Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I installed an AEM short ram in my CX-3 today, took about an hour. Probably one of the easiest engine mods I've ever done.
This was the kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWKHZ4J/

Since it's technically not made specifically for this vehicle there were a few weird things I had to work around:
A. The throttle body opening is slightly larger so I had to flip the coupler around so it would fit (and had to use my own hose clamps I had laying around). This seemed to work fine and still connected to the AEM pipe snuggly so could be an error in the included instructions
B. The CX-3's intake snorkel outlet sits about an inch off from the opening in the heat shield. (I'll take some more pics soon showing this) so only about half the air is coming from the exterior. Might take a Dremel to it. (But honestly, it's pretty isolated from the engine as it stands)
C. The heat shield was bent during shipment so I had to do some bending and still not quite sitting right so need to work on that.

Overall though I'm enjoying it. Adds nice low-end tones under acceleration but stays somewhat quiet under 2500rpm. At around 3k rpm you start to hear it growl a bit. There is a touch more throttle response above 3000rpm.

Another plus is that it'll be easy to put the stock box back in if I ever decide or need to.

Before:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Vehicle

After:
Car Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
2019 CX 3 Touring
24 Posts
So I installed an AEM short ram in my CX-3 today, took about an hour. Probably one of the easiest engine mods I've ever done.
This was the kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWKHZ4J/

Since it's technically not made specifically for this vehicle there were a few weird things I had to work around:
A. The throttle body opening is slightly larger so I had to flip the coupler around so it would fit (and had to use my own hose clamps I had laying around). This seemed to work fine and still connected to the AEM pipe snuggly so could be an error in the included instructions
B. The CX-3's intake snorkel outlet sits about an inch off from the opening in the heat shield. (I'll take some more pics soon showing this) so only about half the air is coming from the exterior. Might take a Dremel to it. (But honestly, it's pretty isolated from the engine as it stands)
C. The heat shield was bent during shipment so I had to do some bending and still not quite sitting right so need to work on that.

Overall though I'm enjoying it. Adds nice low-end tones under acceleration but stays somewhat quiet under 2500rpm. At around 3k rpm you start to hear it growl a bit. There is a touch more throttle response above 3000rpm.

Another plus is that it'll be easy to put the stock box back in if I ever decide or need to.

Before:
View attachment 24033

After:
View attachment 24034

Gallery with video clips:
Where does it get the fresh air from now?

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where does it get the fresh air from now?
The stock snorkel connects to the heat shield that is provided, but you are probably getting warmer air, yes.

I mostly got it for the additional "vroom" and "whoosh" noise tbh I doubt that it's 'better' than stock, just louder

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A lil update.

I dremeled out the heatshield opening for the snorkel to connect then used some 3" intake hose to extend that into the shield. Needed to cut away about two inches for it to fit properly:

Automotive tire Car Light Hood Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2019 CX 3 Touring
24 Posts
A lil update.

I dremeled out the heatshield opening for the snorkel to connect the used some 3" intake pipe to extend that into the shield. Needed to cut away about two inches for it to fit properly:

View attachment 24044
I have seen pictures of a snorkel kit for a CX5 which uses a scoop attached just below the mouth of the intake, (where you have the AEM sticker), they cut a rectangular hole on the plastic shelf which gives fresh air from in front of the radiator and installed a semi round scoop under it, I have accumulated certain plastic parts to duplicate that snorkel, first thing I will cut the hole on the shelf. I did replace the original paper air filter with a K&N filter, I have always used them in all my previous cars, wash every oil change and they are good. Here is the picture of said snorkel/scoop, it's $ 314 on Ebay
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen pictures of a snorkel kit for a CX5 which uses a scoop attached just below the mouth of the intake, (where you have the AEM sticker), they cut a rectangular hole on the plastic shelf which gives fresh air from in front of the radiator and installed a semi round scoop under it, I have accumulated certain plastic parts to duplicate that snorkel, first thing I will cut the hole on the shelf. I did replace the original paper air filter with a K&N filter, I have always used them in all my previous cars, wash every oil change and they are good. Here is the picture of said snorkel/scoop, it's $ 314 on Ebay View attachment 24045
This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing

Do you happen to have a link? I'm having trouble finding it

·
Registered
2019 CX 3 Touring
24 Posts
This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing

Do you happen to have a link? I'm having trouble finding it
Here it is but remember this is for CX5, I'm sure you can copy the design and make one for your CX3, that's what I'm going to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts