Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: This will apply to the awd versions since theres no rear diff and such for the fwd-
Edit2: apparently the mileage recommendation is 30k which people still probably have surpassed most likely

Greetings again,

So I may be one of the few people with the oldest cx-3 with the least amount of miles and usually I have a thing about every 5 years or so to do crucial fluids such as transmission+ differential + transfercase. I still do oil changes twice a year regardless of mileage because Im not an animal. For reference I have 18,015 miles as of the most recent service today ,that I dont take to the dealer because they are overpriced in my opinion and local shops here order dealer fluids anyways.

But anyways I wanted to post a reminder for those serious about keeping the cx-3 for a long time to do the differential and transfer case fluids at least. In the 18k miles it has, maybe 4k-ish(?) were done with the heavy bf goodrich ko2 tires. The car was not abused in anyway with the exception of the extra load needing to be moved because of the offroad tires weight at 36 psi.

So I had my car done at a shop near my house because I just happen to know and trust a few of the technicians there and it cost about $102 for each, the differential and transfer case. It cost $225 out the door which will probably vary in your region pricing but just an idea of what to pay since the dealer wanted 500 each..

I dont have a picture since it was a quick view at the moment before they dumped it but my differential fluid was surprisingly dirty. Considering this is a low mileage cx3 I can only imagine what condition others' might be in. It could also be perfectly fine but I usually schedule things by time vs mileage. Time still has an effect on a fluid's effectiveness. Im getting transmission fluid done tomorrow but damn it was weird to see this on the cx-3 so soon. Thankfully the diff is in good condition still and no metal shavings which I would be absolutely shocked if there was in the first place but I figured itd be a good reminder for 2016 owners or even those with higher mileages to have it taken care of it they want longevity in the vehicle.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If youre wondering why I even did this in the first place, I bought a used jeep wrangler with low miles in december and the rear diff was absolutely destroyed with burnt fluid and metal shavings. Ended up selling it later on but that car taught me alot about the importance of maintenance especially PREVENTATIVE maintence with the key word being preventing catastrophic bs repairs like that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanted to update since transmission drain and fill. Shifting is smoother and old fluid had definitely seen better days even at 18k. My hard shift moments have basically been reduced to non existent. Its a simple thing which surprisingly has an effect on the way the car drives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts