Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not that serious but........

.......how they ever managed to not add a plastic insert or complete plastic footrest is just beyond me. I doubt that a CX-3 doing average mileage would make it to the end of the warranty without the edge of the footrest getting threadbare is quite unlikely and changing a carpet is quite a big job requiring all the seats and a lot of the trim removing.

Anyway, I bought a suitable piece of rubber from eBay and used Velcro to stick it on. I cut it on the long side and used tape to anchor it to the welded plastic insert under the mat.

Turned out like this

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good Idea @anchorman, I will need to do something similar. No sure why they didn't put one in at factory.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My last Mazda3 was the same. I installed the accessory pedal set and will do the same once I can get my hands on one. The beancounters at Mazda certainly won the dead pedal cover wars.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My last Mazda3 was the same. I installed the accessory pedal set and will do the same once I can get my hands on one. The beancounters at Mazda certainly won the dead pedal cover wars.
Ditto. My 2007 Mazda 3 GT didn't have any footrest cover either. It seems a little unforgivable to skimp on this, especially on the top-level GT trim. I ended up going to Home Depot's millwork aisle and picked up a small sheet of diamond plate metal. I took a sheet a paper or cardboard and laid it in the car and drew out my pattern. Cut out the pattern, taped it to the metal and then went to work with the old jigsaw and a file to clean up the burrs. Once I had it cut, I took a piece of industrial strength Velcro tape (hook side) and stuck it to the back side of the plate and then put it down on the floor. The Velcro worked really well on the carpet and still allowed me to easily remove the plate if I ever needed to for cleaning the carpets and/or the plate. I don't remember if I painted it black or if I just left it with the bare polished look.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never noticed nor used this footrest in any car i've owned. Which is about a dozen cars. Maybe because a majority were manuals? Maybe i drive weird.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've never noticed nor used this footrest in any car i've owned. Which is about a dozen cars. Maybe because a majority were manuals? Maybe i drive weird.
Certainly, driving a manual probably has a lot to do with it. I've been consciously avoiding using mine for the reasons anchorman noted. At least until I can make or buy a footrest to install there. The carpet would wear and soil badly in no time with my heavy steel toe boots on that I have to wear at work. I'll have to look and see if I have any of that diamond plate material left, now that I'm thinking about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen aluminium ones on eBay that could be cut down but I didn't want it to look too industrial. I thought I'd try and make it look factory installed as much as possible. I don't like those alloy pedal tops either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've just gone and looked at mine after reading this and noticed that after only 300 or so miles, the carpet on my footrest is already looking a bit worn and dirty, but not on the front where the aluminium footrest cover in the accessories would go, but on the corner and side facing the clutch pedal. Must be my big clumsy foot. not sure how I could protect it there very well though..

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When I put my foot on that bit of rubber it holds it off the corner. You could perhaps do more with some trimmed down 3 or 4 inch plastic corner capping.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just checked yesterday while driving and my foot is half on and half off my floor mat and sometimes at a 90 degree angle. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good subject anchorman "A serious omission" and, from the number of replies a problem for many of us. Your "fix" looks great. I, like Vipre have at time avoided using this foot rest (then mentally kicked myself for being "so silly"). I have considered buying the Alloy Pedal Covers but have baulked at the cost (au$295 us$206) being asked by Mazda for the whole set..Auto. I did enquirer IF just the foot rest can be purchased....yes...at au$75 us$56. Still costly for what it is. Anchorman's solution is looking even better.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good subject anchorman "A Serious omission" and, from the number of replies a problem for many of us. Your "fix" looks great. I, like Vipre have at time avoided using this foot rest (then mentally kicked myself for being "so silly"). I have considered buying the Alloy Pedal Covers but have baulked at the cost (au$295 us$206) being asked by Mazda for the whole set..Auto. I did enquirer IF just the foot rest can be purchased....yes...at au$75 us$56. Still costly for what it is. Anchorman's solution is looking even better.
I think it cost about £4 and there is enough to make at least one more, maybe two. I just peeled it off the CX-3 without leaving a mark and it now lives in the CX-5!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts