Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Took my cx3 to a local shop had the coolant refilled with die, sure enough leaking condenser. My car has 50k miles now so warranty won't cover the crappy condenser mazda put in. Dealer want some $450 just for the new condenser. I found aftermarket condenser for $120, going to have my buddy help me put it in. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket condensers ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I honestly think the placement and lack of guard for the condenser is the real problem. The car being so low to the ground the bottom lip sucks in all the rocks straight into the condenser and destroys it, especially on highways.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I honestly think the placement and lack of guard for the condenser is the real problem. The car being so low to the ground the bottom lip sucks in all the rocks straight into the condenser and destroys it, especially on highways.
Is there any way to install some sort of guard over the condenser? Living in Florida, we used to zip-tie a heavy duty nylon window screen in front of the radiator to keep out the bugs.

EDIT: Needless-to-say, the bumper would first have to come off :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there any way to install some sort of guard over the condenser? Living in Florida, we used to zip-tie a heavy duty nylon window screen in front of the radiator to keep out the bugs.

EDIT: Needless-to-say, the bumper would first have to come off :)

I bought some aluminum grill mesh that I'm going to install in that lower part where condenser is most exposed. That should reduce a lot of the damage it takes from rocks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I bought some aluminum grill mesh that I'm going to install in that lower part where condenser is most exposed. That should reduce a lot of the damage it takes from rocks.
Sounds like a good idea ... pictures please :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a good idea ... pictures please :)

Once I install it I will post it for sure

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting thread here. I never thought of the condenser location as a possible issue. For many years, I owned a 1987 Toyota MR2, and the A/C condenser was likewise mounted very low and open to the road with a large front spoiler directing air (and everything else) thru it. Never had an issue with it or the A/C until the gave the car to my son (who is restoring it) a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 CX3. Yesterday was the first hot day of 2019 in New England. I don't use AC, as I'm always cold, but my wife was with me, and wanted it on. Nothing but hot air. I drive a lot, so I'm way over warranty miles. Went to my guy, and he said it was probably the condenser, as he had another CX3 in last Friday with the same issue. I'm pissed off. All in all, it's going to cost me a thousand bucks for repair on a 2.5 year old car. My love for this vehicle has dipped way below the safe range.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I believe this is the subject of a universal recall and that you should be able to have it done free. I may be wrong, but from everything that I have read about the faulty AC issue, this should be the case.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
You think? How much it will cost ya? Because when I broke my air conditioner, I watched on the price and said woooow. It was pretty big price, so I've decided to take a look for a service that probably can handle this. I've watched for it, and turns out that there are services that can repair it even if you have a big problem with it. It costed me not too much, but the quality was perfect so I've decided to take another offer https://www.socool.sg/ (If my air con would crash).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am pretty frustrated not having any AC for the entire summer on a brand new vehicle. I've had much cheaper and older vehicle have this basic cooling function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 CX-3 and last fall noticed that the AC wasn't performing as it used to. This spring took it to the dealer. Going back for the third time this week - at App't #1 everything was fine and it was blowing at 40°F. Ambient temp 29°C/85°F. I left and bought a thermometer and couldn't get better than 48°F on a cool day. On a warm day 20°C/68°F it was reading between 54°-58° so I booked another appointment, #2. Cool ambient temps this day 16°C/60°F and the reading was 48°F. Service pointed out that this was within the specified range; then showed me that a 2020 car registered 42°F with my thermometer. Not sure how that was to make me feel better, but glad they did as it shows my car isn't working at par. This week temps are to get back to the 30°C/85°F range and they've told me to drop in anytime. Is there a TSB for 2018 models? Sounds like the one was for 16/17 range. What should I ask for? A leakdown test? Die in the system? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What should I ask for? A leakdown test? Die in the system? Thanks in advance for your help.
Your 2018 should still be under warranty. I would be asking the dealer to fix the AC so that it works. They should know what to look for and if they don't, you should be looking for another dealer.

I bought a used 2016 last spring and when I needed the AC in June, it didn't work. Dealer quickly traced the problem to leaking / cracked evaporator, which is located under the dash. It took them 3 days to repair the unit and the cost was covered by them, either by the TSB, or as they said a good will gesture since I had bought the car from them less than 3 months before. So far so good, it's still working well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You had great service; so far as you can tell I've been getting a runabout. It is absolutely still under warranty and this is the dealership where it was purchased and always been serviced. I want to give them a fair chance, but at this point I do want to know what to request. It never hurts to be informed. The challenge seems to be that it is working yet not nearly as effectively as is should. If it was absolutely nothing, that would be easy. I've literally never had an AC issue like this in all of the years I've owned vehicles. But you're right, I may be looking for another dealer.

Your 2018 should still be under warranty. I would be asking the dealer to fix the AC so that it works. They should know what to look for and if they don't, you should be looking for another dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My air con condenser stopped working for while but I think it was alright for a while. Little did I know that the evaporator had also broken down and it caused much issue with my air con. I took it to my dealer but they did not do anything as they said they were not mechanics. Had to read up on some online aircon servicing articles myself to find out the issues and I changed the condenser and evaporator myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My air con condenser stopped working for while but I think it was alright for a while. Little did I know that the evaporator had also broken down and it caused much issue with my air con. I took it to my dealer but they did not do anything as they said they were not mechanics. Had to read up on some online aircon servicing articles myself to find out the issues and I changed the condenser and evaporator myself.
After two months of discussion with the dealer, my evaporator is being replaced. I'm just waiting for parts to arrive. My car is still well within the warranty. Sounds like you've done a lot of work - hope that you're happy with the results.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts