Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
timelines as per MY view of Mazda

2015 - An Easy Update
2016 - Built for an easy upgrade
2017 - successfully hacked to allow Android Auto & Apple car play (many really cool apps like old fashion analog look on the screen such as water temp, oil pressure or really almost any sensor on the car - Major firmware update to prevent this.

2018 retrofit

almost traded my 2016 for a 2019 and above came to mind. Then will there be an annual fee later ?

I'll wait and see if they come to their senses and continue to build cars and stop trying to be infotainment experts. - be the first , open it up and let the users build their apps.

/rant

zoom-zoom

·
Registered
745 Posts
I just picked up the components, downloaded the firmware updates and am set to install CP/AA in my 2016 CX-3. The parts cost me $200 USD. I'm not sure if I'll get it done over the weekend but will let you know how it goes. I got the parts at John Kennedy Mazda in Pottstown, PA USA.
Did your purchase(s) include instructions? I assume Mazada also has a TSB or some sort of Service Bulletin to cover proper installation.

·
Registered
445 Posts
timelines as per MY view of Mazda

2015 - An Easy Update
2016 - Built for an easy upgrade
2017 - successfully hacked to allow Android Auto & Apple car play (many really cool apps like old fashion analog look on the screen such as water temp, oil pressure or really almost any sensor on the car - Major firmware update to prevent this.

2018 retrofit

almost traded my 2016 for a 2019 and above came to mind. Then will there be an annual fee later ?

I'll wait and see if they come to their senses and continue to build cars and stop trying to be infotainment experts. - be the first , open it up and let the users build their apps.

/rant

zoom-zoom
That pretty much sums it all up. However I wouldnt hold my breath for them to go back to normal headunits, if anything its going to be poisoned and corrupted like every aspect of technology/media. I wouldnt be surprised if there isnt some low cost always on data miner in the future with a dedicated proprietary internet connection(that you cant access) that feeds you ads into the screen later. Maybe add in some dlc and inapp(in-headunit?) purchases.
>I see your tpms is kicking in frequently, maybe its time for new tires *cue Yokohama banner ad*
>Casually driving by fastfood plaza *mcdonalds ads roll*

Open source platform would be a dream but they would want some way to gain from it and to entice others to keep buying the newest models with "upgrades" (pfft) over the previous years. This is pretty much the reason why I want my warranty to end so I can wire in an aftermarket android headunit and run things without relying on a system that costs an arm and a leg to replace if anything has a fault.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Because Mazda is not Honda or Toyota? :D:D:D
Ah no, it would be helpful to know what components or systems other owners of these vehicles are complaining about before I or someone else invests a considerable amount (for me anyways) of cash and maybe exchanges a wonderfully reliable CX-3 for a new CX-9. Why? Well, In the first three years of owning my Acura MDX (a Honda product), (a $50,000 vehicle), I had to bring it back to the dealer 11 times to replace various interior components (mostly dash and center console) because of defective material and/or assembly. Not to mention the head unit (a $3000 part), the rear shocks, the oil pressure sending unit, and the serpentine belt tensioning pulley (OK, Acura said that was a wear item). I'd rather avoid going thru this crap-ola ever again. That's why.

Thanks for letting me rant (blame my good friend Mr. Daniels).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ah no, it would be helpful to know what components or systems other owners of these vehicles are complaining about before I or someone else invests a considerable amount (for me anyways) of cash and maybe exchanges a wonderfully reliable CX-3 for a new CX-9. Why? Well, In the first three years of owning my Acura MDX (a Honda product), (a $50,000 vehicle), I had to bring it back to the dealer 11 times to replace various interior components (mostly dash and center console) because of defective material and/or assembly. Not to mention the head unit (a $3000 part), the rear shocks, the oil pressure sending unit, and the serpentine belt tensioning pulley (OK, Acura said that was a wear item). I'd rather avoid going thru this crap-ola ever again. That's why.
My point (tongue in cheek) was that in MANY years of reading Consumers Reports I could always tell which vehicle they were going to love... Either a Honda or Toyota. I started depending less on CU and more on Road and Track, Autoweek or Car and Driver to get a better picture of a given vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up the components, downloaded the firmware updates and am set to install CP/AA in my 2016 CX-3. The parts cost me $200 USD. I'm not sure if I'll get it done over the weekend but will let you know how it goes. I got the parts at John Kennedy Mazda in Pottstown, PA USA.
I’d love to hear more in depth about what all you needed to purchase. I bought a ‘19 yesterday and was under the impression no firmware or anything was available yet

·
Registered
142 Posts
My point (tongue in cheek) was that in MANY years of reading Consumers Reports I could always tell which vehicle they were going to love... Either a Honda or Toyota. I started depending less on CU and more on Road and Track, Autoweek or Car and Driver to get a better picture of a given vehicle.
Yeah, I hear ya. I stopped depending on CU auto recommendations many years ago (although I have been a 30-plus-year subscriber). They tend to "love" certain brands, and pan others consistently. I like to go on sites such as Edmunds, KBB, etc. to read current and past owners comments, while looking at MT, C&D, AW, and even CR, for differing test results, point-of-view, driving impressions, pricing structures, stuff like that. Interesting (but not surprising) that CU has downrated Acura, and even removed it's "recommended" tag from the MDX (at least until very recent).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did your purchase(s) include instructions? I assume Mazada also has a TSB or some sort of Service Bulletin to cover proper installation.
There were no instructions. I got the new USB/SD Card slot and new cables.

I tried the install today starting with the firmware update and ran into a problem. I uploaded the failsafe but my reboot file wasn't recognized. Now I have a blank screen, radio stuck on one station and holding Music+Command+Favorites does nothing as far as bringing up anything on the screen - it stays black. Also disconnected the battery but that did nothing. Any suggestions besides taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually spoke with a Mazda service center this weekend (I have a 2018), and the gentlemen told me that CarPlay will not be available retrospectively due to differences in the systems. I was quite unhappy and hope that it is not true considering the statements from Mazda corporate in recent months.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I actually spoke with a Mazda service center this weekend (I have a 2018), and the gentlemen told me that CarPlay will not be available retrospectively due to differences in the systems. I was quite unhappy and hope that it is not true considering the statements from Mazda corporate in recent months.
That is completely incorrect and it flies in the face of public statements made by Mazda corporate outside the USDM. There are a number of reports from people with various Mazda models that it works perfectly.

The upgrade parts are all the same and the firmware only differs based on global geography (US market, EU market, etc).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just had carplay installed by my local dealer here in the U.K. So far a very handy update and works very well integrated with the MZD.

Drew
What year is your CX-3? Did you require a new screen?

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
If your car already has MZD Connect, you only need the USB hub, cable from hub to MZD, and firmware.

If your car has the older TomTom nav system you are screwed.

All CX-3's have MZD Connect.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Drew,
I'm also in the UK with a Dec 2016 (so I guess 2017 model) CX-3. How much did the dealer charge for the work?

Thanks, Rob
MazdaUK (@Mazdaukpr) put out a tweet on 24th Aug saying that "Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is now available as a retro-fit accessory for any Mazda fitted with MZD Connect. A £350 dealer fit option, the price includes kit and installation". I guess the price might be negotiable if you are on good terms with your dealer :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi Rob my dealer charged £299 all in - apparently there’s a £50 discount promotion at the moment

Drew
Roughly $400 to $460 U.S.

Plus tax, disposal fees, oil filter, shop rags, etc. ;-)

41 - 60 of 90 Posts