Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting to see the different options out there. Looks like we get the same engine as Europe (the 1.2 Turbo) but with the option for AWD in auto only. I personally think the hp is too low for the Australian market, but I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I almost held out on buying my CX-3 until this came out in the states. I absolutely love the styling (Especially in that awesome Blue color!) Once again though Toyota missed the boat by not offering the Hybrid version here in the states. I understand the market is different here and the crossovers tend to lend themselves more towards a Turbo engine as opposed to a hybrid drive train. But releasing a 'crossover' with nearly identical engine specs as the CX-3 and HR-V seems well silly, couple that with no AWD option and I honestly wonder what they are thinking?

It's a Toyota so it will likely sell well, but I'll be interested to see what the next generation Juke looks like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For me, the closest competitor was the Honda HR-V; we also test drove the Subaru Crosstrek (which I liked the look of, but the test drive underwhelmed me) and the Buick Encore, which we liked but it seems like it's about 5k more for a very similar vehicle, so that was out, too.

If I hadn't already been stressed (we had a time contraint as we NEEDED to get a new car because some idiot had crashed into my Toyota Yaris and totaled it. At full speed, in broad day light - I am 100% convinced that he was looking at his phone at the time!! Let this be a warning!!) and if I hadn't liked the Mazdas so much instantaneously, I would have done some more comparing between the CX-3 and the HR-V. It's a great car, I really enjoyed driving it and it had some really neat extras, but overall, I'm happy I went with the CX-3.

I just hope those horrendous MD drivers behave and don't ruin it for me!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Similar experience ... no phone but a mother in the back seat distracted a young driver who abruptly took a left turn into my Prius.

My wife had previously exchanged her CR-V for the HR-V ... and I thought about getting another one ... until I drove the CX-3.

Get a dashcam ... won't stop bad things from happening, but at least you'll have documentation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not tied with the CX-3 and CrossTek. Don’t put too much weight in “10 Best Car” etc. lists, too much depends on the particular publication and it’s particular reviewers. Read what is written, not the place a car holds. What are the car strong points? What are it’s weaknesses? Is the reviewer competent? (I am surprised at how many poor reviews are published). What is important to you? Is there really any difference between first and fourth places?

Bottom line, who cares what someone else thinks (except for Honda owners)? What matters is what you think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're right, especially when they are THAT close! At that point, it's really personal preference and requirements - like for us, a roomy second row was of no importance since we never have more than 2 people in the car. What I did like about the Honda, though, was that one could very easily fold up one of the back seats to make a lot of space - that would have been great for transporting bigger stuff or several large grocery bags. I find the Mazda a bit lacking in storage space.
I also REALLY dislike that size of the gas tank - or lack thereof!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I liked my very practical RAV 4, can get alot of years out of a Toyota , that was back then, however, sooner or later you will become tired of i them as their recent trendy designs which in my opinion are too quirky.
Design is in the eye of the beholded what are some of the manufactures trying to acomplish
it it the look od a school bus or a bullet train.
some car designers have dificulty in crafting the rear end of a vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps not a rival to some: bear with me, while I make my case.

We bought our Cx3 in 2015. We're a family of 4, living between the Jura and the Alps, and spend our winter weekends with a roof full of skis and a tiny boot full of stuff.

Now, my girls are teenagers, getting taller, with an army of friends, none are old enough to drive.

Our CX3 is almost 4 years old. My wife does 90% of the driving, (I commute by bike, or scooter). Her must haves were that our car should be smallish, yet sit a little taller than a hatchback, be AWD, AUTO and parking sensors. These requirements and it's pretty looks led us to buy a CX3. It's 5 year warranty expires next year, which is also when the mandatory vehicle examination in Switzerland will be due. We like the CX3 and would be happy to replace it with another.

However, one competitor is...the CX-30 (when it's released). Slightly larger yes. But not as big as a CX5 and ticks all the boxes, including being very pretty (despite the plastic cladding)!

A quick pic I took at its launch in Geneva earlier this month.

·
Banned
7 Posts
However, one competitor is...the CX-30 (when it's released). Slightly larger yes. But not as big as a CX5 and ticks all the boxes, including being very pretty (despite the plastic cladding)!
One problem with trying to classify Mazda crossovers is that they have more models then there are classifications. It does not help when Mazda actually classifies the CX-3 as a compact crossover. With its short wheelbase the CX-3 is more like a sub-compact than a compact. The vehicle itself is comparable to a Mini or Fiat 500 in size and weight but with a larger engine. This makes the CX-3 fairly quick without needing a compressor. Since the CX-3 is actually a sub-compact it is not surprising that a young family like yours will outgrow the vehicle just as your family would any other sub-compact.

When I was young it was common for single guys to have hot cars like Camaros, Mustangs, or GTOs. After they got married and had babies their wives made them trade in their high performance cars for station wagons. Such is life, but be glad your wife will let you get a CX-30 instead of a station wagon or a minivan.

Good luck in your quest for a new car, HIAO.

·
Registered
256 Posts
One problem with trying to classify Mazda crossovers is that they have more models then there are classifications. It does not help when Mazda actually classifies the CX-3 as a compact crossover. With its short wheelbase the CX-3 is more like a sub-compact than a compact. The vehicle itself is comparable to a Mini or Fiat 500 in size and weight but with a larger engine. This makes the CX-3 fairly quick without needing a compressor. Since the CX-3 is actually a sub-compact it is not surprising that a young family like yours will outgrow the vehicle just as your family would any other sub-compact.

When I was young it was common for single guys to have hot cars like Camaros, Mustangs, or GTOs. After they got married and had babies their wives made them trade in their high performance cars for station wagons. Such is life, but be glad your wife will let you get a CX-30 instead of a station wagon or a minivan.

Good luck in your quest for a new car, HIAO.
That depends on where you live ;)
Here in Europe the CX-3 actually is a compact crossover, like the Renault Captur, Peugeot 2008, Hyundai Kona to mention a few, where as the CX-30 actually moves up to the next class which includes the Renault Kadja, Peugeot 3008, Nissan Qashqai and others.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Here in Europe the CX-3 actually is a compact crossover [...]
Thanks for contributing to the discussion, santa. Many automotive sources agree with your assessment but I still think there are more models of crossover sport utility vehicles available than there are classes. In the reviews I have read there are mainly three size classifications; sub-compact, compact, and regular. Mazda has more than three models of the CXs; the 3, 5, 7, and 9. Soon they will also have a CX-30. [Rumour has it that Mazda had also developed a CX-1 but it was so small they lost the prototype and had to go with the CX-3.] The CX-3 is just the right size for my wife and I but we can see how a young family might outgrow the vehicle when the children become teens.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for contributing to the discussion, santa. Many automotive sources agree with your assessment but I still think there are more models of crossover sport utility vehicles available than there are classes. In the reviews I have read there are mainly three size classifications; sub-compact, compact, and regular. Mazda has more than three models of the CXs; the 3, 5, 7, and 9. Soon they will also have a CX-30. [Rumour has it that Mazda had also developed a CX-1 but it was so small they lost the prototype and had to go with the CX-3.] The CX-3 is just the right size for my wife and I but we can see how a young family might outgrow the vehicle when the children become teens.
I would argue that the CX-3 is a sub-compact (B-segment), CX-30 compact (C-segment) and CX-5 regular (D-segment) and CX-9/CX-8 (the slightle narrower Japanese version of the CX-9) above that.
And Mazda doesn't make a CX-7 anymore but maybe it's coming to bridge the gap bewteen CX-5 and CX-8/9.

And I totally follow you on the CX-3, it fits my wife and me (and our two dogs) but a family with more than one child could easily run out of space in a CX-3.
Though we are used to smaller cars in Europe and many families actually have cars the size of the CX-3 or even Mazda 2 as their only car.
Heck, when I was a child this was the car we had https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Uno and that was for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) and a dog ;):)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I, for one would like to look closely at the CX30 but for now the CX3 fits the bill for my wife and I and our pug. Even with AWD it will hit 34 MPG so on trips (with no hauling) the CX gets the nod. If I am towing our side by side or anything else my Frontier will suffice albeit with lots more fuel used...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I, for one would like to look closely at the CX30 but for now the CX3 fits the bill for my wife and I and our pug. Even with AWD it will hit 34 MPG so on trips (with no hauling) the CX gets the nod. If I am towing our side by side or anything else my Frontier will suffice albeit with lots more fuel used...
Agreed and while the CX30 is on the same platform as the 3 the interior and ext extra space isn’t actually that significant vs the CX3. The only issue I have with the CX3 is more to do with the ride where I find it too firm, bumpy and harsh at times due to our bad roads in our area and sometimes very jarring over huge bumps. Doesn’t make it any better with the torsion rears...only reason I would look at the CX30 would be the larger more powerful and less buzzy engine, slightly quieter ride and hopefully a much better and comfortable ride than the CX3. Mazda just botched the plastic cladding making it more prominent than it should be...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hope the non-UK members here are luckier than those in the UK. Here Mazda UK have recently announced they've taken the CX-3 off the sales list - the message on the UK website says "Production of the Mazda CX-3 has ceased and remaining stock has almost sold out." They supposedly need to reduce their overall CO2 emission figures to fit in with the new Euro standards starting this year. The cynic in me says it's mere co-incidence that they will now be forcing new buyers to go for the CX-30 model which, whilst producing less CO2, also costs at least £2,500 more for the cheapest model! I guess it is possible if the take up doesn't reach their sales targets they might bring back the CX-3 with the new Skyactiv X engine and better emission figures. Watch this space :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope the non-UK members here are luckier than those in the UK. Here Mazda UK have recently announced they've taken the CX-3 off the sales list - the message on the UK website says "Production of the Mazda CX-3 has ceased and remaining stock has almost sold out." They supposedly need to reduce their overall CO2 emission figures to fit in with the new Euro standards starting this year. The cynic in me says it's mere co-incidence that they will now be forcing new buyers to go for the CX-30 model which, whilst producing less CO2, also costs at least £2,500 more for the cheapest model! I guess it is possible if the take up doesn't reach their sales targets they might bring back the CX-3 with the new Skyactiv X engine and better emission figures. Watch this space :)
Was talking to the Mazda sales guy 2 weeks ago while my vehicle was being serviced and he said that likely in NA that the CX-3 will eventually be phased out due to the Cx-30...both models appear redundant in Mazda’s lineup and in the market. Only possibility would be in keeping CX-3 are in smaller or developing countries but still the size of both vehicles are very very close and it would be better to just keep the 3 platform than the 2. They would only maintain the 2 platform for the Yaris (a Toyota badged Mazda 2) in partnership with Toyota. I heard Toyota is going to produce a Yaris that’s jacked up like an SUV so maybe this could be the CX-3 eventually being handed over to Toyota...

·
Registered
142 Posts
At this point, I believe it is all about the numbers - sales numbers that is. So long as the CX-3 continues to sell close to expectations (which it does in certain markets), Mazda will keep producing it (for the receptive markets). With the strategy for 2020 (at least) being to offer one trim at a competitive price, it appears Mazda wants the CX-3 to serve as an entry (price) point to lure those sub-compact CUV shoppers coming from other brands. I am sure the figures will get well-scrutinized and if it appears very evident buyers are choosing the CX-30 over the CX-3, then the CX-3 will likely get dropped from production sooner than later. In any event, I would be surprised to still see it offered in North America past the 2020 model year.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts