Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My CX3 has 4 months old, when I turn on AC Im hearing a strange noise and im not getting cold air. Does anyone have experienced this same thing?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I hope hope you don't have the problem that poster Eric sample has.He had a bad evaporater and has to wait weeks for the part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alas, I wish my first post here were not on this subject, but I've had this same problem since I bought my CX-3 AWD GT in November. This Friday will be the third time I take it to the dealer to have the A/C repaired. I love the car, but Mazda's inability to fix this means I will seek to have it bought back if the issue is not permanently fixed this time. With the past two repair attempts, the A/C would work for a day afterward then nothing but heaving sounds as though a condenser was trying to do . . . something. My local dealer hems & haws about, "Oh, well the coolant leaked out because of a bad seal" [first repair attempt] and then, "Oh, well, a tube wasn't properly connected; it should work fine from now on" [second repair attempt]. The A/C stopped working a day later, and I've had to wait 2 weeks just to get another appointment. Even the worst cars I ever had had working A/C.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Alas, I wish my first post here were not on this subject, but I've had this same problem since I bought my CX-3 AWD GT in November. This Friday will be the third time I take it to the dealer to have the A/C repaired. I love the car, but Mazda's inability to fix this means I will seek to have it bought back if the issue is not permanently fixed this time. With the past two repair attempts, the A/C would work for a day afterward then nothing but heaving sounds as though a condenser was trying to do . . . something. My local dealer hems & haws about, "Oh, well the coolant leaked out because of a bad seal" [first repair attempt] and then, "Oh, well, a tube wasn't properly connected; it should work fine from now on" [second repair attempt]. The A/C stopped working a day later, and I've had to wait 2 weeks just to get another appointment. Even the worst cars I ever had had working A/C.
I would say it is the inability of that certain dealer, not Mazda as a whole. Have you tried taking it to another Mazda dealer in your area or is this the only one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say it is the inability of that certain dealer, not Mazda as a whole. Have you tried taking it to another Mazda dealer in your area or is this the only one?
There are other dealers to which I can take it (Seattle), just none as convenient as the one from which I bought it. If the situation isn't fixed this time, I'm not sure I want to bother with any more attempts but will consider my options. Of course, I'm hoping the A/C gets its permanent fix this time because I enjoy most everything else about the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update:

My dealer has let me know they'll need to keep the car for up to 2 weeks. The car needs an evaporator, and according to the dealer, there are 59 on order from Japan by folks in our region (PNW, I guess), so I'm on the wait list. I asked if they'd have to remove the dashboard to perform the fix, but the head service guy said all the work to be done is done from the passenger's side of the dash area via the glove-box area. Mazda has yet to release a TSB about this, although they're clearly aware. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hopefully it only takes 2-weeks. My dealer realistically expects it to be the end of May before the replacement evaporator arrives, so I'll be without my car for about 2-months. At least it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Sucks for dealers since there is so much labor involved and warranty work pays so little.

I hope your service guy is right about accessing the evaporator through the glove box. Mine said the dash has to be removed and the it's a 15-20 hour job.

My dealer has let me know they'll need to keep the car for up to 2 weeks. The car needs an evaporator, and according to the dealer, there are 59 on order from Japan by folks in our region (PNW, I guess), so I'm on the wait list. I asked if they'd have to remove the dashboard to perform the fix, but the head service guy said all the work to be done is done from the passenger's side of the dash area via the glove-box area. Mazda has yet to release a TSB about this, although they're clearly aware. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good luck! I'd be pretty surprised if they can get it out through the glovebox area only without removing the dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got my car back & so far so good--2 days straight with working A/C. They did have to remove the dash after all, so I've tried to keep an eye out for squeaks & rattles as a result, but nothing so far. After having a Mazda-5 loaner car for over a week, I'm super happy to be back in the CX-3. Mazda is aware of the evaporator issues, so my hope is they can speed up the process of securing replacement parts for US owners to reduce the wait times. I feel as though I was lucky to get my car back in under 2 weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

15 Days ago, Dealer recharged the AC Gas and all was working perfect but...Surprise!!! Today I began with the same issue, strange sound and no cold air. I took it immediately to the dealer and they said me that there is no gas again, so they will unmount the compressor to check if it has a leakage. Let you know how things go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Evaporator Issue

Hi Guys,

Finally dealer figured out that the issue is the evaporator, going to wait 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive.

By the way Im from Mexico, so this issue is affecting Mazda CX3 globally.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mazda knows full well it's the evaporator pretty much every time, so I don't get why we're seeing so many reports of the same 2- and 3-visit process first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well my A/C took a dump. Same symptoms as listed above. Smells like band aids or burnt band aids. Strange low thumping noise from under the dash. Took in today and requested that they don't just charge the system with freon just for me to come back in a few days. Very disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Yes it's frustrating. I remember in one of my first posts speculating that there is a level of risk in buying a brand new model.

When I was testing and developing brakes, we used to do the most exhaustive and abusive tests - way beyond the limits that they would be subject to in the real world. We'd repeat things over and over, do in house vehicle tests and then controlled field tests then extended field tests. It seemed like we knew everything when they were signed off for production and went on sale to the public. Sometimes it was only days before one of those vehicles would give the impression we'd made the friction material in a back alley with chewing gum.

All I can say to anyone with this problem is, keep your chin up, they'll sort it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!!!

Yesterday I pick up my CX3 from the dealer with the new evaporator, cold air and hot air is working well but I noticed a strange sound like a little electrical motor under the dash and next to the motor. I went to dealer again to discover that the compressor is not working well and they have to change it too. Very Bad News. New compressor arrives in 8 days. Let you know guys how things go. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Yesterday I pick up my CX3 from the dealer with the new evaporator, cold air and hot air is working well but I noticed a strange sound like a little electrical motor under the dash and next to the motor. I went to dealer again to discover that the compressor is not working well and they have to change it too. Very Bad News. New compressor arrives in 8 days. Let you know guys how things go. :(
Strange, I can't see how a whirring noise under the dash can be attributed to the compressor on the front of the engine but they should know best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: so the dealer called me to confirm that it is indeed a leak at the evaporator. This is after I insisted not to, just add freon and hand me the car back. There is however a back order on the part so i will need to wait 48 hours just to provide me with a part delivery date. Such B.S. Looks like I'm out of the CX3 for about two weeks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts