Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting the interior lightning kit and was wondering if anyone got it yet? Are all areas, driver, front and rear passenger sets, illuminated? Can you change colors?

Interested to see if it's worth the money. My dealer gave me a quote and I always thought was cool to have interior illumination other than the dash lights.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I would run a wire down from the map light to a couple of bulb holders under the dash. Bulbs fade out better than LEDs which is why current dome and map lights won’t get modded. The floor lights could be any colour and fade out too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It seemed really expensive for what it is as I believe its only on as "welcome lighting". I had a 2010 GTI with ambient footwell light. I'd like to replicate that. I may tap into a console light and run a couple small flexible self-mount LED strips under the passenger and drivers side dash.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The interior lighting kit retails for $295 USD. That is a lot for some welcome lights that are only used briefly.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Reactions: Sarah

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just want to let you guys know I have it on mine. I will see it tonight but the lights are white. I hope I can change them. Also I think it's just the driver and passenger footwell. IMO I just got robbed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just want to let you guys know I have it on mine. I will see it tonight but the lights are white. I hope I can change them. Also I think it's just the driver and passenger footwell. IMO I just got robbed.
That does not seem to be right. I have ordered the welcome illumination kit and I expect the lighting to be blue as per the marketing material for the product. I really can't see the point in having white lights down there.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
That does not seem to be right. I have ordered the welcome illumination kit and I expect the lighting to be blue as per the marketing material for the product. I really can't see the point in having white lights down there.
In the UK, the lighting is white.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting that different countries have different light colors. Anchorman I can see why you are saying something is wrong with us to get the Mazda illumination kit as I agree it is ridiculously marked up. In Australia Mazda is peddling them for around $250 AUD installed. For a price comparison I went down to the local auto supplies shop and the guy quoted me $40 for the lights and $60 to install them so $100 tops. So Mazda really is taking customers for a ride with mark up of 100% to 200%. However I think some of us might worry about the warranty if we start doing mods with the electrics and something goes wrong Mazda may refuse to pay to fix our CX-3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought the same thing. Although the white makes sense because everything in the car is white. It's also not that bright. I hope yours is different but just wanted to let you know my experience.

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to my local dealer you can get Red, White or Blue just not all at once :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Anchorman, do you have a recommended power source? As I mentioned earlier, I think I'll install my own undermount LED strips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are two parts to this kit, one is the LED package the other is the extension kit for the wiring loom C850-V7-055A might be a good way to tap into the power?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am going to add my own LED footwell lights. Already have the tiny LEDs and a holding cup for them. Used them for my truck. On the truck I ran it off the accessory plug/power port. I tried last night to get access to the plug next to the USB ports but only could get the side panels, gear shift cover off. Could not see a way to pull that panel off. I want to use something that is key on power. Will look at it again today.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am going to add my own LED footwell lights. Already have the tiny LEDs and a holding cup for them. Used them for my truck. On the truck I ran it off the accessory plug/power port. I tried last night to get access to the plug next to the USB ports but only could get the side panels, gear shift cover off. Could not see a way to pull that panel off. I want to use something that is key on power. Will look at it again today.
That is probably the safest option to hook it up to the accessories plugs... no need to worry about voiding your warranty by playing around with the cars electrics yourself. Although the direct install method to the fuse box panel would look more cleaner and professional; your option is a viable alternative.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would run a wire down from the map light to a couple of bulb holders under the dash. Bulbs fade out better than LEDs which is why current dome and map lights won’t get modded. The floor lights could be any colour and fade out too.
Anchorman, you stated you prefer bulbs to LEDs for fade out. I was ready to purchase the CX5 LED kit for bulb swap. Please expand in your preference for bulbs in a light fading application.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm pleased with the way my map/dome LEDs fade. Probably the best I've had before.

If I can access the accessory power port I guess I'll use that and have a couple floor LED strips that are always on. I spend a lot of time driving in garages and this would be handy. My only other thought is to tap into the power for the gear selector light as that is on/off with the vehicle lights.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts