Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been nearly half a year, so I'd expect to start seeing aftermarket parts becoming available for our CX3's, yet I can't manage to find anything for it, other than "one size fits all" things.

The usual go-to guys, Corksport, has nothing as of yet as well. I've seen that Remus has an axle-back exhaust for it, and a really awful looking kit by AutoExe, but anyone heard news from a specific aftermarket manufacturer, or maybe have bought aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Since the CX-3 has only been out in the US for a couple months, I wouldn't expect to see anything from Corksport anytime soon. I know they got a Miata fresh off the boat and are probably focusing R&D on that. I'm sure if you want to be a donor car for some fittings, they'd probably be interested in taking a closer look.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind being a bit of a donor, but I'm nowhere near them, and this is my only vehicle, so parting with it for whatever time is not going to happen. I was just assuming that within half a year we'd see intakes or exhausts for it from them. I don't believe the parts are similar as they Mazda3, are they? As in universal between the 3 and CX3?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ah, I see you're not very close lol. I know the Corksport guys and they're great - did some work on my old Mazda3.

From what I've read, exhaust is tricky on the CX-3 due to the complex geometry of outfitting AWD on a Mazda2 platform so it's pretty unique. No clue if you can use a 2.0 intake but IMO, pointless on this kind of vehicle. This isn't likely to be a tuners vehicle so I doubt any performance products won't be rushed to market.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not too keen on any kits of any sort, I like the look of them. But being a Mazda, I cant help but adding more zoom zoom to it, with some simple aftermarket stuff, like short ram intake, high flow filters, and liking the exhaust note, Id like to think the sound with a proper exhaust would be nice, even if it were at the minimum, and axle back. I am aware it has a very strange path that the exhaust takes, probably making it difficult to do anything special with.
@DJ9999, Id like to think otherwise about the pointlessness of doing anything to the CX3, to me it feels and looks more like a sport wagon than a cuv. Id even prefer calling it a hatchback instead. And it looks too sporty to not have a bit more sportier sound, and potentially a bit more power, but like you said, priority to the Miata I suppose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
same here. I'd like a good axleback but can't bring myself to pay $700 to ship a Remus over from Europe unless it sounds amazing. (and I can't tell enough on its sound just based on that short YouTube video)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dynotronics (tuner) and ECUtek (platform provider) will be bringing tunes. They already worked on Mazda3, CX-5, Miata.

Current group buy for Miata ND tune.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=594904

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Oh no, more CX-3 carnage;-)

I think I'd like a kit to make mine even quieter so I can creep up behind in stealth mode - a kind of monument to the years of anti noise legislation around the world.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just in from our lads over at CorkSport - Power series short ram intake for the CX-3 / $180 three colors available (Blue, red and black). Short YouTube video on how to install it also. Well, it's a start ?.

Mazda CX3 Performance | Short Ram Intake

Cheers for now
Mick
Good to see after market coming out with items, wonder what difference it makes to power and intake sound.

Not knowing anything about the mazda engine management system, can it accept mods to intake , exhaust etc without giving errors, does it compensate for them, or do you need a retune to really take advantage.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did read the page some time ago, and it does say it is designed to prevent errors, so that hopefully answers that.

As for the product itself, it does give the engine bay a whole world of life, and I'm most definitely considering it, after the winter of course. Only gripe is lack of video showing it off and lack of stats sheet (though I wouldn't expect much from this upgrade, if at all). I'm hoping either they release the silicone connector in white, or that it can be easily painted, as I was planning on doing a white transformation under the hood once I began messing with things in there. If not, white and red ain't to bad. Body in white, extra pieces here and there in red, like hoses, connectors, covers, wheel nuts (currently polished, red on the black rims would look nice I'd think).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dynotronics (tuner) and ECUtek (platform provider) will be bringing tunes. They already worked on Mazda3, CX-5, Miata.

Current group buy for Miata ND tune.
!!!!New EcuTek SkyActive G ND Tuning Pre-Sale GROUP BUY!!!! - MX-5 Miata Forum
I spoke with Joe at Dynotronics and he has tuned many stock MX5 Sky-G engines with a resulting increase of approximate 10 HP and TQ. He has not tuned a CX3 yet but is willing to take a shot at it.

With the MX5s modified with a header, midpipe and exhaust a tune is resulting in 20-25 HP and TQ increase at the wheels. There is a lot to be gained in the Sky-G 2.0.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any experience with short ram intakes? I've done some research. I think this may be my next buy for my cx3.

Just in from our lads over at CorkSport - Power series short ram intake for the CX-3 / $180 three colors available (Blue, red and black). Short YouTube video on how to install it also. Well, it's a start ?.

Mazda CX3 Performance | Short Ram Intake

Cheers for now
Mick

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think I might open a rehabilitation care home for physically abused and emotionally disturbed CX-3s. Once back to normal, I will then only sell them to carefully selected grandpa's and Miss Daisy's so they can retire in peace and never ever catch sight of a Milwaukee Hacksall blade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't expect much out of an SRA intake on this car. From what I can see in pics (haven't had a chance to really check it out in person yet) our stock airbox is pulling air in from the wheelwell which means it is a cold air intake. Cooler air is denser which results in more power. The SRA will draw air directly from the engine bay which is hot air and bad for power. My best guess would be a net loss in peak HP and torque, with the peak in both moving a little higher in the RPMs and maybe a small gain in HP at the upper RPMs which you don't really want to be in anyways. I love performance mods, but that is one I would take a hard pass on without dyno proven results from a neutral 3rd party.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Potential power gains lie in the exhaust side... header, midpipe and muffler. Being early CX3 buyers we have to have patience. Product development and dyno testing for comparisons with stock configuration is required. In my opinion, for the CX3, a CAI or SRI will add engine bling and any power increase will be negligible. Personally, I would first spend my modification money on lightweight wheels, quality all season and summer tires, LED interior lights and window tint. YMMV

1 - 20 of 43 Posts