Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever order/use the roof racks and rails off of AliExpress or ebay? Seems one could order the whole kit-n-caboodle with rails and crossbars for about half of what OEM would cost. I can't imagine they could screw it up too badly. Any opinions on quality or preferred sellers?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just about any of the adjustable direct fit roof racks will fit the CX-3. If you car didn't come with the rain channels that have removable sections to allow access to the mounting points, you will need to buy them from Mazda. They are relatively inexpensive for a dealer part, ~$50 CDN for the pair. The old ones pop off and the new ones snap into place.

I bought a set of adjustable aluminium roof racks for $120 CDN on my local Kijiji site that fit perfectly. They adjust for width and they can be attached to the roof using the fixed point method. The ones I bought also have the option of using clips that hold onto the roof at the door openings. I choose to mount using the fixed point method. The racks I found are knock-offs of other aftermarket name brands like Thule, Yakima or Rhino, but cost much less than those. Mine are some no-name brand, (there was literally no name on the package), but still came with locks and all the necessary hardware to install. They have a slight whistle at highway speeds, but other than that they work great and securely hold my ski rack.

I couldn't see spending what the dealer wanted for their rail and crossbar combo and the name brand aftermarket options even had me baulking at their cost. Look around, there are many choices out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's a few photos of my rack system. As I mentioned earlier, the first thing is you will need are the rain channels with the removable pieces as shown. These are dealer parts, but not too expensive.

The crossbars on these racks are adjustable for width, which is important because the front and rear crossbars differ in the width between the mounting points on either side of the car. The red thumb tab visible in the third photo is the locking tab. Flip it down and the base slides on the cross bar track. When it is up it locks the base in place on the track. Once you set the location of the bases you won't need to do that again. The thumb turn screws down onto the mounting bolt, which is screwed into the roof mounting point. The locking cover attaches to the tab and also prevents the thumb turn from being loosened.

The ski rack and brackets that attach it to the crossbars were separate. I bought the Yakima ski rack used and ordered the mounting brackets from a Yakima dealer. The mounting brackets cost me more than the ski rack, but all in the entire thing cost far less than the dealer, or even a Yakima or Thule system.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts