Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Anchorman, you stated you prefer bulbs to LEDs for fade out. I was ready to purchase the CX5 LED kit for bulb swap. Please expand in your preference for bulbs in a light fading application.
Yes of course. The early or cheaper LEDs didn't fade, they just collapsed at a certain tiny voltage and went straight out. However, it looks like DJ9999 has sourced bulbs with the necessary electronics to let them fade. I have seen them but didn't realise that they were readily available so I have to eat humble pie on that one. However, I do find pure white LEDs a bit harsh for interior lighting so until they do soft white, I wouldn't change mine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
No pie eating necessary. I've had older LEDs that were "jerky" to dim and therefore undesirable. I highly dislike the colder white colour temps of LEDs when people use them in interiors of homes. For some reason I don't mind them in vehicles. I'll see if I can get a video on here of them in action.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks Anchorman! I may reside in the 'If it's not broke, don't fix it' camp on this one. Waiting and watching.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I went into the Mazda dealer today to install the Welcome Illumination and the missing alloy foot rest and $300+ (ouch) later I am very impressed with the quality of work. Wiring is well hidden and lighting comes on as you open the door and also when you turn off the ignition. They wired it so it is independent of the map and dome lights so it is easy on the eyes at night time. As you can see with the pictures below the Australian genuine kits comes with blue lighting and not white or red like in some other countries.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the dealer put it in my 2017 GT when I bought it. It comes with a tiny toggle switch installed into the left lower dash area to optionally turn them off if you so choose. They also light the floor area at night with the main light control.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It looks nice. But do you not find the extra illumination of the pedals distracting?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It looks nice. But do you not find the extra illumination of the pedals distracting?
Geezer, not distracting at all, at least for me. The led white is not as intrusive as one would think, even in pitch darkness. That being said, I did turn off the floor illumination with the toggle switch that comes with the installation package (for now). The floor lights still function as door-open welcome lights, so the switch only controls if you want the floor illumination on whenever the exterior lights are on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the dealer put it in my 2017 GT when I bought it. It comes with a tiny toggle switch installed into the left lower dash area to optionally turn them off if you so choose. They also light the floor area at night with the main light control.
Purchased same vehicle for my daughter and it has same toggle. How does this work? What exactly does it do?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts