference. AH! not so fast.... Overall height for the Aussie is 1710mm (67")
for the American version 65.7" So the us version is 1.3 shorter while providing an extra 2.6" of ground clearance. HUH?

To get the truth you may have to crawl under it with a tape measure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well even if it is between 155 and 160 mm, my Vibe sits at about 157 mm (6.2 in). Although I think that may be unloaded clearance. So it's probably about the same. I would have preferred a little higher as I have scraped the chin from time to time. My old 2003 Vibe had about 206 mm (8.1 in) and that never had trouble. Ah well. At least it's not lower than that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mazda should do deep water testing similar to what Jeep did with their Renegade.
Would be a great way to show how good the CX-3 is at doing 'other things'

·
Registered
3 Posts
So what exactly does deep water testing test for? How deep the car can enter water before shutting off? Seems to be more of a test for Jeeps and Defenders with snorkels lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So what exactly does deep water testing test for? How deep the car can enter water before shutting off? Seems to be more of a test for Jeeps and Defenders with snorkels lol.
It's a good way to check for cabin leaks :D

But putting a CX-3 through that is going to be rare.

Mostly its going to be jeep guys doing this

·
Registered
122 Posts
The ground clearance is more for looks that it is for capabilities. Mazda is not trying to out-Jeep Jeep. Why demonstarte the off road ability of the CX3 when that might just make it look worse than competitors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't care much for off-road capabilities, but we do get a healthy amount of snow up here in Michigan. Even my Vibe having 6.2 inches (~157 mm) often isn't enough. Plus I've still scraped its chin on some steep driveways. I was hoping the CX-3 would be better, but that doesn't seem like the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried. Mazda Australia lists ground clearance as 155mm (6.1 inches) with a 75k driver aboard.

Of course U.S. Specs may vary so I looked at the U.S. specs for the CX-5 vs the Aussie version. 2.5l auto fwd. Aust. 150mm (5.9") U.S. 8.5" Damn! That's a BIG difference. AH! not so fast.... Overall height for the Aussie is 1710mm (67")
for the American version 65.7" So the us version is 1.3 shorter while providing an extra 2.6" of ground clearance. HUH?

To get the truth you may have to crawl under it with a tape measure.
That is funny, the last 2 times I went for a test drive, I carried a tape measure with me. Should we assume that the chin in front is the lowest point of clearance on the vehicle?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't care much for off-road capabilities, but we do get a healthy amount of snow up here in Michigan. Even my Vibe having 6.2 inches (~157 mm) often isn't enough. Plus I've still scraped its chin on some steep driveways. I was hoping the CX-3 would be better, but that doesn't seem like the case.
It might even be good to know when it comes to regular city driving and those situations where you might be too close to something to the point you think you might scrape... like a curb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My brother bought a new Mazda 3 in 2008 , on my recommendation, based particularly on the strength of the power train. It has been a good car for him except for the significant damages to the chin on even moderately high curbs. This has not been a problem for my 2004 Focus ZTS. At the time, I thought these cars were similar mechanically as well as dimensionally. These considerations are most important when Utility is a function for a vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Look no more, the chin IS the lowest point. Took the CX-3 Touring to the taco bus and coming out of a different exit the road sat at much lower level, after a dip.
Scraped the front lip a bit but nothing else.
So it was definitely the lowest point.
Good part is, they were made for it so won't break off like some fiberglass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts