Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea how this can be done if you don't have them already and the work and cost involved.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fog lamp kit LED accessories for Mazda CX-3 2015 - 2015
"Set of 2 pieces. Fog lamp relay and fog lamp switch required for installation." So maybe $300..400 installed.

IMO the tiny fog lights mounted as low as they are in CX-3 are completely useless.
+1 the fog lights are purely for looks (though they do look quite nice being LED) I have yet to own a car where the fog lights were practical in anyway.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In the summer I am thinking of adding in a couple of mini LED light bars in behind the black fasica on the bottom of the front end of the CX-3. Figured it would look neat and be useful.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Fog lights rarely give off a practically useful beam of light but they aren't meant to. They give off a very flat and low light to prevent glare coming back to the windscreen and in that respect they work perfectly.

It's also interesting to see that S G Petch have dropped the price of the armrest to half of what I paid my dealer. I go off that dealer more and more as time goes by.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fog lights rarely give off a practically useful beam of light but they aren't meant to. They give off a very flat and low light to prevent glare coming back to the windscreen and in that respect they work perfectly.
If the fog lights are aimed correctly (2% drop) with installation height of 300 mm you get only 15 m of range.

If reaction time is 1,5 s your brains can process things you see on area light by fog lights only up to 36 km/h (=10m/s). And still you don't have any time to react on what ever you see.

Projector headlights have very sharp cut off so they don't cause much glare.

If you didn't guess, I hate people who use fog lights because they look cool or think that they give any help when driving highway speeds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If the fog lights are aimed correctly (2% drop) with installation height of 300 mm you get only 15 m of range.

If reaction time is 1,5 s your brains can process things you see on area light by fog lights only up to 36 km/h (=10m/s). And still you don't have any time to react on what ever you see.

Projector headlights have very sharp cut off so they don't cause much glare.

If you didn't guess, I hate people who use fog lights because they look cool or think that they give any help when driving highway speeds.
but they do look cool :D guess we cant be friends

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most of the time people aren't using them correctly. There's rarely a time to use them correctly anyway. From what I read they're useful for lighting up reflective road markings to help you stay in your lane.

What ends up happening is people have them on in light rain or wet roads and just reflect more light back up into my face. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
My Mazda 6's both had the fog lights in the headlamp assemblies. Was pretty odd placement, if you ask me. My '07 Mazda 3 GT had pretty worthless fogs on it. My '02 WRX had big giant fog lamps that made a very apparent difference. In each case, though, I preferred having them on more often than not. Part of the reason was the look. I like how it looks. But the bigger reason is that i find that they really help illuminate areas in the close-range periphery that the headlights don't cover because of the sharp cut-off someone else mentioned. Specifically, lane markings and roadside areas. I sometimes have trouble spotting critters at night and I've found the fogs help a bit with that by making their eyes light up a little bit more brightly. Also, helps a bit when turning into corners. I find the hard cut-off of the projectors to sometimes leave you a little bit blind when making 90-degree turns in the dark. I sort of wish I sprung for the GT trim on my CX-3 just for the adaptive lighting feature alone.

·
Registered
212 Posts
But the bigger reason is that i find that they really help illuminate areas in the close-range periphery
That means that your eyes adapt to bright lights and you "loose" your night vision and are not able to see as far as you would with less light right in front of the car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That means that your eyes adapt to bright lights and you "loose" your night vision and are not able to see as far as you would with less light right in front of the car.
That's just it, though. Being able to see far isn't the problem I usually have. Seeing close-range and off to the sides of the road beyond where the projector beams have sharply cut off is where I need help and fog lights can provide that with low and usually wide angle beams. The projectors concentrate so much of the light into a tightly constrained area, and the cut-off is so sharp, that it leaves areas outside the beam coverage area to be pretty blind. The fogs act sort of like flood lights to help close-range peripheral lighting, which is what I want, as I said in my post that you quoted.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like them on together with the regular headlights and rear lights. Anything to make you more visible to other drivers is a plus for me - rally drivers or not.

Reactions: funambulistic
1 - 20 of 31 Posts