Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on the Mazda 3 you can add GPS at a later date. I assume the CX3 has something similar since I know most of the cars are wired for GPS already.

Has anyone had the GPS added after the fact?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't but I did ask about it and it's easy to do. They basically just give you an SD card with everything loaded and you plug it into your car. There's a little SD slot behind a plastic cover below the CD player.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The GPS in Canada is $495 I believe... with 3 years of map updates. But i'm not positive, I had them throw in the GPS as part of my negotiation.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mazdagear offers the SD card for $336 USD and states it can be added to the CX3 and other Mazda models with the color touch screen. If you choose to buy from your dealer, remember you can also negotiate the price as it, like all accessories, has mark up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mazdagear offers the SD card for $336 USD and states it can be added to the CX3 and other Mazda models with the color touch screen. If you choose to buy from your dealer, remember you can also negotiate the price as it, like all accessories, has mark up.
That looks good and all we need is the SD card? There's nothing else that needs to be added equipment wise?

[I have a Touring w/ Premium Package]

·
Registered
872 Posts
Slev, I cannot safely confirm that. I have a GT that came with Nav. Hopefully someone can chime in. Or, you can also contact an accessories seller such as Mazdagear to confirm. Then you'll have certainty.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As long as your CX-3 has a SD-card slot (i.e. all trims in Canada), no other equipment needs to be added.
I really appreciate Mazda doing this, I wish other car companies would do this rather than hide the GPS behind their top of the line trims. I got the CX-3 GT for other reasons than just the GPS, but my mom wants to get a CX-5 and doesn't need all the bells and whistles of the GT but would like navigation. She'll get the Touring and add the navigation SD card, saving her a lot of money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really appreciate Mazda doing this, I wish other car companies would do this rather than hide the GPS behind their top of the line trims. I got the CX-3 GT for other reasons than just the GPS, but my mom wants to get a CX-5 and doesn't need all the bells and whistles of the GT but would like navigation. She'll get the Touring and add the navigation SD card, saving her a lot of money.
This applies to all Mazda's equipped with the 7" screen with Mazda Connect, HMI commander, etc. If the vehicle has an SD card slot and the above equipment, then all that needs to be purchased is an navigation card accessory and it will work, even on base vehicles such as the GX Mazda3, Mazda6, CX-3 and CX-5.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got the SD card from someone on kijiji here in Edmonton. I paid $125 and it works perfectly. Been able to update it and no issues. Turns out the person works for Mazda, Certain questions I didn't ask as I do not want to know.I just know I got a smoking deal haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is a neat system and very easy to update if you have a computer with an SD card slot. Already did my wife's once. And it came with 3 years of FREE updates, a lot of manufacturers sell you the unit with 1 year of updates then charge ridiculous prices for the maps! So a lot of people go to a Garmin or the like for much less money.

Kudos to Mazda for a great idea!

·
Registered
272 Posts
in all honesty, if anyone has a CX3 that does not have the nav system from factory, I'd say save your $$ and get a better smart phone for your purposes. The system is alright at best, nothing a smart phone can't do.

If my GT trim had the option to go without navi, i'd happily go without. The $1k+ i'd save would be enough to buy phablet like Samsung Galaxy Note 4/5 , a dash mount, a car charger.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Three years of free map updates is an excellent deal IMO. My 2009 Acura had free updates for 1 year (no negotiation for additional) and then $149 each year if you wanted an updated map. Ever so often, they'd throw their owners a bone by offering it at a "special" price of "only" $99. I did purchase the update DVD once (2012) in the 7+ years I owned it, but vowed not to again after I discovered that the updates contained therein were still a year behind.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can't negotiate here in Finland. Price for the navigation SD card is 865,00 €. That is about 970 USD.
Ridiculous.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Three years of free map updates is an excellent deal IMO. My 2009 Acura had free updates for 1 year (no negotiation for additional) and then $149 each year if you wanted an updated map. Ever so often, they'd throw their owners a bone by offering it at a "special" price of "only" $99. I did purchase the update DVD once (2012) in the 7+ years I owned it, but vowed not to again after I discovered that the updates contained therein were still a year behind.
Mazda's 3 years of free map updates can be read in various ways. Maybe it is different in the USA but over here on the Mazda UK (plus Europe I expect) website it says "Mazda provides 3 years of free updates for the most accurate and enjoyable driving experience. These map updates will be released up to two times each year." This can be interpreted as zero, one or two updates each year !!! Note that this was amended from earlier in the year when I'm sure it said that there would be two updates each year, one in the spring and one in the autumn, over the 3 year period. In the last month they've only just released the first update since October 2015 !!!

In my opinion if I could have bought the Sport Nav model without the Nav option and saved myself the $750 (price charged on lesser models), I'd have bought myself a decent standalone unit from either Garmin or Tom Tom with much more functionality - e.g. built in free lifetime map and traffic updates - and still saved over $400.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts