Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to purchase a 2018 Mazda CX-3 Touring AWD, selling for $16,900 with 38000 Miles, this car has a salvage title, and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection. If you guys have any suggestions on what to check.
Looking forward to joining this family, thanks

UPDATE
After your insightful comments I decided to do my due diligence before spending so much money especially after concerns raised here. I requested the VIN number from the owner and started by searching a VIN REPORT for any historical records that could shine light into its past. To my surprise, I saw photos after entering the VIN number so my curiosity piqued and I took a bite. Turns out a $15.00 report saved me $thousand and some change to be exact. I couldn’t have been happier overall and will take car buying a lot more cautiously after this close experience.

Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/JM1DKFC75J0308905
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Communication Device Mobile device Font Material property Gadget

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
201 Posts
It looks good, but I would probably take a pass on a salvage title because if you ever decide to sell there are many people (myself included) who would never buy it. However, if you plan to own it until you run it into the ground then at least have an independent mechanic have a look to be sure any repairs which lead to the salvage title were done properly. Do you have any idea how bad, or what kind of damage lead to the vehicle being branded as salvage?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Did a quick kbb (lol) price valuation from dealer price with that year and mileage to give a rough estimation of totalled cost and it would have to have surpassed around 22k in repairs or have something like airbags deployed in a semi serious at minimim collision. Personally this is a big red flag as is any salvaged vehicle. Unless it is a rarity collectors car or something unique (like almost every saturn sky convertible is totalled since ultra easy to surpass valuation) i would stay away from this. Main reason being is that "newer" modern cars are highly more complex than older and even if things look alright it could be something stupid like bad engine sensors or trashed transmission or even knock etc that will cause catastrophic failure very soon down the road.

We cant really give you any idea of what to look for because its no longer subject to oem issues. Any issue you have going forward will be impossible to tell if genuine mazda problem or something related to accident. Even something as wire which might have been pulled from a crimped termimal as a result of a crash can cause you thousands to diagnose and paying for dealer to do trial and error repairs with no guarantee of a fix. Sad but this is the reality of salvage vehicles, and why many avoid it for good reason. Id rather pay a couple grand more for the guarantee of not having to deal with this because the other fun part as mentioned above is there is almost zero resale or trade in value if you ever decide to change vehicles in future.

Best of luck and hope you find what youre looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did a quick kbb (lol) price valuation from dealer price with that year and mileage to give a rough estimation of totalled cost and it would have to have surpassed around 22k in repairs or have something like airbags deployed in a semi serious at minimim collision. Personally this is a big red flag as is any salvaged vehicle. Unless it is a rarity collectors car or something unique (like almost every saturn sky convertible is totalled since ultra easy to surpass valuation) i would stay away from this. Main reason being is that "newer" modern cars are highly more complex than older and even if things look alright it could be something stupid like bad engine sensors or trashed transmission or even knock etc that will cause catastrophic failure very soon down the road.

We cant really give you any idea of what to look for because its no longer subject to oem issues. Any issue you have going forward will be impossible to tell if genuine mazda problem or something related to accident. Even something as wire which might have been pulled from a crimped termimal as a result of a crash can cause you thousands to diagnose and paying for dealer to do trial and error repairs with no guarantee of a fix. Sad but this is the reality of salvage vehicles, and why many avoid it for good reason. Id rather pay a couple grand more for the guarantee of not having to deal with this because the other fun part as mentioned above is there is almost zero resale or trade in value if you ever decide to change vehicles in future.

Best of luck and hope you find what youre looking for.
Thanks for your advice. I heard from the owner that, The damage is not serious, Anyways I will getting a carfax and I will show it to you guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks good, but I would probably take a pass on a salvage title because if you ever decide to sell there are many people (myself included) who would never buy it. However, if you plan to own it until you run it into the ground then at least have an independent mechanic have a look to be sure any repairs which lead to the salvage title were done properly. Do you have any idea how bad, or what kind of damage lead to the vehicle being branded as salvage?
Yes, you're right, I will getting a car report to see it history, I will share it with you guys, Thanks for your suggestion

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, you're right, I will getting a car report to see it history, I will share it with you guys, Thanks for your suggestion
One other thing I forgot to mention. Here in Ontario Canada you cannot plate a vehicle that has been branded as "Salvage". Once a vehicle receives this branding, it can only be used for parts, or off road uses. Obviously in the State where you live it can be done, but there may be other States that have similar regulations regarding salvaged vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
UPDATE
After your insightful comments I decided to do my due diligence before spending so much money especially after concerns raised here. I requested the VIN number from the owner and started by searching a VIN REPORT for any historical records that could shine light into its past. To my surprise, I saw photos after entering the VIN number so my curiosity piqued and I took a bite. Turns out a $15.00 report saved me $thousand and some change to be exact. I couldn’t have been happier overall and will take car buying a lot more cautiously after this close experience.

Here is the car report: Get Instant Vehicle History Report
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts