Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever order/use the roof racks and rails off of AliExpress or ebay? Seems one could order the whole kit-n-caboodle with rails and crossbars for about half of what OEM would cost. I can't imagine they could screw it up too badly. Any opinions on quality or preferred sellers?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just about any of the adjustable direct fit roof racks will fit the CX-3. If you car didn't come with the rain channels that have removable sections to allow access to the mounting points, you will need to buy them from Mazda. They are relatively inexpensive for a dealer part, ~$50 CDN for the pair. The old ones pop off and the new ones snap into place.

I bought a set of adjustable aluminium roof racks for $120 CDN on my local Kijiji site that fit perfectly. They adjust for width and they can be attached to the roof using the fixed point method. The ones I bought also have the option of using clips that hold onto the roof at the door openings. I choose to mount using the fixed point method. The racks I found are knock-offs of other aftermarket name brands like Thule, Yakima or Rhino, but cost much less than those. Mine are some no-name brand, (there was literally no name on the package), but still came with locks and all the necessary hardware to install. They have a slight whistle at highway speeds, but other than that they work great and securely hold my ski rack.

I couldn't see spending what the dealer wanted for their rail and crossbar combo and the name brand aftermarket options even had me baulking at their cost. Look around, there are many choices out there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here's a few photos of my rack system. As I mentioned earlier, the first thing is you will need are the rain channels with the removable pieces as shown. These are dealer parts, but not too expensive.

The crossbars on these racks are adjustable for width, which is important because the front and rear crossbars differ in the width between the mounting points on either side of the car. The red thumb tab visible in the third photo is the locking tab. Flip it down and the base slides on the cross bar track. When it is up it locks the base in place on the track. Once you set the location of the bases you won't need to do that again. The thumb turn screws down onto the mounting bolt, which is screwed into the roof mounting point. The locking cover attaches to the tab and also prevents the thumb turn from being loosened.

The ski rack and brackets that attach it to the crossbars were separate. I bought the Yakima ski rack used and ordered the mounting brackets from a Yakima dealer. The mounting brackets cost me more than the ski rack, but all in the entire thing cost far less than the dealer, or even a Yakima or Thule system.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got my OEM style rack from Ebay View attachment 23441
I've looked on eBay and most of the aftermarket OEM style racks seem to come from China. Did yours come from there and if so, are they good quality? Are they quiet at highway speeds? I think I would prefer the OEM style, but am holding off because of the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've looked on eBay and most of the aftermarket OEM style racks seem to come from China. Did yours come from there and if so, are they good quality? Are they quiet at highway speeds? I think I would prefer the OEM style, but am holding off because of the price.
They are OK...quiet .. cant even tell they are there... just remember the side rails are actually metallic silver... I plastidipped mine black

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ordered my roof rack last year on Amazon, i do not remember the model it is, however it is pretty nice. I would not recommend you to order this kind of things on aliexpress. You will either pay nothing for the part and a hell a lot for the delivery, and you will have to wait for an eternity for it, or it will not be the part that you actually ordered, I had such a situation. In case you are looking for a great deal, I can recommend you to read this honey review, and use this app. You might actually find some coupons so the deal is even better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, We are going to take our CX3 for a long drive (2 days) up to see the Great Barrier Reef. I wanted to install a roof rack and roofbox to allow for more luggage. I was looking for something fairly cheap and is not permanently attached to the car as we would normally be using it for city driving. Could anyone share their experience with door clamp roof racks? I'm looking at universal roof rack like this in amazon.com.au..

Would this be a big no no? thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi All, We are going to take our CX3 for a long drive (2 days) up to see the Great Barrier Reef. I wanted to install a roof rack and roofbox to allow for more luggage. I was looking for something fairly cheap and is not permanently attached to the car as we would normally be using it for city driving. Could anyone share their experience with door clamp roof racks? I'm looking at universal roof rack like this in amazon.com.au..

Would this be a big no no? thanks for any help or advice.
I've never been a fan of that style of roof rack attachment to the car. The type I used, posted above, is easily removable and looks more like a factory rack. You should be aware that either one of them will generate wind noise, mine certainly did.

By the way, the wind noise from that roof rack drove me nuts so I have since sold it and gone with an OEM one. I picked up the crossbars online for a great price, but after no luck finding the roof rails online I had to get them from the dealer at $300 CDN. I should have gone that way initially because the OEM rack is silent and looks great. I left roof rails in silver because I like that they match the silver door trim on my GT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just about any of the adjustable direct fit roof racks will fit the CX-3. If you car didn't come with the rain channels that have removable sections to allow access to the mounting points, you will need to buy them from Mazda. They are relatively inexpensive for a dealer part, ~$50 CDN for the pair. The old ones pop off and the new ones snap into place.

I bought a set of adjustable aluminium roof racks for $120 CDN on my local Kijiji site that fit perfectly. They adjust for width and they can be attached to the roof using the fixed point method. The ones I bought also have the option of using clips that hold onto the roof at the door openings. I choose to mount using the fixed point method. The racks I found are knock-offs of other aftermarket name brands like Thule, Yakima or Rhino, but cost much less than those. Mine are some no-name brand, (there was literally no name on the package), but still came with locks and all the necessary hardware to install. They have a slight whistle at highway speeds, but other than that they work great and securely hold my ski rack.

I couldn't see spending what the dealer wanted for their rail and crossbar combo and the name brand aftermarket options even had me baulking at their cost. Look around, there are many choices out there.
Thanks for the tip. Can you link to the product information that you had to get from the dealer. You mentioned you got new rain channels that have removable sections to allow for access to the mounting points. You said you got them for $50 but I can't find them on the Mazda parts website.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Can you link to the product information that you had to get from the dealer. You mentioned you got new rain channels that have removable sections to allow for access to the mounting points. You said you got them for $50 but I can't find them on the Mazda parts website.

Thanks,
Mark
I ordered them from my local Mazda dealer.
The part numbers are D1YE-50-9HOA (right), and D1YE-50-9LOA (left).
They were $25 each in May 2019 when I bought them. I've since replaced them with the factory roof rails so they are now sitting on a shelf in my garage. I tried to sell them for $25 earlier this year and had a lot of views, but no takers. If you are anywhere near Orangeville Ontario and can pick them up, you can have them. Shipping would be too expensive and they would likely get damaged anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered them from my local Mazda dealer.
The part numbers are D1YE-50-9HOA (right), and D1YE-50-9LOA (left).
They were $25 each in May 2019 when I bought them. I've since replaced them with the factory roof rails so they are now sitting on a shelf in my garage. I tried to sell them for $25 earlier this year and had a lot of views, but no takers. If you are anywhere near Orangeville Ontario and can pick them up, you can have them. Shipping would be too expensive and they would likely get damaged anyway.
View attachment 23625
View attachment 23626
Thanks for that info and the offer. I re-read your post and it sounds like going with the OEM version if probably the only option if I want to avoid wind noise (which I do). Which site did you find the crossbars on and were they OEM too ? Finally did you get a ski rack for the crossbars and which one ? Thanks for all the info !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for that info and the offer. I re-read your post and it sounds like going with the OEM version if probably the only option if I want to avoid wind noise (which I do). Which site did you find the crossbars on and were they OEM too ? Finally did you get a ski rack for the crossbars and which one ? Thanks for all the info !
I bought a set of OEM crossbars on Kijiji for $80 from a previous owner who had removed them from his car before trade-in. Unfortunately I was too late to get the roof rails. I would have bought those as well and used the trim pieces as partial payment. After looking for several months I gave up and went to the Dealer for the rails. At least they gave me 10% off, which brought the price for the rails to around $300. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it looks great and is completely silent.

I have a Yakima ski rack and a set of universal mounts that attach directly to the crossbars. I expect the ski rack will create some wind noise, but it's only on the car when I need to carry my skis, so I'm not too concerned about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts