Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my steering is having issues and I’ve been back and forth with Mazda and no one feels the issue when they test drive it for 5 minutes.
When driving the steering feels ‘notchy’ and when turning slightly left on a bend on the highway (for example) the steering wheel ‘sticks’ on that position and doesn’t correct itself and has resistance when I try and correct it. Resulting in me pulling on it and at times over correcting it.
Happening more when turning left.
I have read a few Honda Civic forums that describe exactly what my car does and then had the EPS rack assembly replaced.

I had the steering shaft replaced earlier in the year and the issue was gone for about 6 weeks and has now returned.
I’m at my wits end with this car, my battle with Mazda and Mazda Australia!
I have had 4 family members drive my car and can replicate exactly what I’m talking about but no one from Mazda can.
When I last for my car back from Mazda I drove it with them for 5 minutes and it was perfect. Now home and next day and it’s started again!!

I need some help or someone who knows what this could be!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my steering is having issues and I’ve been back and forth with Mazda and no one feels the issue when they test drive it for 5 minutes.
When driving the steering feels ‘notchy’ and when turning slightly left on a bend on the highway (for example) the steering wheel ‘sticks’ on that position and doesn’t correct itself and has resistance when I try and correct it. Resulting in me pulling on it and at times over correcting it.
Happening more when turning left.
I have read a few Honda Civic forums that describe exactly what my car does and then had the EPS rack assembly replaced.

I had the steering shaft replaced earlier in the year and the issue was gone for about 6 weeks and has now returned.
I’m at my wits end with this car, my battle with Mazda and Mazda Australia!
I have had 4 family members drive my car and can replicate exactly what I’m talking about but no one from Mazda can.
When I last for my car back from Mazda I drove it with them for 5 minutes and it was perfect. Now home and next day and it’s started again!!

I need some help or someone who knows what this could be!!
I’m experiencing the same problem. The dealership could not feel the problem in their brief drive. The service manager said their technicians are not paid to drive it any further. I’m searching the web for others with this problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m experiencing the same problem. The dealership could not feel the problem in their brief drive. The service manager said their technicians are not paid to drive it any further. I’m searching the web for others with this problem.
which Mazda dealership have you been going too ? Which country ?
I think I could have possibly found what it could be but have to wait till Monday to speak to Mazda.
I have a Mazda field technician come and drive my car after rebooting the computer system and they couldn’t feel it. 2 days later it started playing up again.
How old is your Mazda cx3?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 cx3 with only 3000 miles. It has done this since it was new. I’m in the USA Kentucky. The problem has gotten progressively worse. The car is leased so it will be traded within a year. It’s annoying the dealership won’t take the time to feel the problem. I had it checked two days ago. Please post if your resolution is successful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2020 cx3 with only 3000 miles. It has done this since it was new. I’m in the USA Kentucky. The problem has gotten progressively worse. The car is leased so it will be traded within a year. It’s annoying the dealership won’t take the time to feel the problem. I had it checked two days ago. Please post if your resolution is successful.
I have a case with Mazda Australia and have a field technician coming to drive my car on Friday.I have had about 5 test drives and services etc and no one can feel what the car is doing when they drive it, yet I drive away adn it starts... May I ask what build date your CX3 is and is it 2wd for AWD ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a case with Mazda Australia and have a field technician coming to drive my car on Friday.I have had about 5 test drives and services etc and no one can feel what the car is doing when they drive it, yet I drive away adn it starts... May I ask what build date your CX3 is and is it 2wd for AWD ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Shelby I currently have my 2019 CX3 2wd in the workshop at Mazda on the Central Coast NSW, I have had the exact same steering problems as you since March this year and each time I took it to Mazda they couldn’t replicate the issue, when I’m on the freeway the steering sticks when turning and there is resistance when you try to straighten up. I have now been waiting for 5 weeks (they have given me a hire car) for Mazda to order a new steering column, it’s been on back order and have been given an ETA of 5/6, I was hoping this replacement would solve the problem but am now concerned as your having the same problem 6 weeks after getting the steering shaft replaced. Zoom Zoom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Shelby I currently have my 2019 CX3 2wd in the workshop at Mazda on the Central Coast NSW, I have had the exact same steering problems as you since March this year and each time I took it to Mazda they couldn’t replicate the issue, when I’m on the freeway the steering sticks when turning and there is resistance when you try to straighten up. I have now been waiting for 5 weeks (they have given me a hire car) for Mazda to order a new steering column, it’s been on back order and have been given an ETA of 5/6, I was hoping this replacement would solve the problem but am now concerned as your having the same problem 6 weeks after getting the steering shaft replaced. Zoom Zoom
Hi Jules,
Well after yesterday they have ordered a new steering shaft for me cause my second one (the replacement) is faulty and notch’s and is what is causing my steering issue!
So that’s good that you have one coming but record your kilometres when you get your car back incase this one plays up again as they may need to recall the part.
They told me 2/3 weeks for the new part but i told them when it started playing up again that it was the same part and no one checked it ‘cause it’s already been replaced’.
Just keep an eye on the new part :) but hopefully this fixes the issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jules,
Well after yesterday they have ordered a new steering shaft for me cause my second one (the replacement) is faulty and notch’s and is what is causing my steering issue!
So that’s good that you have one coming but record your kilometres when you get your car back incase this one plays up again as they may need to recall the part.
They told me 2/3 weeks for the new part but i told them when it started playing up again that it was the same part and no one checked it ‘cause it’s already been replaced’.
Just keep an eye on the new part :) but hopefully this fixes the issue
Hi Shelby
Fingers crossed that both our new Steering Shafts that they’ve ordered will fix the issue, thanks for the advice I will definitely keep track of the kilometres once it has been installed.
Thanks for your reply, I’ll keep you posted 🙂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Shelby and Jules...I have a 2020 2WD CX3...2nd hand with 5000k on it...I have only had it for a few months...I have noticed this same problem with the steering "sticking" ever so slightly but today it did it quite a lot more and scared me actually as I was on the M1...I guess I will show them these messages when I take it in. I wonder if this is why it was traded in??? Hmm.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Shelby and Jules...I have a 2020 2WD CX3...2nd hand with 5000k on it...I have only had it for a few months...I have noticed this same problem with the steering "sticking" ever so slightly but today it did it quite a lot more and scared me actually as I was on the M1...I guess I will show them these messages when I take it in. I wonder if this is why it was traded in??? Hmm.....
Hi Kimmy, yes I would show them this post. Where are you located ?
I had a field service technician and my Dad finally figure out the problem and if your car is doing it also I am wondering how many others are beingdriven aroundwith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I pressed post before finishing. My case will be registered and Mazda will be able to see it. The guy works based in Botany who came and looked at my car. Kimmy I would show them this forum though as I took 5 months for them to work it out with mine. And it gradually gets worse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I pressed post before finishing. My case will be registered and Mazda will be able to see it. The guy works based in Botany who came and looked at my car. Kimmy I would show them this forum though as I took 5 months for them to work it out with mine. And it gradually gets worse.
Hi Kimmy yep it’s scary I drive on the M1 everyday, Gosford Mazda have had my CX3 since 29/4/21 the steering shaft was meant to be delivered yesterday but has now been delayed until the ending of June.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m getting it fitted at Nowra Mazda but the Mazda field technician ordered it..

Maybe cause yours is a 2019 ?
Surely it can’t be that different though. It’s the same car model

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m getting it fitted at Nowra Mazda but the Mazda field technician ordered it..

Maybe cause yours is a 2019 ?
Surely it can’t be that different though. It’s the same car model
Thanks Shelby I’ll call Mazda @ Gosford on Monday and ask them what’s going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Kimmy yep it’s scary I drive on the M1 everyday, Gosford Mazda have had my CX3 since 29/4/21 the steering shaft was meant to be delivered yesterday but has now been delayed until the ending of June.
Hi again Shelby and Jules...an update for you...I took my car into Wollongong Mazda today and explained the issue. The lady who served me on the service desk had had the same issue with her car and said that they had had several already. The service manager drove the car and despite me saying he would need to taje it on the nearby motorway...he was able to replicate the problem in their car park and video it!!!...they are sending a report to mazda and should be subsequently ordering my parts...fingers crossed...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have posted the USA technical fix below in the discussion

1 - 20 of 39 Posts