Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new car (Oct 2019), just put on summers with performance rims 1 week ago and ran over a nail on the highway resulting in a flat + ruined tire sidewalks. Dealership says the rim has to be replaced as well as the $200+ tire. Another $535. Plus installation. For 1 wheel. Why do I feel like I’m being ripped off?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Granted you're using Canadian Funbux instead of Freedom Money - it's because you're at the dealership. Dealer's going to source a brand new part from the manufacturer, and put the OEM spec tire on it that they're going to sell you at a dealer price. How long were you driving that it wrecked the wheel? Seems a bit silly that they need to replace it.

You can probably source a used wheel cheaper (though the 2019+ 18x7s are pricey regardless - you might be SOL there. You mention "performance rims" - what are those?). The price of that tire seems a bit obscene - but it's the OEM tire in its oddball size (assuming the 18" wheels), and - again - from a dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The price of that tire seems a bit obscene - but it's the OEM tire in its oddball size (assuming the 18" wheels), and - again - from a dealer.
The price of tires in Canada is obscene. A couple of hundred for an 18" tire is actually considered reasonable up here. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer price on the tire is comparable to that of most of the local tire distributers.

Matching a factory rim on a newer car is next to impossible without buying it from the dealer. The only other options would be an auto wrecker, or someone selling factory take-offs on Kijiji.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would say try ebay, craigslist/local regional variant of those. Usually people like me who have swapped out wheels want to get rid of the oem ones. I would rather get a full set of new aftermarket wheels than go to the dealer for a replacement of just one at their price.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
OE wheels and tires are almost always offensively expensive from official sources.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts