Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lack of any information from Mazda is frustrating, especially when their competitors have already added these interfaces to their 2016 lineup. The 2016 Honda Accord and Civic both have them. Apparently some people have found in the source code of Mazda Connect software evidence of Android Auto and Carplay, so all that is needed is an update. Mazda could at the very least give us an estimate, but in all fairness their 2016 models should've already included them.

If anyone has any information, please share.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not exactly carplay or andriod auto but Mazda may integrate Ford's Smart Device Link in the future.

Found this on Tech Times:
Smart Device Link, which integrates smartphone apps into vehicles, has already been adopted by Toyota as well as auto suppliers such as QNX and UIE. Fields added that automakers such as Honda, Subaru, and Mazda are also contemplating following suit.
I'd prefer Smart Device Link over either apple or Android specific systems as it seems more universal to me but nothing is for certain until Mazda agrees to get on board with it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even Ford is adding Carplay/Android Auto to their existing models. I know Mazda has signed up for both as well, its just a matter of time. Some news from Mazda would be nice though.

I would assume Ford's Smart Device is very limited to what apps it can use.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my understanding, its should be just a simple software update for many existing 2016 models. I hope the CX-3 is one of those.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This article I found from 2013 gives me hope lol:
New Mazda 3 future-proofs infotainment system

"This means that when system’s like Apple’s iOS In The Car become mainstream, Mazda can potentially reprogram its infotainment system to interact with the new features, instead of leaving it to become obsolete."

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just called Mazda in CA.

They are in the early stages of developing their end of the system and have no projected date for completion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That seems so far away.
How long does it take to go from early to final stages of development? M<aybe they can get help from auto companies who is further along in development.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's disappointing. I didn't think it required that much work on the auto manufacturer's part. Google provides the code and the manufacturer inserts it in their system. Mazda signed up for this over a year ago, the fact they're still in "early stages" doesn't bode well. This is one of those things where Mazda as a smaller company cannot afford to fall behind on, you generally expect the smaller companies to stay ahead of the curve. I would never have thought Hyundai (of all companies) and Honda would implement these new features first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
probably gonna take forever. Look at android for phone. The source code is there but it takes months or never for manufactures to push out the updates. This is coming from phones running android already. That's why you get a nexus :-D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah it is...where'd it come from?

Who's developing it?

It's obviously from Asia, but is Google the source of this video tease?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
LOL looks like someone was able to develop Android for Mazda's system, meanwhile Mazda still has no ETA for doing a much simpler thing and enabling Android Auto. Maybe this guy can help them out.

This guy also made his own version of Android on Mazda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXonA74xlho

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's my understanding, its should be just a simple software update for many existing 2016 models. I hope the CX-3 is one of those.
Apple Carplay requires additional hardware to work, whereas Android Auto is software only. So, if it is allowed/enabled by the OEM, only AA will be "backwards" compatible. As an example, Hyundai allows 2015 Sonata with NAVI owners to update their cars with AA themselves via USB: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/android-auto/index.aspx

·
Registered
327 Posts
If true, does anyone know if the hardware is already there? They already have access to Apple devices for playing and controlling Apple devices via the radio controls which goes beyond simple USB flash drive access. What kind of additional hardware would be needed that can't be done via software? Are we talking about MHL type screen mirroring?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In that case Mazda should at the very least make Android Auto available as an update like Hyundai is doing. I'm hoping their next software update will include Android Auto, I would just like Mazda to give some sort of an ETA. I contacted Mazda USA and they're still saying "no info available at this time".

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If true, does anyone know if the hardware is already there? They already have access to Apple devices for playing and controlling Apple devices via the radio controls which goes beyond simple USB flash drive access. What kind of additional hardware would be needed that can't be done via software? Are we talking about MHL type screen mirroring?
I'm not so sure Carplay requires specific hardware, I'm certain it's just software like Android Auto. I'm trying to find definitive info but so far no luck.

EDIT: Found some info:
"CarPlay requires special, bespoke equipment supporting Apple’s iPhone to be fitted into cars, which means that car manufacturers will have to build it in at the factory."
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/03/what-is-apple-carplay-siri-iphone

I take that as meaning as long as your car's infotainment system supports iPhones, it's good for Carplay.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have a read of this...

Apple fast tracks CarPlay hardware development w/ official MFi specs for head units | 9to5Mac

It says you can interface your CarPlay enabled stereo to an iPhone via sub or lightning but apple requires an authentication chip that ensures only certified devices can gain access to the iPhone.

"Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature."

So just like certain lightning cables can't properly work with iPhones seems CarPlay is the same.

Would possibly mean a chip in the Infotainment system of at least built into the cable that connects to it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just came today in my email...

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

In regards to your inquiry about Android Auto. Mazda is working on adding the feature to the Mazda vehicle but no ETA at this time of when it will be available. I have documented your suggestions and concerns that you would like to see it available this year. I do apologized for the inconvenience this has caused."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at a Mazda dealership today and asked someone there if he knows if/when Android Auto will be available for CX-3. He said that they got the info that it should be included in the new Mazda3, which is coming at the end of 2018. I wonder what it means for other models, but it doesn't look promising :/

1 - 20 of 90 Posts